Should she name her child this?

Hey guys, [name_f]Lynda[/name_f] here.

Had a call from a friend (who is 2 months pregnant) that wants to name her child the following:

Boys
[name_u]Eren[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaias[/name_m]
[name_m]Goku[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Omar[/name_m]
[name_u]Natsu[/name_u]
[name_m]Gaston[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_u]Kyle[/name_u]
Ichigo
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Naruto[/name_m]
[name_m]Gonzalo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m]
Kirito
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]

Girls
Usagi
[name_f]Dolores[/name_f]
[name_u]Lisa[/name_u]
[name_f]Jimena[/name_f]
Mikasa
[name_f]Sandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Suzi[/name_f]
Jova
[name_f]Sakura[/name_f]
[name_f]Selma[/name_f]
Yukako
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_f]Hinata[/name_f]
Alphonsia
[name_f]Lidia[/name_f]
Asuna

She’s asked me to be honest about the names, but I’d like to gather different opinions on them.
What are your thoughts?

My favorites are [name_u]Eren[/name_u], [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], or [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] for boys, and [name_f]Jimena[/name_f], [name_f]Suzi[/name_f], and [name_f]Lidia[/name_f] for girls!

I notice a lot of Japanese names on her lists- if the baby will have Japanese heritage, I think those would be lovely choices! If there’s no connection to Japan, I personally think it might seem a bit odd to give the baby a Japanese name.

4 Likes

Isaias, [name_m]Omar[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] are my favorites for the boys. [name_f]Selma[/name_f] and Asuna are my favorites for the boys. I would gently advise against [name_m]Goku[/name_m] and [name_m]Naruto[/name_m].

3 Likes

A lot of these names are anime character names and I suggest against it given how those aren’t just character names but actual Japanese names used by people! Please tell her to use something else if the mere reason for choosing those names is connection to the anime (especially since their not Japanese and if their only appreciation for the culture is based off anime)

Other than that the other names are beautiful for a child I recommend one of those!

If she really wants to name a child after a character than there’s multiple anime characters with non-japanese names and world wide names example: [name_u]Eren[/name_u] which she has on her list!

4 Likes

Thanks!
The couple are Hispanic.

Thank you! Why don’t you like [name_m]Goku[/name_m] or [name_m]Naruto[/name_m]?

Okay!
The couple is Hispanic and the reasoning behind the Japanese-sounding names is because the husband is a self-proclaimed “otaku”.
This will be their first child.

It’s very heavily associated with the anime characters of the same name. If your friend is extremely bold, and Dragon Ball Z and Naruto have personal meaning to her, I would suggest them as middle names. Of all the Japanese names on her list, I would say [name_f]Sakura[/name_f] is my favorite. Less tied to one particular anime character and very pretty!

3 Likes

Otaku often culture appropriate and disrespect japanese culture, I’m an anime fan but I still respect Japanese culture, I highly suggest not using Japanese names as their not Japanese and only know the culture through anime !! I feel we shouldn’t disregard that no matter how much a super fan!! I hope they make the right decision, best of look to them

4 Likes

Ah, it was the husband that had a liking to anime. But I’ll ask them if they’ve ever considered a tamer alternative!

1 Like

No problem! I could ask them about tamer alternatives. What about the non-Japanese names?

Perhaps a Jojo’s Bizarre [name_u]Adventure[/name_u] name? Like [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], Dio, or Giorno. Still anime, but more likely to work in a Hispanic family.

2 Likes

Non Japanese names aside their beautiful! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite from both list are:

BOYS

• Isaias
  • Joseph
  • Eren (It’a an anime name but non Japanese I suggest this for them)
  • Omar (my favorite of the bunch)

GIRLS

• Selma
  • Suzi (prefer [name_f]Susie[/name_f])
  • Jova (I suggest [name_u]Nova[/name_u] as a better alternative)
  • Lidia
1 Like

They’ve even listed some JoJo names!

I could recommend them Jolyne.

2 Likes

Jolyne would be perfect for them if they want an anime tie in, I suggest looking for non-Japanese names on characters!!

1 Like

If I had to suggest one particular JoJo name, it would be [name_m]Enrico[/name_m]. Definitely feels like it fits with some of their other boy names

2 Likes

Why is [name_m]Omar[/name_m] your favorite?

I’ll ask them to have a look at other JoJo names!
It’s still a nod to anime, but not as obnoxious.

1 Like

Ah yes, Pucci.

It simple and pairs well with a middle name, for them I suggest a simple short name and a more bizarre anime middle name since their name type seems to be more bolder than most parents! I’m bias on [name_m]Omar[/name_m] too since it’s on my list as an honor

1 Like