Sib for Adelaide? Eamon or Caedmon? Danae or Kaiya? Opinions

I think, partially as a result of everyone’s input, we’re leaning towards [name]Eamon[/name] (I think one ‘n’ would cause fewer spelling issues) [name]Josiah[/name].

Someone mentioned that [name]Caedmon[/name] is traditionally pronounced “CAD-mon”. I was aware of this and we don’t like this pronunciation, however a few others have said that they know people named [name]Caedmon[/name] who pronounce it “[name]CADE[/name]-mon” and there is also a [name]Christian[/name] band named “[name]Caedmon[/name]'s Call” that pronounces it this way too. [name]Do[/name] you think
“[name]CADE[/name]-mon” is a legitimate pronunciation even though it isn’t the original Medieval way of pronouncing it?

As far as the girl’s name, I think we’re still undecided, though the suggestion of AILA has put that name sound back in the running. [name]KAIA[/name] (which is actually the spelling I like the best) or [name]DANAE[/name] are still names we’re considering.

I thought [name]Eamon[/name] was pronounced EE-mon. I’m glad that it’s actually AY-mon. I like that even better! In fact I really like it!

I think [name]Eamon[/name] [name]Josiah[/name] is a great choice.

As for [name]Caedmon[/name] ([name]CADE[/name]-mon), well it depends on what you classify as legit. It certainly isn’t the traditional pronunciation, but it does at least have a modern precedent.

I think Aila, [name]Kaia[/name] (this spelling – I’m glad you like this one too) and [name]Danae[/name] are all great choices. I think Aila will be fine for pronunciation as ‘ai’ often makes an ‘EYE’ sound (like [name]Maia[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Sarai[/name]). You may get a few ‘AY-la’ slips but it’s easily corrected.

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name],

I had to reply as I love the name [name]Adelaide[/name] (one of my favourites)!
I’ll just add my thought to your list:

BOYS: [name]EAMON[/name] [name]JOSIAH[/name] - okay, flows well

[name]CAEDMON[/name] [name]JOSIAH[/name] - don’t really like this

Other BOYS names on our list:
[name]JUDE[/name]- like a lot
[name]FINN[/name]- nice
[name]JUSTUS[/name]- don’t like this one
[name]JONAH[/name]- like a lot, perhaps a little weak beside [name]Adelaide[/name]

GIRLS: [name]DANAE[/name] [name]MEGAN[/name] or [name]DANAE[/name] [name]MICHELINE[/name] - [name]Danae[/name] is okay but don’t like [name]Megan[/name] or [name]Micheline[/name] much

[name]KAIYA[/name] / [name]KAIA[/name] / [name]KAIJA[/name] [name]MEGAN[/name] [name]RENEE[/name] ditto other ps although I love you reasons for choosing it!

Other GIRLS names we’ve considered:

[name]ISLA[/name] - fine but nowhere near as fabulous as [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]ASHA[/name]- not too keen
[name]AURORA[/name] - pretty, perhaps a bit Disney princess though
[name]AMAYA[/name]- okay
[name]EMMELINE[/name] - really like this and goes well with [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]- lovely but quite ‘girly’ compared to [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Honour[/name]- okay
Veriy (love it, but hubby hates it!)- lovely but not going to work if hubbie dislikes.
[name]Cordelia[/name] - lovely and fabulous with [name]Adelaide[/name]
Madeliene - I dislike this name but not for any good reason really. However, it does sound too similar to [name]Adelaide[/name].
[name]Elisha[/name] - don’t like this

From your list, I would go with [name]Jude[/name] and either [name]Cordelia[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name].
Other names which I think ‘go well’ with [name]Adelaide[/name] which you might like:
[name]Penelope[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Lilian[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Eugenie[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Matilda[/name]…
[name]Henry[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]George[/name], [name]Edward[/name] (I think these royal type, classics go well but perhaps they are not your taste)

Good luck :slight_smile:

I like [name]Jonah[/name] for a boy, and also have you thought of [name]Canaan[/name]?

[name]Verity[/name] or [name]Honour[/name] would be my choices for a girl. They are both beautiful and have great meanings to them!

This name reminds me of [name]Ailsa[/name] which is a really nice name.

I presume that it is said Ay Lah as is [name]Ailsa[/name] plus the ‘s’?

[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Lindsay[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] (know you don’t want [name]Margaret[/name] but it fits nicely)
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Gretel[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Janis[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Greer[/name]

PS Between [name]Danae[/name] and [name]Kaia[/name] I like [name]Kaia[/name] better (especially because your daughter is [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]) so if it were me I would like to put it in the mn position because it has a different style to [name]Adelaide[/name].

[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Kaia[/name] I like the alliteration on this combo
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Kaia[/name]
Aila [name]Kaia[/name] (doesn’t flow)

So, I just wanted to update everyone who contributed to this post.

I gave birth to our second beautiful girl at home, assisted by an amazing team of midwives with my husband and two close friends by my side. Our daughter was born in record time – only 1hr 15mins of active labour and only 7mins of pushing! She is healthy and we are all doing well.

She has a roundish head and a fairly full head of light brown / dark blonde hair. We had not finalized our name choice when she came out, but after we looked at her we knew she was definitely NOT a [name]Kaiya[/name] or a [name]Danae[/name]. That left us with Aila, which was a late addition to our list. We loved its meaning and sound and the fact that it is a Finnish name. So, we have named her Aila [name]Megan[/name] [name]Renee[/name].

Because her name was new to our list, it took a little while for us to feel sure about it. I think we are still a bit worried about pronunciation (EYE-la) and spelling difficulties. I wasn’t sure about choosing another “A” name, but my husband didn’t care about that.
It is definitely true that, at least for us, even if you aren’t 100% sure about a name, once you give your child a name and start calling him/her by that name, it starts to become part of that child and the child makes the name his/her own.

Thanks again for all your input and feedback.

CONGRATULATIONS I am so happy for you! She has a lovely name and I am sure that she will love it too.

I didn’t realise Aila was the same as [name]Isla[/name] until you wrote down the pronunciation.

There is an Australian actress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name] who has become very well known and I think that people liked her name and that is how [name]Isla[/name] crept onto the naming lists. (BTW I am an Aussie.)

(I will think of you when I take my overseas trip next year when I visit [name]Helsinki[/name] because of the Finnish connection you mentioned.)