Share Your Character Name Bank!

Hey writerberries! I know I’m not the only one who has a list of names they have on deck to use for future characters, so I thought we could drop them here to share and discuss!
Here’s the link to my list
The two I want to use most these days are [name_u]Minnow[/name_u] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m]. I love names that feel like they have a lot of personality.

What names are you hoping to use in your writing some day? What draws you to them?

2 Likes

If I made a whole list of all the names I find intriguing to use on characters some day, it would take me months to make it. So, I’m just gonna go with my top ones that I really absolutely have to use on characters someday.

Shiloh Hark (boy; I have an idea for a character named this and I just have to write him someday)
[name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u] (girl; her first & middle names; it’s the name of a subdivision of houses that I passed one day and thought “character! Character! Character!” so now I have to write her)
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u] & [name_f]Opal[/name_f] (brother and sister; I just think they sound super cool together)
[name_u]Thunder[/name_u] & [name_f]Lightning[/name_f] (twins; because one cannot exist without the other)
[name_f]Everleigh[/name_f] “[name_u]Ever[/name_u]” & Lovelle / Loveah (luh-vay-uh) / Lovelia (luh-vay-lee-uh) “[name_u]Love[/name_u]” (as sisters, cause I think [name_u]Ever[/name_u] & [name_u]Love[/name_u] would be so sweet as sisters’ nicknames)
Dianthus or [name_f]Diantha[/name_f] (girl; because of Dianthus Caryophyllus — the scientific name of a carnation, — which means “I will never forget you”)
[name_m]Raymont[/name_m] (I heard this in place of [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] on a show, and I just fell in love with the idea of using it for a character)
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] & [name_u]Rooney[/name_u] (as siblings, just cause I think it would be so adorable!)
And then! I have this idea to name cousins (in age order) the chronological order of all the books of the Bible. [name_f]May[/name_f] sound insane, but I’m telling you, I’m gonna find the story for it. It’s so weird that I think it’ll be amazing.

2 Likes

Bellamy
[name_u]Laurel[/name_u]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

Tobison [name_u]Shaw[/name_u]- can’t decide how I want to use it.

Otto

1 Like

Girls:
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f](nickname [name_u]Evan[/name_u])
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] McCarthy(McCarthy is her last name)

Boys:
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Fisk[/name_m]
[name_m]Jax[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_u]Mallory[/name_u] for twin girls, because [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] means ‘good fortune’ and I think [name_u]Mallory[/name_u] means ‘unfortunate’? It’s just something I like the idea of.
I also really like jewel and colour names, so I’d love to find a character to use one on. [name_u]Blue[/name_u] is fairly popular for main character names on Quotev, which I use more frequently than Wattpad, so I’d probably not use that, but you can’t go wrong with [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f].
I really want to have a character named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. Not sure why, I just do.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] list is pretty long. :sweat_smile:

Lleweylln
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_m]Eldin[/name_m]
[name_m]Link[/name_m]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_u]Layton[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_m]Parley[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_f]Anwen[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
Luni
[name_f]Eira[/name_f]
[name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_m]Faron[/name_m]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
… and more. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time I see a name I even like slightly it gets added.

1 Like

I’m not a novelist or anything, but I love writing my character backstories for Dungeons & Dragons. Here’s my D&D name bank:

Dwarvish names:
[name_m]Baldur[/name_m], [name_m]Erland[/name_m], [name_m]Haldor[/name_m], [name_m]Holger[/name_m], Keld, Olavo, [name_m]Sten[/name_m], [name_m]Thorvald[/name_m], [name_f]Toril[/name_f], [name_m]Ulf[/name_m], [name_m]Ansgar[/name_m], [name_m]Arvid[/name_m]
[name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Dagmar[/name_f], [name_m]Ingemar[/name_m], [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f], [name_f]Solveig[/name_f], Borghild, [name_m]Eldrid[/name_m], [name_m]Selig[/name_m], Odelgarde
Last names: Gunborg, [name_m]Helmer[/name_m]

Elvish names:
[name_m]Janus[/name_m], Mithras, [name_u]Tiberinus[/name_u], Klidonas
[name_f]Aureliana[/name_f], [name_f]Dulcinea[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Celestina[/name_f], [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], [name_f]Ignatia[/name_f], [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], [name_f]Ariella[/name_f], Tadala

Halfling names:
[name_u]Gus[/name_u], Sperry/Sparry (all short for Asparagus), Pistachio, Evinrude, [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Archie[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Digby[/name_m]
[name_f]Ginger[/name_f], Rutabaga, [name_f]Tigerlily[/name_f], [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f], [name_u]Ember[/name_u], [name_f]Brenna[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Moira[/name_f], Aubergine, [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Effie[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Posy[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Maisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pansy[/name_f], [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
Last names: Gammidge, Collard, Plantain, Snodgrass, Beetroot, Horseradish, Chestnut, Nut, [name_m]Cotton[/name_m], Beeswax, Boffin, Bunce, Honeycutt, Hedgerows, Bellwether, Wick
Full names: [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_u]Fennel[/name_u], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] Onion

3 Likes

I love D&D too!

1 Like

Here are names I’d like to use. They’re for a family in a future story.

[name_m]Troy[/name_m] - grandfather
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m] - father
[name_f]Linda[/name_f] - mother, Troy’s daughter
[name_u]Daniel[/name_u] “Danny” - son
[name_f]Sara[/name_f] - eldest daughter
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] - youngest daughter
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f] - Danny’s wife
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] - [name_u]Danny[/name_u] & Amanda’s toddler daughter

[name_f]Luna[/name_f]- Main character, magical
Vesper/Vespera- robot girl (part-robot, part-human)
Dexter/Dex- Vespera’s best friend, human, knows tech
[name_u]Echo[/name_u]- Luna’s grandmother, witch
[name_u]January[/name_u]- Bookstore owner, Luna’s mom

1 Like

For a 2000s chick flick style story-

[name_f]Gracie[/name_f] [name_u]Eden[/name_u] (protagonist)
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_u]Blair[/name_u] (antagonist)
& [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] + [name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Paige[/name_f] (her friends)
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] [name_u]Evan[/name_u] (male love interest)
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_m]Winters[/name_m] (artsy, filmmaker, poetic friends)
Lily-Anne [name_u]Louise[/name_u] (younger sister)
Miss [name_f]Selene[/name_f] (mentor)
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f] (side characters)

1 Like