Sibling for Adelaide and Aila

Hello Nameberries,

It’s early days for me in pregnancy #3, but I’m already thinking about names (of course!).

We probably won’t be finding out the gender, so we’ll need to narrow it down to a girl’s name and a boy’s name. Since we still have lots of time, we haven’t really revisited our lists from the last pregnancy yet. I just thought I’d see what suggestions might come up here.

Our taste/naming style/criteria: We have varied taste in names (as you’ll see from the lists of names we’ve considered). We do tend to prefer names that are relatively uncommon, but not too unusual. We also take into consideration the meaning of names, as it is important to us to honour our children with names that have special meanings.

Our daughters names are [name]Adelaide[/name] and Aila (EYE-la).

Some names we have considered in the past for girls (some reflect my taste more than DH’s and some are not contenders anymore, but I’ve included them):

[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Kaija[/name]
[name]Danae[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]/[name]Clara[/name]
(I’m sure there’s more, I just can’t think of anymore right now.)

Names we’ve considered for boys (boys names are SO much harder for us!):

[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Caedmon[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]

I’m interested to hear what other names you might suggest to go with our daughters’ names.

Thank You,
bb2duesoon (guess I’ll need a new username!)

Oh, just thought I’d also mention that DH really likes the nicknames “[name]Ellie[/name]” and “[name]Emmy[/name]” (for girls of course), in addition, I also like the nicknames “[name]Lane[/name]”, “[name]Lainey[/name]”, “Lailie”, “Lailia”, but we don’t seem to love any of the obvious names that we can think of related to these nicknames. However, neither of our daughters have name-related nicknames, so this might be a moot point anyways.

I love [name]Cordelia[/name], but I’m wondering if you should stick with another ‘A’ name so she doesn’t feel left out? I really love [name]Aurora[/name] and [name]Aria[/name], although [name]Aria[/name] is too close to Aila in my opinion.
Here are some other ‘A’ names:
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Annika[/name] *
[name]Ambria[/name]
[name]Amira[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name] *
[name]Astrid[/name] *
[name]Azalea[/name] *

the starred are my favorites

I also have a tough time with boys! Here are some suggestions:
[name]Ezra[/name] *
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] *
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Ephraim[/name]

Some ‘A’ boy names:
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Abram[/name] (nn [name]Bram[/name]) *

[name]Love[/name] your girls’ names. First names that ame to mind when I read there names are [name]Asher[/name] for a boy, and [name]Alani[/name] for a girl.
I adore the names [name]Honor[/name] & [name]Lily[/name] Also [name]Summer[/name] would be adorable.

Or… [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Arissa[/name].
Or boys… [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Addison[/name] (again), [name]Riley[/name], [name]Easton[/name]… I do quite enjoy [name]Jonah[/name]!

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I love [name]Cordelia[/name], but I’m wondering if you should stick with another ‘A’ name so she doesn’t feel left out? I really love [name]Aurora[/name] and [name]Aria[/name], although [name]Aria[/name] is too close to Aila in my opinion.
Here are some other ‘A’ names:
[name]Arden[/name] – it’s all boy to me
[name]Amelia[/name] – it’s okay, but all I think of is [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Bedelia[/name]
[name]Annika[/name] * – I like it, don’t love it
[name]Ambria[/name] – ? doesn’t sound like a name to me, a bit too unusual
[name]Amira[/name] – pretty, but sounds too ethnically different from us
[name]Annabel[/name] – don’t love it, plus we call Aila, “Ailabelle” as a nn, so we can’t consider any “-bel” or “-belle” names
[name]Annora[/name] – sometimes I like it, sometimes it sounds kind of nasally to me
[name]Ariel[/name] * – sorry, but all I think of is The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid
[name]Astrid[/name] * – not something we’d consider
[name]Azalea[/name] * – pretty, but I don’t think it’s something we’d go with

the starred are my favorites

I also have a tough time with boys! Here are some suggestions:
[name]Ezra[/name] *
[name]Micah[/name] – I like it but we too strongly associate it with the son of a friend of ours
[name]Gabriel[/name] *
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] – I like it
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Ephraim[/name]

Some ‘A’ boy names:
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Abram[/name] (nn [name]Bram[/name]) *[/quote]

I agree that [name]Aria[/name] is probably much too close to Aila. We also dropped [name]Madeleine[/name] because we thought it was too close to [name]Adelaide[/name].

