Shelby?

Thoughts on the name [name]Shelby[/name]? I have a son [name]August[/name] (nn [name]Gus[/name]) and a daughter Georia and am having a girl in [name]June[/name]. I have an ongoing list of about 20 names and seem to have a different favorite each week…This week it is [name]Shelby[/name]…and I am getting a lot of positive feedback from family and friends, I just wondered what the Nameberry community thought of it!

I think it’s very beautiful and not really popular. I like it!

My daughter’s name is [name]Georgia[/name], like the state, I see I mispelled it up above

I liek [name]Shelby[/name]. [name]Haven[/name]'t met any and it has a nice ring to it.
Also I think it flows nicely with the other kids names:
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Shelby[/name]

:slight_smile:

I really dislike [name]Shelby[/name]. I don’t think it goes with the classic [name]August[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name]. [name]Shelby[/name] feels trendy and like it will go out of style very quickly. [name]August[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] feel like classic trenchcoats and [name]Shelby[/name] is like a neon coloured bomber jacket or something… cool now but in 20 years? Probably not… I also know a girl in a few of my university classes called [name]Shelby[/name] and it gets a lot of… not negative reactions… but like “oh… interesting” reactions from professors (and others).

[name]Shelby[/name] always reminds me of [name]Steel[/name] Magnolias, which isn’t a bad association but with another daughter named [name]Georgia[/name], you have a little Southern theme. [name]May[/name] not be too noticeable though.

Unless you are smitten by the name, I would pass it up. However, I really like the names of your kids [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]August[/name]!

I really love [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]August[/name], but I’m not personally a [name]Shelby[/name] fan. It has a very different style to me than your other children’s names, so I really can’t see [name]Shelby[/name] in the mix.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Ditto. My thoughts exactly. [name]Shelby[/name] sounds so trendy and lightweight in comparison to your other kids’ names.

I also love [name]August[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] but not [name]Shelby[/name].

What are the other names you’re loving?

[name]Violet[/name] or [name]Delia[/name] are names I think would fit well.

I like [name]Shelby[/name] a lot, but I agree with many other posters that [name]Shelby[/name] feel like it’s a different style (and weight) than your other names.

Also, I think that since both [name]August[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] have a G in them, I’d try to find a third name with a G in it somewhere. For instance:

[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Bridget[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Gillian[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Saige[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Grace[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Agnes[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Margaretta[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Margo[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Angelina[/name]
[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Gabrielle[/name]

I like [name]Shelby[/name]…not too popular, but does not go well with [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]August[/name]. Have you thought of other G names, such as:

[name]Gillian[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]

I have really tried to find a G name- I have already posted once a month ago before I knew it was a girl. Here are the other names with potential:

[name]Genevieve[/name]- nn [name]Gigi[/name]- we both like it but weren’t 100%
[name]Marigold[/name]- nn [name]Goldie[/name]- we liked that it had a G nn but I am not sure if I am wild enought to actually name a real child [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]- family name we talked about possible nn [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Dottie[/name]
[name]Polly[/name]- I have always been a fan of alliteration and our last name starts with P
[name]Margo[/name]- we both “like” it and like how it sounds with our other children’s names but it just doesn’t feel like “the One”
[name]Catalina[/name]- nn [name]Cat[/name]- I love [name]Cat[/name], I can totally picture a cute little girl in my arms and calling her [name]Cat[/name], but [name]Catalina[/name] is pretty exotic, not sure about it with the other names

Anyone care to comment on those?

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Genevieve[/name]: I love it! I totally can see [name]Georgia[/name], [name]August[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name] ([name]Gigi[/name]) together…

[name]Dorothea[/name]: I love this, too…Oh…Dor and Geor rhyme. Hmm…If you’re calling her [name]Thea[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name], I don’t think the Dor/Geor issue is too important.

[name]Polly[/name]: I love [name]Polly[/name]! I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. I think it depends on your specific last name though. (With your last name, does it sound sing-songy, like [name]Polly[/name] Pocket, or just fun like [name]Polly[/name] Pennington? ) Yea! I just checked, and [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] had great things to say about [name]Polly[/name]!

[name]Margo[/name]: I really love [name]Margo[/name], too…[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Margaret[/name]? A [name]Margaret[/name] could be nicknamed [name]Margo[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], etc…

[name]Marigold[/name]: I love this, too, but like you, wouldn’t be brave enough to use it up front. I think it’s adorable!

[name]Catalina[/name]: I think it’s gorgeous, too, but can better picture the other names with [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]August[/name].

I really love so many names on this list!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Shelby[/name] is probably as trendy as [name]Courtney[/name] or [name]Lindsay[/name]. Looking through my 12 year old daughter’s yearbook, there are about 3 or 4 girls named [name]Shelby[/name] in each grade. Not that I don’t like it, but seeing your other kids’ names, I feel like [name]Shelby[/name] wouldn’t fit in. In the yearbook, there is only one [name]Georgia[/name] and no boys named [name]August[/name].

I actually really like this, especially the nickname “[name]Shell[/name]”

I love [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Genevieve[/name]. It goes really well with your other children’s amazing names (you have great taste!). I also like the suggestion of [name]Margaret[/name]. I think [name]Marigold[/name] actually fits into your family of names very well, and [name]Goldie[/name] is too cute! Some other ideas:

[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name] (could be a nn for [name]Margaret[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name]

Good luck!

I really like the previous suggestions of trying to incorporate a “G” in the name somewhere. The name that i immediately thought of was [name]Paige[/name]

It seems to go quite well with [name]August[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name]…

[name]August[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Paige[/name].