Settle this argument...

We’re expecting baby no2. We don’t know what we’re having yet, but we’ve started discussing names…

For a girl, my husband has for ages loved the name [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I think it’s lovely too, but have told him it can’t possibly happen. Why? Our last name is [name_m]Simpson[/name_m], and I don’t think we can consider anything that could be shortened to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]!

He argues that The Simpsons is not even popular anymore…to which I say “if you had two boys, even now, you wouldn’t consider calling them [name_m]Fred[/name_m] and [name_m]Barney[/name_m]”

Thoughts?

I personally have never met a [name_f]Margot[/name_f] who shortened it or nicknamed it.

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m], “[name_f]Margot[/name_f]” might have the [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m] problem, but I probably wouldn’t have thought of it at all on my own.

You never know what associations people will have with names, or where there minds will go, but I wouldn’t fret over it. Especially since [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is such a lovely name.

are you planning on finding out what you’re having? Before we found out i had let my husband think his first boy pick was fine-ish, hoping it wouldn’t matter, but i had to veto it later.

theres a couple prongs to this. I want to say [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is not usually shortened to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], but it could be, in my experience [name_f]Margot[/name_f] goes by just [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. But at some point someone is bound to make the connection. The [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]'s is not that popular anymore, and it’s possible our children may only know vaguely of them, but the parents will know, and probably often make this association of anyone named [name_m]Bart[/name_m], [name_m]Homer[/name_m] or even [name_f]Marge[/name_f], even without the last name [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]. [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] isn’t a problem on it’s own, only when you add [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]. It’s why, though I love [name_m]Homer[/name_m] the poet, I could not seriously consider naming my son [name_m]Homer[/name_m], unfortunately. So, I certainly see your point.

While [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] in full might have the same problem, it has more varied nickname options, you could use [name_f]Margo[/name_f] as a nn, or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], or [name_f]Greta[/name_f], which are [name_f]IMO[/name_f], far away from [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Marge[/name_f]. And [name_f]Marge[/name_f] (and [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]) [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]'s full name is [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f].

I actually think it would be okay, in this case! I would’ve never thought to shorten [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (a short enough, two syllable name) to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] (which wouldn’t be a “shorter” form of [name_f]Margot[/name_f]…still two syllables!). I would also agree that The Simpsons aren’t as relevant today as the show was years ago…and by the time your child would be old enough to be in school, that show would probably be longer over anyway. I consider [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m] to be a forgettable character anyway…[name_m]Bart[/name_m] or [name_m]Homer[/name_m] would be a whole lot worse to use in this case. Also, for what it’s worth, I work with a woman who is named [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]…that’s her full first name. She is in her early 20s and said she has had no problems with it whatsoever!

If you go with [name_f]Margot[/name_f], which truly is lovely, and people try to call her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], you can try to correct them. It should stick. Or you could go for a longer form, like [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], and make [name_f]Margot[/name_f] the nickname. Or you could give her a double-barrel name…like [name_f]Margot[/name_f]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f]. I wouldn’t stress out about it too much! People can find ways to tease any name or first name/last name combination.

I think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is fine with [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]. It’s not likely the nickname would often be paired with the surname (in my experience), so I think it’s fine. Plus [name_f]Margot[/name_f] isn’t likely to be immediately nicknamed [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] by most, either.

Oh god, I’m going to have to tell him he might be right! Haha!

Thanks

I know two Margots and neither has even gone by [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. In fact, the name is pretty nickname-proof–both are only ever called [name_f]Margot[/name_f] or organic nicknames (i.e. [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f], etc).

If the name were [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], I’d agree with you. My husband and I are huge Simpsons fans (there was an inside Simpsons joke in our wedding vows) and I never would’ve thought of the [name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m] connection…

I can’t think of a reason why [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would be nicknamed [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].