Seren?

Which pronunciation is most correct, or would be most used in the US? Which do you personally prefer?

SAIR-en (like sarah)

OR

SUH-ren (Kind of like corrine, or the first part of serenity?)

OR

Something else?

I think Iā€™m saying it closer to sair-in but I donā€™t know whatā€™s more correct.

3 Likes

I pronounce it SEER-in, but Iā€™m not sure what would be the most common pronunciation

1 Like

I would default to sair-en like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f].

for suh-RIN I would spell maybe Serin or Serinne.

2 Likes

Does sair-en or sair-in sound too much like Sarin gas to be used as a name?

Iā€™d say ā€˜Seh-renā€™

4 Likes

Its correct pronunciation in Welsh is seh-ren.

6 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] pronounciation is closer to Seh-ren than either option suggested

2 Likes

iā€™m british, so probably canā€™t equate pronunciations exactly, but I say this SEH-rən, rhymes with heron (the bird). emphasis is strongly on the first syllable, so much closer to your first option. i couldnā€™t imagine this being pronounced otherwise. this is the name of one of my close friends !! she gets her name mistaken for sarah semi-regularly

edit: i think the best way i can describe the pronunciation is like the number seven !! obviously swap the v sound for an r, but the vowel sounds and rhythm are all the same

5 Likes

Is that like suh-ren? Like corrinne? Im not sure how to do the seh sound.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you know where i can find an audio of the welsh pronunciation? Seh and suh sound the same to me so i cant differentiate.

@RhiaTayler sorry to be confusing! Seh like the sound in set. I guess it leans more to Sair-ren, but gentler

1 Like

This website has audio clips for the pronunciation of Seren in Welsh: https://forvo.com/word/seren/#cy :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Seeing the various comments here & I wonder how much of the difference of peopleā€™s idea of the pronunciation of [name_u]Seren[/name_u] is actually a difference in peopleā€™s pronunciation of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] & I am from Midwest USA. Iā€™ve noticed in watching [name_f]British[/name_f] TV shows & from my [name_f]British[/name_f] sister-in-law that the [name_f]British[/name_f] pronunciation of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] if pretty different than what Iā€™ve ever heard for my name in the USA. The vowel in the ā€œsarā€ is different, and to me the [name_f]British[/name_f] pronunciation of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] almost sounds like ā€œsay-ruhā€. For me, the first syllable of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] & heron have the same vowel sound.

1 Like

Sair en

1 Like

I say (SAIR-en) like your first pronunciation

1 Like

Neither, itā€™s more like Seh-ren.

1 Like

[name_u]Ive[/name_u] seen several say the same thing. I did listen to a bunch of audio clips of the name pronounced in welsh as seh-ren and i just think in my american accent i cant get the sounds quite right. Probably will just avoid this one since i cant pronounce it the correct way.