Sib sets that all start with the same letter

Hey Berries!
Recently I’ve been perfecting my ultimate sib set (6 kids), and I just realize that three of the names start with F. I took a look at my name list and I have a ton of F names so I was thinking maybe I should just use all F names. But is that too matchy, especially with 6 kids? I don’t want it to seem like another Duggar family (not bashing them, I actually really like the Duggars).

So basically my question is, what are your thoughts on sib sets (that have a lot of kids) that all start with the same letter? Is it ok and a great way to connect them all or is it weird and too matchy?

Thanks!
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

PS: here’s my potential sib set all start with the same letter -
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”
[name_m]Fraser[/name_m] “[name_m]Frey[/name_m]”
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]/Findlay “[name_m]Fin[/name_m]” (g)
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] “[name_u]Fletch[/name_u]” (not sure about this one)
[name_u]Fox[/name_u] (b)
[name_f]Fern[/name_f].

Also side question- which do you prefer for a girl and which do you think would work better in the US: Finley or Findlay?

I think as long as they are each distinctly different from one another (different sounds, different syllable numbers etc) then it’s absolutely fine!

I prefer [name_u]Finley[/name_u] for a girl.

1 Like

For your side question, [name_u]Finley[/name_u] for sure.

I don’t think sibsets that all start with the same letter are bad, as long as the names sound different. I knew of a family with five kids names [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], and [name_u]Ember[/name_u]. Obviously, I think that’s awful but your names are so different from each other so it’s fine. [name_f]My[/name_f] top girl and boy names are [name_u]Saige[/name_u] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m], for example, and I would use them even though they start with the same letter.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I think it’s cute when it’s two kids, maybe three at most. But I agree it’s a little cheesy beyond that, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m personally not huge on matching initials, especially for larger families. I think that if the names that are your absolute favorites happen to share the same letter, then that’s not really the end of the world, as long as they sound like distinct names. I feel like purposefully planning it all out from the start as a theme isn’t a great idea though, because then you miss out on using your true favorites!
For your situation specifically, I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong with 3/6 of the names sharing one letter if they’re names you love. I also don’t believe you have to force yourself into all F names, but if you really like the idea of matching first initials, then absolutely go for it!

3 Likes

I quite like the idea with four children max; but with more it seems a bit repetitive. The [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] king has children whose names all begin with A and they do sound sweet together, and I remember the media would call them “the AAAs” when they were children.

1 Like

I agree with the others that it seems cheesy when it’s more than maybe 3 kids. Also, I think [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_u]Finn[/name_u] are too close.

1 Like

I used to detest sib sets that started with the same letter. That was until I realized all of my favorite boys names started with the same letter! That being said, I don’t think you should force anything. If 3 of your favorite names happen to start with the same letter, then so be it. But don’t give up your other favorite names just to have them match.

1 Like

I actually really like sib sets that all start with the same letters! Your sibset is great because all the names are so different.

Personally I really like names that start with E for boys in particular so I would love to use a few of them together.

I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] works better to use as a girls name but [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] is definitely more a boy name in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m not opposed to it, as long as the kids aren’t defined by their name, like the names should be distinct enough to know who’s who.

I prefer [name_u]Finley[/name_u] for a boy.

And I know a sibset of 5 kids who’s names are:
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u] (boy)
[name_u]Leighton[/name_u] (girl)
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f] & [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] (twin girls)
[name_u]Landon[/name_u] (boy)

And then the dad started to date a woman who had a son named [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] although he was significantly older.

1 Like

I don’t hate it, as long as the names aren’t too similar. Eg - they don’t rhyme.

1 Like

I choose [name_u]Finley[/name_u]!

I really like all the same letter. [name_f]My[/name_f] three siblings have the same initial, and I have a different one from them. When I was a kid, I really wanted my name to have the same initial too!! I think that choosing the name that you love most is the most important think, but if after 3 kids you have chosen the same initial, I think it’s great to continue the pattern so all kids are included.

Love your sibset, too!!

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s replies! I have to agree, I don’t want to force out my other favorite names just bc they don’t start with F, but I don’t want anyone to feel left out. It’s a catch 22. I guess I’ll just have to make two sib sets for now :slight_smile: thanks again!

I think sib sets that start with the same letter is super cute as long as it’s not like [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_f]Kylee[/name_f], ect. I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is better in [name_u]America[/name_u] since we’d say it completely wrong with the ‘d’.

1 Like

I think it’s totally fine! I know a few sets where it’s happened, lol.

If I were to do it, I’d probably go with M;

[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (b)
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]

Also, I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] would work best in the US :slight_smile:

1 Like