Should I use my second favorite boys name as a middle name?

My two favorite boys names are [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name]. [name]Edward[/name] has the slight momentary edge, because I love the nn [name]Teddy[/name]. But [name]Joe[/name] is the name I always go back to… it’s the name I’ve loved the longest.

Anyway, my favorite combo for [name]Edward[/name] is [name]Edward[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. (Runners up on the mn front for [name]Edward[/name] include [name]Edward[/name] [name]John[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] [name]Thomas[/name].)

If I use [name]Joseph[/name] in the middle, it wouldn’t definitely exclude it from future use as a first name, but it’s a big mark against. I would really regret it if I never had the chance to use [name]Joseph[/name] in any spot.

As a sidenote, this is a one-way problem… I have a totally different mn picked out for [name]Joseph[/name], so no [name]Edward[/name] dilemma there.

Usually, the names you loved the longest are the ones you love the most and the ones you always will.

If you love [name]Joseph[/name] that much, then don’t put it in the middle name slot. I think [name]Edward[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] is particularly handsome, but so are your other middle name choices, especially [name]Edward[/name] [name]Thomas[/name].

Keep your options open and don’t lose [name]Joseph[/name].

And I can totally see [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Joe[/name], as brothers.

Take care!

~[name]Abby[/name]

Agreed. Please save [name]Joseph[/name]. My daughter is [name]Niamh[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] but since I have had another daughter I have sometimes regretted I don’t have [name]Niamh[/name] AND [name]Lucy[/name], and so has my husband (although we still love our 2nd daughter’s name).

That’s what’s so tough… the risk of regret flows both ways. Either I have an [name]Edward[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] and then never get to use [name]Joseph[/name] as a fn, or I have an [name]Edward[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]/[name]John[/name], and never have [name]Joseph[/name] in there at all. Quite the gamble…