Short list dilemmas....

I’m due to have my second child in about 7 weeks. I already have a daughter [name]Lola[/name]-[name]May[/name]. We are having a “surprise” so have sort lists for both boys and girls but are having real trouble deciding on a boy and girl name we are happy with… (we live in oz so popularity rankings on this website are a bit irrelevant and I have a “thing” about overused names!)

For the boys:

[name]Archer[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] - concerned about growing popularity of this one
[name]Roman[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] - same as above but love [name]Romeo[/name] as nn
[name]Roscoe[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] - roscoe is a nn for [name]Ross[/name] here they add an “o” to EVERYTHING!.. Ie [name]Tom[/name] = [name]Tom[/name]-o

([name]Stephen[/name] is a must for mn as its honoring my husbands late brother no died when they were kids)

Girls

[name]Finley[/name] [name]Ann[/name] ([name]Ann[/name] is mums middle name)
[name]Josie[/name] [name]Ann[/name] ([name]Josie[/name] was my beloved late nanas name)
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] ([name]Lucille[/name] is my mother in laws mn)
[name]Sasha[/name] is another short listed name

We keep chopping and changing favorites but I really want to narrow it down so I have at least a few weeks to get used to our choices before baby arrives!!!

Out of your boy names, I like [name]Archer[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] the best. Out of your girl list, none of them are really jumping out at me, though I do like [name]Josie[/name] [name]Ann[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]. I actually think [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] would be cute and a nice way to honor both your mother and mother-in-law and since your first daughter has a double-barrel first name, you could always go with [name]Lucy[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] up front and something else in the middle. Or go with [name]Josie[/name]-[name]Ann[/name] [name]Lucille[/name], which honors everyone.

Of the boy choices, my favorite is [name]Archer[/name] [name]Stephen[/name]. Though I agree that it could keep rising on the charts. [name]Roman[/name] isn’t a bad name, but I like it less with [name]Stephen[/name] because they both have the same ending sound. That’s not a Huge deal, but would make me choose [name]Archer[/name], between the two. Also [name]Romeo[/name] is a Cute nn, but may not be one that he wants when he gets older. Or, he may love it. It really depends on the person and you can never predict what someone else will like, years later. [name]Roscoe[/name] just seems to be a nn to me, because I know someone with that nn. So, that one isn’t my style, but sounds good.

Guess my order for boys would be:
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Roscoe[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]

For the girls, all of the names are lovely. Though, I’d be careful about using about using both [name]Josie[/name] and [name]Ann[/name]. The name is so sweet, but my question would be if your husband, his mother, or anyone else that is connected would feel disappointed knowing that both of her names were to honor members of your family, but none of his side? If not, then there’s no problem. And, I don’t think that anyone other than the two of you should play a part in choosing your child’s name, but you also don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings over something as special as your child’s name. My husband chose [name]Jane[/name] for our soon-to-be daughter’s mn, not realizing/remembering that it’s my mother’s mn. I knew my m-i-l would be upset if my mother was included and she wasn’t. Especially, as this is our last pregnancy and there’s no name saving for a possible “future” daughter. So, I insisted that we incorporate [name]Marie[/name], for her, in some fashion and eventually decided on putting them together for Janemarie.

My favorite of the girl’s names is [name]Josie[/name]. Possibly [name]Josie[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]? Or if one of his grandmother’s names works well with it also. Unless you’re planning on future children. In that case, you don’t want to use all of the honoring names that you really like with the first one. Then, feel like you’re stuck with settling on an honorific name that you don’t really Like in the future, so as to not ‘break the pattern’.

Great feedback! It hadn’t occcured to me that some combos honored one side and not the other, but I don’t think my [name]MIL[/name] would mind. Still valid consideration point! And need to tread carefully here

[name]Archer[/name] is also my favourite- I had also noticed that [name]Roman[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] doesnt have a good “ring” to it

I’m avoiding first names with L as my name is [name]Lana[/name] and lots of people think I chose [name]Lola[/name] [name]May[/name] due to the L “duggar style” much to my horror! It was totally an unconscious decision and not something we had intended at all!

