Sibling for Desmond Jack

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], everyone!

DH and I are expecting baby #2 this summer, and we don’t know the gender yet. We have a 2-year-old son named [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. Any suggestions you can offer up for [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]'s little brother or sister would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to give you an idea of my naming style, [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is at the top of my list for girls right now, but I’m having a hard time getting DH to buy in. I also like [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. If we have another boy, there’s a good chance we’ll go with [name_m]Charles[/name_m] ("[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]") to honor a family member. I’m not sure how I feel about the [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]/[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] LOST association, though… :wink:

Thanks for your help!

Swooning over [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] [name_m]Jack[/name_m]! What great taste you have :smiley:

So [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] do sound excellent together since their origins are very similar ([name_m]Desmond[/name_m] is Irish; [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is Scottish). (I’m secretly rooting for [name_f]Fiona[/name_f])

Here are some ideas:
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m] (This name just has a nice ring to it)
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] (also Irish)
[name_m]Callum[/name_m] (means peace)
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] ([name_m]Miles[/name_m] and [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] sound dashing; it has the same feel as [name_m]Charles[/name_m])
[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m] (adorable name meaning “little, fierce”)

Girls:
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]

Thanks so much, roseofjune! We did just find out last night that we’re having a girl :slight_smile: So I am REALLY pushing hard for [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] now! I also really like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] from your list - we’ll see what DH has to say. Thanks again for your help!!

I love [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], hope you can convince him!

Other possibilities…
[name_f]Ailsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

I really like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] or [name_f]Violet[/name_f] with [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]-- all vintage classics. While I like most of the names, I think you need one that can kind of stand up to [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]-- [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] don’t seem substantial enough to me. From the remaining, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] seem to fit best. I really like the suggestion of [name_f]Willa[/name_f] for you though-- it’s a great vintage classic name!

Some other possibilities:

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Avis[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Gloria[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]/[name_f]Roxana[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

Thanks for the suggestions, all! There are some great options here. Now to win DH over. :wink:

I agree with everyone that [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] sound great together! More suggestions: [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f] (combo of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]), [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f].

Boy names, I think [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is really cute with [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] as well. Or [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]? [name_m]Winston[/name_m]? Good luck! Let us know what you pick :slight_smile:

I just love the name [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]! As a LOST fan, I definitely hear the connection when you say [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], but if it’s a family name, I wouldn’t let that stop you. It’s not a bad connection.

Other ideas:
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] (if you don’t mind repeating the first initial, I love this.)
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]

Also, [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] are both lovely, but here are some other ideas anyway.

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (same as above, I don’t know if sharing a first initial bothers you, but [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] make me think of [name_f]Daphne[/name_f])
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]

So I know how old this is but I just had to comment anyway! I have a son named [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]. I waivered between calling him [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] [name_m]Jack[/name_m] (thought it sounded really cool! Like an intrepid world explorer.) and [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] (this is where I landed). And if he had been a girl I wanted to call him [name_f]Violet[/name_f]! So I just waited to let you know I think you have excellent taste!

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] are all lovely! Unfortunately, I did go straight to LOST with [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], but they’re a perfect pair!

I like the idea of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] a lot, probably because it “feels” a lot like the first girls’ name that came to mind–[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]! I used to listen to a radio program that was co-hosted by a woman who had a [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], so it was just my first thought. A few other ideas:

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo/name_u
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Elisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] (although this might be a bit LOST-esque, too! I refrained from suggesting [name_m]Linus[/name_m], I swear. :wink: )
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f]

Good luck!