Sibling for Benjamin

Please help narrow or add to my list of names. Expecting a baby girl in [name]November[/name] who will be a sibling to [name]Benjamin[/name] nn [name]Ben[/name]. Looking for a name that will go with [name]Ben[/name], would love a cute nn but am not as creative beyond the typical nn. Here’s what I have so far… not in love with any yet.

[name]Olivia[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name] this name but would not do b/c of its popularity :frowning: but similar style would be great.

[name]Juliet[/name]: Like the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection, worried that the ‘et’ ending is too harsh with my last name which ends in a hard “k” sound.

[name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name]: cute

[name]Silvia[/name] nn [name]Silvie[/name]: vs. spelling of [name]Sylvia[/name], worried it’s too “old lady” but again like the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection

[name]Audrey[/name]: becoming too popular?

[name]Ramona[/name]: cute and spunky but does it “go” with [name]Benjamin[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name]: cute name, again worried if too harsh with last name

[name]Freja[/name]: a nod to my DH Scandinavian heritage, is it pretty?

[name]Isadora[/name]: like [name]Izzy[/name] as a nn but think she would just become one of the Isobels…

[name]Amelia[/name]: cute, husband likes to fly and I like the aviation connection

[name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Josie[/name]: cant get DH on board

[name]Nora[/name]: wondering if I should use this is a nn for something longer

[name]Adele[/name]: ?

[name]Gretchen[/name] or [name]Greta[/name]: ?

Thanks for any input!

[name]Olivia[/name]: I really like [name]Olivia[/name], but like you said, it’s too popular. What about [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Livia[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], or [name]Vivienne[/name]?

[name]Juliet[/name]: I love [name]Juliet[/name]! I think it would sound fine with a K ending last name, but I guess it depends.

[name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name]: I first thought of [name]Katherine[/name] as a sister for [name]Benjamin[/name]. It’s a little too common for me, and it shares a lot of sounds with [name]Benjamin[/name]…

[name]Silvia[/name] nn [name]Silvie[/name]: I love [name]Silvia[/name]/[name]Sylvia[/name]!! I don’t think it’s too ‘old lady’ at all-- I actually know a few little Sylvias. The more common spelling [name]Sylvia[/name] would probably be easier to deal with, but [name]Silvia[/name] is lovely and streamlined.

[name]Audrey[/name]: Not my favorite, but there’s nothing really wrong with it.

[name]Ramona[/name]: I think [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] go fine together.

[name]Charlotte[/name]: [name]Charlotte[/name] is lovely! I wouldn’t worry about the surname issue; it’s not like it rhymes or anything.

[name]Freja[/name]: It’ll get a lot of pronunciation issues… [name]Freya[/name], I believe, is pretty common in [name]England[/name].

[name]Isadora[/name]: It’s much more distinctive than [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name], and I think it’s wonderful with [name]Benjamin[/name]!

[name]Amelia[/name]: I really like [name]Amelia[/name]. It sounds very nice with [name]Benjamin[/name]; the only downside is its popularity.

[name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Josie[/name]: I like [name]Josephine[/name], but I’m not sure about the N ending with [name]Benjamin[/name].

[name]Nora[/name]: Especially with big brother [name]Benjamin[/name], I would use it as nickname. [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Eleanora[/name], [name]Lenora[/name], [name]Annora[/name], and [name]Honora[/name] would all work, I think.

[name]Adele[/name]: I’m really loving [name]Adele[/name] as of lately! [name]Adela[/name] is also gorgeous.

[name]Gretchen[/name] or [name]Greta[/name]: [name]Gretchen[/name] is very harsh sounding, and will likely get teasing… I really like [name]Greta[/name], though. What about [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Greta[/name]?

You might like:

[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]

If you love the Shakespearean connection, what about [name]Desdemona[/name]??? I LOVED that name when I came across it, but of course hubby shot it down. :frowning: I wish more people would consider this name, it is beautiful!

nn could be [name]Desi[/name] or [name]Mona[/name]. [name]Desi[/name] is really cute!

Thanks for the input Irisrose. I think I agree with you about [name]Gretchen[/name], it is a little harsh. From your list I like [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name].

Not so sure about [name]Desdemona[/name]. Cute, but a mouthful.

What about cute and not so obvious nicknames. For example, today I was thinking about [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] and thought perhaps ‘[name]Juno[/name]’ might work as a cute nickname. Yes?

[name]Audrey[/name] is my favorite to go w/ big brother [name]Ben[/name]!! :slight_smile: I think it is the best sounding combination

So I was reading through the baby name advice here on NB:

1. REJECTING A NAME YOU [name]LOVE[/name] BECAUSE IT”S TOO HIGH ON THE NATIONAL POPULARITY LIST. Many parents today are obsessed with tracking names on the Social Security most popular list, discarding those they fear are getting overexposed. But truly loving a name is a more important factor in being content with your choice than its standing on any list.

With that said if you [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Olivia[/name], pair it with a punchy double name (I know several people, even out of the Southern U.S. who have “double names” and we call them by their double name! I have friends named [name]Anne[/name] [name]Marie[/name], [name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sara[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] and they are called by both names!):

[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Rae[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Blu[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Lake[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Scout[/name]

And as an adorable nickname [name]Via[/name]!

I also think [name]Ben[/name] and [name]Via[/name] sounds great together, both three letter nicknames!

I think [name]Amelia[/name] would fit just right

Great point about [name]Olivia[/name]!

My favorites out of your ideas:

[name]Ben[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] is pretty close to perfect I think. :slight_smile:

[name]Audrey[/name] is cute and classy, like [name]Ben[/name].

I love [name]Ramona[/name] with [name]Benjamin[/name]! [name]Romy[/name] and [name]Ben[/name]? Super cute.

[name]Amelia[/name] is definitely cute with [name]Benjamin[/name]. She could be [name]Millie[/name], [name]Amy[/name], [name]Mia[/name]…

Good luck!