This is definitely our last baby LOL two is enough!!!

[name]Finley[/name] is really our most preffered girls name - maybe I should just avoid using a family mn altogether to keep it fair, [name]Lola[/name] [name]May[/name] doesn’t use anything family related… Any good suggestions then for a suitable mn for [name]Finley[/name]? Pref something clearly feminine as it is a unisex name…

[name]Archer[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] and [name]Josie[/name] [name]Ann[/name]!

[name]Finley[/name] [name]Ann[/name] is a great girl’s name. And even though [name]Ann[/name] would be connected to your mother, it’s also popular enough to not be a honoring “focal point”. You could even change it a little to [name]Anne[/name].

I like a lot of the middle names for girls that others feel are “fillers” and try to avoid.

[name]Finley[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Bea[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Doe[/name] (a middle name that I hadn’t encountered until recently, but I’ve become enamored with for some reason)
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Claire[/name]

I understand about trying to avoid another “L” name, we unintentionally went down the path of naming all three of ours with a Hard-C name. I haven’t gotten too many comments yet (except here, when I asked about it…lol). But, I know it’s coming at some point after the twins arrive! It took a lot of mental anguish on my part and searching for other names. Finally, I decided that there were no “other” names for them and decided to take the plunge. We’ll see how I feel about it in a year or two. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like all of your boys names!

For girls, I like [name]Finley[/name] (I prefer it spelled [name]Finlay[/name] for a girl) and [name]Quinn[/name].
Have you considered [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Josie[/name]?

I like [name]Archer[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] and [name]Josie[/name] [name]Ann[/name].

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Luann[/name]/[name]Luanne[/name] or [name]Luciana[/name] as MNs? They would honor both your mom and [name]MIL[/name].

[name]Roscoe[/name] and [name]Sasha[/name]

Please don’t name your daughter [name]Finlay[/name], it’s just cruel. It has the meaning of ‘Fair Warrior’ which isn’t at all feminine. I find it so sad that so many Gaelic names are being used on girl’s in the US such as [name]Rory[/name], [name]Finlay[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Rowan[/name] etc. What next female [name]Conor[/name]'s and [name]Declan[/name]'s? Luckily I live in the UK and it isn’t a big thing here as those names are male only, despite knowing a female [name]Rowan[/name] and a female Finnleigh but they both get dodgy looks when people realise they are girls!

[name]Lola[/name] & [name]Roman[/name] would get my vote.

[name]Josie[/name] is too nicknamey for me but works OK with [name]Lola[/name].

I actually like [name]Lola[/name] & [name]Quinn[/name] together, and although I prefer to see [name]Quinn[/name] on a boy it isn’t too bad. Whereas, [name]Finley[/name] is obviously male and if I saw a sibset of [name]Lola[/name] & [name]Finley[/name] I’d always assume [name]Finley[/name] was a boy but with [name]Quinn[/name], I wouldn’t be sure.

[name]Sasha[/name] is nice with [name]Lola[/name] too.

Wow I REALLY appreciate all the comments! I think [name]Archer[/name] is definitely a forerunner for the boys… Lol maybe I should use it for a girl also lol!

I think [name]Lola[/name]-[name]May[/name] and [name]Archie[/name] will go nicely for a sibset!

[name]Will[/name] just have to narrow down from [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Josie[/name] now! I love them both for different reasons, the meaning of [name]Finley[/name] is beautiful “fair haired hero” I’m blonde and my husband has Nordic coloring, our daughter is Ice blonde too so not much chance of having Anything but another blondie! So it will fit perfectly…

Then [name]Josie[/name] has the strong familial link…

decisions decisions…

Thanks again to everyone who took time to share their advice and wisdom!