As for the “A” theme, we didn’t plan on having a theme. We LOVED [name]Adelaide[/name] and went with that for our first – it was an easy choice. We chose Aila because we originally liked [name]Isla[/name], but preferred the meaning and spelling of Aila. As well, the Finnish origin of Aila appealed to us because my husband has Finnish heritage.

Though there are plenty of “A” girls names we like and could probably choose another one, I’m hesitant to continue with the theme in case we have more children after this one. Plus, I’m not sure what I think of having 3, or possibly 4, children all starting with the same letter. Sometimes, I think it’s kind of too cutesy for my taste.

Thank you for your suggestions. Nothing is really grabbing me yet though.

Thanks for your reply.

I do like [name]Lily[/name], but I wonder if it’s too close to Aila.

I like [name]Honor[/name], but someone has pointed out before that its meaning is too close to the meaning of [name]Adelaide[/name] and because meanings are important to us, they suggested we might not want two names with similar meanings.

I don’t really like [name]Summer[/name]. I’ve never been fond of season or month names.

Sorry, but [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Alani[/name] aren’t names that we’d go with either. I’m also not a big fan of [name]Addison[/name] or [name]Riley[/name] for either a boy or girl. Something else I didn’t mention earlier is that we generally prefer names that are clearly feminine or masculine, we don’t like unisex names.

Anyone else have any suggestions for us?

Okay, A names? I think with [name]Adelaide[/name] and Aila you want to use another, or it seems from other people’s responses…

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Alana[/name]
[name]Alexis[/name] - [name]Ali[/name], [name]Lex[/name], [name]Lexi[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name] - [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mae[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] - [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mel[/name], [name]Emmy[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name] - [name]Anne[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Antoinette[/name] - [name]Annie[/name], [name]Toni[/name], [name]Ettie[/name]
[name]Antonie[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Arielle[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name] - [name]Ava[/name], [name]Ave[/name], [name]Lina[/name]
[name]Aviva[/name]

[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Alec[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Amory[/name]
[name]Andre[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name] - [name]Andy[/name], [name]Drew[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Archer[/name] - [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] - [name]Artie[/name], [name]Art[/name]
[name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]August[/name] - [name]Gus[/name], [name]Augie[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply [name]Lemon[/name]. I guess you missed it, but in one of my responses to a previous post, I mentioned that I’m not sure I do want to continue the theme. The “A” theme was never intended and, as this child might not be our last, I don’t think I want us to get stuck with the theme. Also, I’m not sure I like the idea of having 3, 4 or more names that start with the same letter. Seems a little too cutesy to me sometimes. We just want names that we love as much as the names we have already used.

Oh, okay - well, I still think there are some awesome A names out there that would work, but other names I like with [name]Adelaide[/name] and Aila are: [name]Briony[/name], [name]Camille[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Giselle[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Kira[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Mathilda[/name], [name]Noelle[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Rosaline[/name], [name]Simone[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], and [name]Violet[/name] for girls and [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Curtis[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Jonathan[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Matthias[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Nolan[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Peter[/name], [name]Roman[/name], [name]Russell[/name], [name]Simon[/name], and [name]Tristan[/name] for boys.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I don’t necessarily think you have to use a third A name. Maybe if you had 3 or 4 kids with A names already a sib with another initial would feel left out but with only 2 its not that much of a precedent. Maybe you could use the same last initial (a or e) to tie the next name to one of the prior ones.