She's naming her ... (your thoughts?)

I previously posted about my friend who was having a baby shower (minus the gifts) for her 6th baby, and the guests had to guess the baby’s name. Well, no one guessed the name. And I wasn’t even close! I chose [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], and [name]Eva[/name].

The name… [name]Jezebel[/name].

Any thoughts on this name? I kind of like it, but then I looked up the meaning - “unpure, wicked”! I’m not sure I would name my daughter this just based on the meaning.

I agree-I wouldn’t use [name]Jezebel[/name] because of its unfortunate meaning and association ([name]Jezebel[/name] was an evil [name]Queen[/name] in the bible-I personally don’t know too much about her, but I do know she was quite evil :o ). But I agree, [name]Jezebel[/name] does have an appealing sound. Also, it ends in “bel,” which is a sought-after ending these days when it comes to names (think [name]Isabel[/name]). Perhaps that’s why your friend wants to name her daughter [name]Jezebel[/name]-she likes the sound of it. I wonder if she has researched the meaning of [name]Jezebel[/name]? I’d be kind of surprised if she hasn’t-but then again, that would explain why she hasn’t vetoed [name]Jezebel[/name] and wants to name her daughter it…

You could always ask your friend casually if she has researched the meaning of [name]Jezebel[/name]. If she hasn’t, then maybe she will upon your mention of it. And maybe she will then take the name’s meaning into consideration and decide she’d rather name her daughter a name with a more pleasant meaning. Or, you could just let it go. Of course, your friend has the right to name her daughter anything she wants and you don’t have to go up to her and confront her about the name :wink: But if you felt like you needed to say something, you could always casually ask her if she researched the meaning of the name…once again, I am not saying you have to at all :wink: But if she did indeed research the name’s meaning before, and says something like, “We just really like the name and are going to go with it regardless,” then, so be it, I suppose. :wink:

If she eventually finds out [name]Jezebel[/name]'s meaning (unless she has already), decides to choose a different name, and asks you for new name suggestions, maybe you could suggest [name]Jessabel[/name] or Jessabelle? It’s similar to [name]Jezebel[/name] but just different enough that it probably won’t have the wicked association tagged along with it…or maybe it’s still too similar to [name]Jezebel[/name]?

Best wishes,
~*~Nameseeker3

I have a secret passion for the name [name]Jezebel[/name]. I love it. I would like to see more parents name their child [name]Jezebel[/name]…[name]Delilah[/name] is losing its tarnished image, and I’ve known a couple of women named [name]Salome[/name], so why not? I don’t think that I would be brave enough to name a child [name]Jezebel[/name], however, I like it so much that it is my dog’s name. :smiley:

[name]Jessamine[/name] might be an alternative if she decides against [name]Jezebel[/name].

The problem with [name]Jezebel[/name] is that people still use it and think of it in a bad way, unlike [name]Delilah[/name]. People still call women “Jezebels” and not in a nice way (usually to refer to evil, manipulative woman). There was even a [name]Bette[/name] [name]Davis[/name] movie about it entitled [name]Jezebel[/name]. In the Bible story, [name]Jezebel[/name] is portrayed as pretending to be virtuous and God-fearing, but in reality is very evil and possibly even a prostitute. She even misleads some of the greatest Bible prophets. By contrast, I think most people have forgotten about [name]Delilah[/name]. [name]Delilah[/name] was a wicked woman who seduced [name]Samson[/name] in order to find his source of strength, which was his hair. She then cut it off… seems like “hair” could be substituted for something else there… " :wink:

In any event, while I would potentially use (or have no issue with others using) [name]Damien[/name] or [name]Lucien[/name] or [name]Delilah[/name], I think [name]Jezebel[/name] is just still too closely related to the idea of wickedness, so I wouldn’t use it.

Does it help to know that this lady had no ties to any religion that uses the Bible? If the Bible is not part of her religion, does that then change the circumstances?

Wow, I didnt think anyone had the guts to use the name [name]Jezebel[/name]. The tern “jezebel” is still used to refer to women with uh questionable morals…I wouldnt want to attach that label to my little girl.

@rkarczynski- I’m not religious and [name]Jezebel[/name] still has the same meaning to me. Its a pretty strong connotation for almost everyone, or at least I thought so.

I completely agree with [name]Mila[/name]. I’ve secretly wanted someone to use [name]Jezebel[/name] for a while, though I’d never be able to do it myself. I know all about the Biblical image of [name]Jezebel[/name] and the fairly awful meaning of the name, but the name itself has such great energy and whimsical flair and it sounds so romantic and elegant and fun. It’s hard for me not to like it, even though I probably should…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love [name]Jezebel[/name]. It’s about time we take back the name… and [name]Mallory[/name] means “unlucky”, [name]Claudia[/name] means “lame”, etc. I don’t think the literal meaning should get in the way of a beautiful if neglected name.

The connotation is too strong for me. I mean she was an evil harlot queen who died eaten by dogs.

It has a catchy sound that is a spin on a popular name, but then again, so is Harlotte.

Of course I’m familiar with the term [name]Jezabel[/name] as a slur, but I dont think I’ve ever heard someone say it in real life. I am also unfamiliar with the bible story, so, for me, it’s not such a big deal at all. I think the name has a beautiful sound and looks pretty. Plus it’s so very similar to [name]Isabel[/name]! I don’t know, i supposed if you know a lot of people who use [name]Jezebel[/name] as a description it’s not such a good idea… But seriously in my area I don’t think anyone would think twice about it.

What are you talking about? That’s not in the Bible.

Yeah – I am one of the most un-religious people out there, so I have no idea of biblical connections to this name and I still think of [name]Jezebel[/name] as a loose woman, one of questionable morals.

That being said, it takes a brave set of parents to opt for and agree upon a name which isn’t popular. Still, I think [name]Jezebel[/name] is pushing that concept a teeny bit farther than I would recommend! To each their own! Maybe she can go by [name]Belle[/name]?

I think it is absolutely awful and that the child will grow up and change her name.