Shay?

Know on nameberry [name_u]Shay[/name_u] is either a nickname or a girl’s name. I don’t know if it could be a stand alone name, wdyt? Also, if you think it is only a nickname, what could be a full name besides [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] or [name_u]Shane[/name_u]

With the rise of surname names I think O’[name_u]Shea[/name_u] could actually be a really cool first name, especially paired with a traditional middle. Like O’[name_u]Shea[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] or O’[name_u]Shea[/name_u] [name_m]Brandon[/name_m]

[name_u]Shay[/name_u] can work on its own, but [name_u]Shay[/name_u] is more popular on girls which makes me hesitant. I really like it for a guy, but all the Shays I’ve met are girls. I’m not sure what it could be nn for, sorry.

I like it as a given name but spelled [name_u]Shea[/name_u].

I’ve only met one [name_u]Shay[/name_u], and he was a boy. I think [name_u]Shea[/name_u] is the more feminine spelling, but that’s just me!

[name_u]Shay[/name_u] is used as a girls name?! I have only ever heard it on a boy, but spelt [name_u]Shea[/name_u]. I have also seen Sea (prn [name_u]Shay[/name_u]) as a nn for [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I think it could work as a stand alone name and I can’t think of any other names it could be a nn for

In 2012, [name_u]Shay[/name_u] was given to 81 girls (plus multiple spellings of [name_f]Shaylee[/name_f] and [name_f]Shaylyn[/name_f]) and 60 boys. [name_u]Shea[/name_u] was given to 170 girls and 127 boys.

I think [name_u]Shay[/name_u] is seen as more feminine because there are so many female names containing “shay” (this list doesn’t include names containing “shai” and “shae”):

[name_f]Shayla[/name_f], [name_f]Shaylah[/name_f],
[name_f]Shaylee[/name_f], Shayleigh, Shaylie, Shayli, Shaylea, Shayley
[name_f]Shayna[/name_f], Shayra
Shaylynn, Shaylin, [name_f]Shaylyn[/name_f], Shaylinn
[name_u]Shayne[/name_u]
Shaylen, Shayden
[name_f]Marshay[/name_f], Marshayla
Shayleen, Shaylene
Ashayla, Jashayla, Mashayla, Deshayla, Lashayla, Tashayla
Nashay, Rashay, Lashay
[name_f]Mishayla[/name_f]
Shayera

I suppose [name_u]Shay[/name_u] can be a nickname for [name_u]Shannon[/name_u]. Actually, I like [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] on a boy.

I prefer it spelled [name_u]Shea[/name_u] on either gender, and [name_u]Shay[/name_u] feels more distinctly feminine, as well as more nickname-y. It’s a nice name!

I know a female named [name_m]Chay[/name_m], pronounced Sh-ay. However, I think it is a solid boy’s name - I think the spelling [name_u]Shay[/name_u] is perfect too.

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is the only one I can think of apart from Shayden but that’s awful and I think the -[name_u]Ayden[/name_u] names are so overdone. I personally think [name_u]Shay[/name_u] works as a stand alone name. If people can get away with just [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_m]Tom[/name_m] then I think [name_u]Shay[/name_u] will be just fine…

[name_u]Shea[/name_u] is my middle name. I would of had the same name whether I was a boy or girl so I can see it on both. I’ve met both genders with the name too. I was named after the Mets old baseball stadium so it makes it seem more masculine to me.