Should Eli's older brother be Hugo or Leon?

The protagonist of my novel is [name_m]Eli[/name_m] [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u], born 1999. [name_m]Eli[/name_m] was #282 on the SSA list at the time, and has never been below the top 1000. His older brother was born 1996, and I combed everything between #400 and #750 on that list to find a two-syllable name with four or fewer letters, something that could conceivably be born into the same family. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Leon[/name_m] are my shortlist.

I like the association with the science fiction awards for [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], not to mention the distinguished meaning. For [name_m]Leon[/name_m], the parents are the type of people who would like the Trotsky associations, and it’s a plus that the name itself sounds closer to [name_m]Eli[/name_m] – though at the same time, I worry it’s too close. They were #432 and #458 in 1996 respectively, and I like how both sound with [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u]. [name_m]Leon[/name_m] has never been below the top 1000, [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] was barely below it in 1940 and 1948.

I’m completely lost on middle names for any of the three, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Any advice?

Depending on what / how you’re writing, middles probably won’t come up. It’s nice to know, but not imperative.

I really like [name_m]Leon[/name_m]. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is a good name, but [name_m]Leon[/name_m] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m] makes a lot more sense to me.

Personally, I think it depends on the brother’s personality. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is much more of a strong name, while [name_m]Leon[/name_m] sounds kind of the sweet type of guy to me.
Although I do agree when you see [name_m]Leon[/name_m] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m] sound better together, I’d still go for [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps!

Yeah, it depends on what kind of character the older brother is. Is he kind of like an aggravating older brother like [name_m]Greg[/name_m]'s from Diary of a Wimpy Kid or is he nice, sweet, funny but knows when to get serious when needed?