Serious question?

Hi all, we’ve narrowed our boys names down and one of our favourites is [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], the baby would be called [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Now here is a very real question from my husband, I hope this doesn’t offend anyone.

My husband and I are Scottish and we’ve been living in [name_u]Texas[/name_u] for 4 years.

We adopted a pug 3 years ago and being the completely not creative peoples that we are we named him [name_m]Pablo[/name_m] because at that time we were being watching Narcos! Plus it’s cute right, [name_m]Pablo[/name_m] the pug.

Anyway, a little back story to my husbands thought process, one time a sweet older lady asked us his name and I hesitated and said “Eh, [name_m]Pablo[/name_m]” which she took to be “[name_f]El[/name_f] [name_m]Pablo[/name_m]” and proceeded to speak Spanish to us and [name_m]Pablo[/name_m], which was super sweet but awkward.

Here’s his concern. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is of german and Spanish origin, and he’s wondering if it would be seen as weird or offensive, in [name_u]Texas[/name_u], US, with a large Hispanic populations, if we, two very Scottish people, have a dog called [name_m]Pablo[/name_m] and a son called [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

Bare in mind we don’t pronounce them in Spanish accents, we have very thick Scottish accents so it does sound different but honestly it never crossed
[name_f]My[/name_f] mind and wouldn’t have if we still lived at
Home.

Again I hope this doesn’t offend anyone But yeah there we are on [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Is it appropriate ?

2 Likes

Hugo [name_u]James[/name_u] is appropriate !

4 Likes

I think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is absolutely fine and not inappropriate in the slightest! I don’t associate [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] with being a Spanish name at all- it’s very international and not weird at all for a Scottish baby. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is a very handsome name.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s offensive at all! I’m hispanic and I live in a place with a huge hispanic population and I’ll think you’ll be fine! I’ve never met a [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and I don’t think people will automatically connect it to a hispanic name. Ps. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is so beautiful!

3 Likes

Thank you thank you! I also don’t jump to a Spanish connection with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], it’s very german to me, but we wanted to respect if it was and if it was potentially offensive with our Spanish names dog!

I also love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], I’m just in love with it, I hope this finally chills him out.

2 Likes

I think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] would br absolutely fine! [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] strikes me as very international

2 Likes

I live in [name_u]Texas[/name_u] and wouldn’t bat an eye at this at all.

2 Likes

Hugo is the latinised version of [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] which I believe has Irish and Scottish Origins anyway?! So [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] should be okay especially with the mn [name_u]James[/name_u] which is very Scottish/English sounding. lovely combo by the way!!

3 Likes

I’m Hispanic and I actually don’t find it offensive to name your child [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it is quite popular within the Hispanic community I don’t think it is actually a name that holds any real meaning or importance to us.

Do bear into account that being in [name_u]Texas[/name_u] with such a big Hispanic community you’ll probably get the oo-goh pronunciation quite often

2 Likes

Being spanish myself, I think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is pretty international, and with your accent it doesn’t sound like we pronounce it here. I agree [name_m]Pablo[/name_m] is 100% hispanic, but, you know, lots of dogs are named [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u] or [name_u]Bobby[/name_u] in Spanish.

Btw, [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is super handsome!

2 Likes

I also live somewhere with a large Hispanic community, and I wouldn’t think twice if there was a caucasian boy named [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. Such a handsome name btw!

2 Likes

I think it’s appropriate but actually my concern would be that they sound too similar and I would want my child to have a really different sounding name.

For instance our cat’s name is [name_f]Florence[/name_f], so I took [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] off our list for a girl. [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] would be odd!

1 Like

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is a very international name. I think it will be fine to use it no matter where you are living.

I did a quick search online and found 2 Scotsmen with the name [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. One in particular was born in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] and immigrated to Hermosillo, Mexico in the 1820s and settled in Los [name_f]Angeles[/name_f] County, [name_u]California[/name_u] when it was still apart of Mexico (1830s). He was a famous rancher and ethnographer for his day. He is still remembered today in Southern California, and he is honoured throughout Arcadia, CA specifically.

1 Like

I live in Southern [name_u]Texas[/name_u] and I wouldn’t think anything odd about meeting a little Scottish [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] or a pug named [name_m]Pablo[/name_m]. Or both at the same time. :blush: I say go for it!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s offensive at all! You picked a great name. :blush:

1 Like

Huh? The only similarity between [name_m]Pablo[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is that they both end with o.

Definitely not inappropriate. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is a fantastic name!

1 Like

Hugo [name_u]James[/name_u] is a fantastic choice.

It’s a combo we have floated around for a future baby ourselves.

1 Like

Thank you for replying, although I’m not asking are they are similar, I’m asking if it’s appropriate for a Scottish couple living amongst a Hispanic community to name both their sons with Spanish names.

Thank you everyone! Showed my husband all your responses and it’s back on top of the list yay!

1 Like