Sewing Enthusiasts

I’ve just decided to get back into sewing, and some other crafty hobbies I liked when I was younger. I’m especially interested in sewing stuffed animals and dolls (which I’ll then be able to name :smirk: ). I have plans for possibly donating and maybe even selling things eventually if I get skilled enough, but that’s looking a little further down the line. Here’s the most work intensive thing I’ve ever handsewn, a little elephant from a pattern I got on Etsy. His name is [name_u]Andy[/name_u] :elephant:
I made him about ten years ago, and I think he needs some friends :teddy_bear:

andy (2)

Anyone else like to sew? What kind of things do you like to make? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you ever make your own patterns/alter existing ones? For small pieces, do you prefer handsewing or machine sewing? [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to discussing anything sewing/crafting related here! I also like knitting, although I’m much newer to that.

1 Like

Andy is cute!!!

I do all the mending in my family. Which is a lot cause we have a cat who chews cloth.

I did get into finger knitting, but I was terrible at it and couldn’t figure it out. I tried to make a doll swimsuit and skirt once and it sorta worked…

1 Like

Thanks!

I have a cat too and she definitely likes to mess with projects. [name_f]My[/name_f] friends had cats that could unzip bags and once we were readng lines at their house and the cats unzipped our friend’s bag and took her knitting out.

I’ve never tried finger knitting! Unless that loopity loop yarn counts. Making clothes seems hard, so kudos for that! I’m hoping to make clothes for the dolls/plushes, and fingers crossed they look decent. It would be nice to one day make real clothes, but doll clothes seem like good practice since they take less materials.

1 Like

[name_u]Andy[/name_u] is so cute! When I was younger, I made (okay fine, my and my aunt did) a yellow knitted cat stuffy from a kit, which I named [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] was my first big introduction to sewing.

With my best friend when I was younger, we tried to make [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] clothes… the skirts were okay… and the less said about the shirts, the better.
I’ve gotten better at sewing and now I really enjoy it!

1 Like

Thanks! That’s funny, my name is [name_f]Lily[/name_f] :smile: That’s nice that your aunt helped you learn to sew. [name_f]My[/name_f] friend’s mom would sew with the two of us and I really enjoyed that.

I can’t blame you, I’ve never attempted doll clothes but they seem tricky! Especially shirts with the little tiny sleeves.

1 Like

Oh yeah! Two [name_f]Lily[/name_f]'s! Maybe it’s a sign…

One of the most memorable doll sewing happenings was in kindergarten. Me and my friend wanted to make our dolls new shirts for a fashion show. Well… we tried. In the end, we ended up taping the sleeves and accidentally cutting holes in them! :roll_eyes:
I still have it though, and it was really funny now that I look back at it.

1 Like

I want to learn how to sew and knit though I don’t have time for it now. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom knows how to sew but she never taught me :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I recently found free online classes, one for hand sewing and one for machine sewing! There are probably similar videos on youtube as well. I find handsewing to be very easy although very time consuming. On a machine, it’s nice to practice with simple shapes like pillows. Maybe your mom could give you a quick lesson some day when you have more time.

As for knitting, I’ve only ever knit a scarf, but it’s not too hard after the first couple of rows. One of my theatre professors made us all learn for some reason, and he gave us resources. There was a youtube video for casting on, and then he gave us another for casting off (not sure if that’s the right terminology). I still only know one stitch for now, but that’s good enough for now. One thing I like about knitting is, although it requires focus, it’s pretty relaxing, and it’s easy to work on it for a few minutes here and there rather than needing a large block of time.

1 Like