Should I Change Baby’s Name?

My third daughter is 5 months old now… and I’m sadly having daily remorse for her beautiful name, [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f], because everyone thinks it’s [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] when I say it :’( in [name_u]California[/name_u] parents have up to 6 months to change their baby’s name without going through a lengthy process of appearing in court :frowning: So time is running out!

My older daughters are [name_f]Zoelle[/name_f] [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and Lullah [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. Our little one is [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] which I really love on paper, but in practical life I don’t want her annoyed by her name being mistaken for [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] all the time.

PLEASE HELP! Any thoughts or input on wether to change her name or name options would be much appreciated, thanks berries!

I can see where that could be a pain. I had to give up [name_f]Isla[/name_f] because nobody could pronounce i just couldnt deal with it.

Would you consider [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]?

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] was my thought as well. It has a lot of the same distinctiveness and appeal.

Is a day is amazing. And honestly just call her [name_u]BEAU[/name_u] and everybody will catch on eventually.

I like [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] if you change it. [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is also really beautiful. If you like [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] and really want to keep it, try the previous poster’s suggestion and call her [name_u]Beau[/name_u]. It is a very old royal name in [name_f]France[/name_f] and Germany. Otherwise just be politely firm and tell close friends and family to get it right. Strangers really do not matter. However some people are just plain lazy.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] is a great alternative but I think I’d keep [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]. Calling her [name_u]Beau[/name_u] as pp mentioned would probably help

Isabeau Violet is gorgeous, and it would be a real pity to change the name you do so love, just for a few that are mishearing it. Due to Isabeau being quite rare, and Isabel(le) extremely popular, I can understand how many might misinterpret the name upon hearing it said, as Isabel(le) may very well be the only name they have to relate to the sound.

Suggestion: Perhaps you could alter the way you reveal your little Isabeau’s name to people, such as “oh, it’s such a lovely, rare, Medieval French name I just adore…Isabeau”, or “her name is Isabeau, an Old French variant of the ever-popular Isabel” as that would give them plenty of reason not to automatically assume Isabel(le), as well as giving them a nice succinct context and explanation as to where the rare little Isabeau comes from.

My thoughts exactly.

I would not change it if you are only doing so because people are mishearing you… keep in mind that she is only 5 months right now and meeting new people very regularly. She’s not going to spend her whole life meeting new people every single day. She will eventually be spending most her time with people who already know her and her name. It won’t be as much of a headache as you are imagining your mind right now.

Well said @sunniva and @llbaby22 and my thoughts as well. You adore [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f], it is lovely, and I would stick with it as generally people want to use her name correctly, but in this case, just aren’t familiar with it, yet. Once it is nicely explained, they will do their best to say it correctly.

That’s annoying - sorry you have to deal with that. I much prefer [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] to [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], but if it’s driving you crazy I would change it. OR consider choosing a nickname that you like for her, and use the nickname for introductions with people you won’t have a lasting relationship with. You could do this for people you encounter randomly when you’re out and about, like other moms at the playground or little old ladies at the grocery store. That could reduce the need for clarifications substantially. If she’s [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_u]Isa[/name_u] (which I really like - pronounced “eesa”) upon introduction, you can leave behind the [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] confusion without changing her name.

I love [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] but I would agree that [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] might be better for that purpose.
I love both names!

Aww [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is beautiful. It’s up to you but I really hope you stick with it. Your other girls have sweet names too. I agree with the other posters that calling her [name_u]Beau[/name_u] should help. Personally I would look at it this way, there are lots of unfamiliar names being used nowadays (especially as we become more multicultural) and it is becoming part of life to not know/know how to pronounce a name at first glance. Yes you may have to explain it, but soon after others should begin associating her with the name. When a person repeatedly cannot remember or correctly pronounce a name, you are typically not the only one they are doing it to.

How does [name_f]Zoelle[/name_f] do with her name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you frequently get [name_f]Zoey[/name_f]?

Best of luck to you!

Warmest congratulations, @amandachew!

[name_f]May[/name_f] I suggest:

zoeLLe, luLLah {and} mabeLL

{a sibling set comprised of spunky, six-letter, two-syllable vintage names with double l’s}

I like [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f], but can see the merit of changing to [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], which is equally lovely but perhaps a little more distinct sounding from [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].

E x

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is so beautiful!!! If that were my name, I wouldn’t mind correcting people. My name is [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and I have to correct people who call me [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] quite frequently! But I love my name and I would rather be [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] then [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] so I don’t mind.

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is an unbelievably beautiful name and there is no way I would be changing it. People who care will learn. I would be annoyed by the mistakes too, and I get where you’re coming from, but it would be such a pity to change for this reason. As others have said, she will eventually be around people who know her and not be meeting new people all the time. I have a very ordinary name and I have to correct people all the time. I agree with the pp suggestion of introducing her name with a little explanation. I don’t think other names like [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] quite compare - though I do understand if you decide to change it.

I love [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] so I wouldn’t change it, but that’s up to you! I will note I think that [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] may have the same problem, though–people are going to hear “[name_u]Isa[/name_u]” and think “[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f].” I like the suggestions of the nickname [name_u]Beau[/name_u], reminds me of a little girl wearing a big bow in her hair!

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is a lovely name, but I do get where you’re coming from. Is it constantly pronounced incorrectly? If so, I think you should change it because it may become a hassle when she gets older and has to constantly correct people. If it’s only mispronounced by people you don’t know, then I think it’s okay, as people she becomes close to will get used to her name.

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is incredible!

I do think she’ll have people assuming [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] for her whole life, however. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is just so popular right now, and [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is virtually unknown outside of namenerd circles.

I guess it comes down to deciding how much this bothers you vs. how in love/attached you are to the name [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]. Which is a bigger deal to you? And would you happy for her to be called something distinct from [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], like [name_u]Beau[/name_u]/[name_u]Bo[/name_u] as pps have suggested?

Regularly introducing her as a distinctive nickname is the only way I can see to guarantee that the [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] confusion won’t ever happen, but if that’s not something you’re happy with then you need to either accept the confusion, or change the name. Which do you feel happier with?

Personally, I’d be sticking with it. [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] is a rare gem! I’m curious: did you only discover it after using [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] for your second daughter’s middle?