Sibling name dilemma for a boy Sage - Nature/Spiritual, somewhat unisex?

I would love some input, opinions and suggestions for sibling names (boy AND girl) for our son [name_u]Sage[/name_u].

We love his name and feel it fits him very well. However, since naming him, I’ve been surprised to see how many people think of [name_u]Sage[/name_u] as a girl’s name only. We do love a lot of unisex names, previously I would have described our style as unisex & word names (& subtle nature/spiritual theme). Our plan back then was to name a sibling [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], no matter if boy or girl. However, now I feel that [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] is totally out because it’s become way more popular for girls… in a similar vein as [name_u]Sage[/name_u], actually.

So I’m unsure of which path to take for naming our next child. We still love the same kinds of names. I would like it to be a little more clear which gender the kid has, but at the same time I don’t want my firstborn to have the “girl’s name” while the second one has a very clearly gendered name.

Right now, for example, I am loving [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] for a girl. It works with [name_u]Sage[/name_u] I think, they both have a subtle spiritual theme and [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] is more girlish than [name_u]Sage[/name_u], so [name_u]Sage[/name_u] becomes a bit more male-sounding, I feel. I also like [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophia[/name_f], although might be a bit too popular at this point…

For a boy, I’m still in love with [name_u]Elias[/name_u] and it’s a family name. It didn’t feel quite right for our first one when I was pregnant, so I could see us using it for the next one if it’s a boy. However, do [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] sound like girl and boy?
I also still like names like [name_u]Zen[/name_u], [name_f]Lux[/name_f] and the like, but after having gone somewhat minimalistic with the first one’s name, might like something less out-there for the second one… Or at least use [name_u]Elias[/name_u] as the mn.

I feel like for another boy, I want a name that’s similarly unisex as [name_u]Sage[/name_u], but not as girlish-leaning like [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]… because I don’t want my boys to be “the boys with the girl names.”

Hoping for lots of input!!! Thank you :slight_smile:

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] is great! But I do see your problems with naming a potential sibling.

I would assume siblings [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] are girl and boy, sorry! What about some of the following for [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and a brother…

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_f]Cypress[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_m]Lowell[/name_m]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Lyle[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Lane[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Tate[/name_u]

Good luck!

@flowermae [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] is awesome! Sadly it’s out for us as we have a water in our last name- so no to [name_m]Brooks[/name_m], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Lake[/name_u] Etc :frowning:

I like [name_u]Tate[/name_u] too, but [name_f]Sharon[/name_f] [name_u]Tate[/name_u] is a strong association that I can’t get over.

The others have lovely sounds and work well with [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. I’d love a name like that with a great meaning- we love slightly spiritual or ethereal names, not overtly religious though.

I also like [name_m]Wells[/name_m] for a boy, I feel like it works even though it’s also water-related… But I’m not too crazy about the sound.

I love flowermae’s suggestions (literally all of them). I also love [name_u]Sage[/name_u] for a boy. I know it’s skewed toward girls but I think it’s a lovely name either way.

It was surprisingly hard to not suggest water-related names ([name_u]Wade[/name_u], [name_u]Harbor[/name_u], and [name_u]Lake[/name_u] definitely came to mind). I also rather liked the sound of [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Cary[/name_u] for brothers (the ‘[name_u]Cary[/name_u]’ spelling has a nature meaning too) but although I think [name_u]Cary[/name_u] is better suited for a boy’s name, I know that it probably won’t help you wanting to avoid having the “boys with girls’ names” issue. Here are my suggestions for boys:

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_m]Calloway[/name_m] (pebbly place)
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Linden[/name_u] (tree name)
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Corin[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_m]Davis[/name_m]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_m]Oren[/name_m] (laurel/pine tree)

I like [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] for a girl. I tried to find some feminine, flowery names along the same vein for girls:

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_f]Kerensa[/name_f]

Thank you @joelleail, from your list I feel like [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Linden[/name_u] work really well together.

Anyone got any ideas on subtly spiritual names? We love about [name_u]Sage[/name_u] that it means “wise” as well as the herb.

A little more info about my taste in girl names, [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] is actually as girly as it gets for me, perhaps an outlier. I have considered these other names for a girl:
[name_m]Arrow[/name_m] - Now I’m a little tired of pure word names, and would like an older name. Underused ancient names with a subtle spiritual meaning (like, meaning “light” or “fire” or “sun”) are now my preference.
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]/Serai - might become nn for [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] if we go with that.
[name_u]Vale[/name_u]
Sunna - Nordic goddess of the [name_f]Sun[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f] - meaning “[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]”

I do love [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] though (not keen on girl names ending on -a usually, so [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] rather than [name_f]Isadora[/name_f].) I feel like the hard ending and the o instead of a makes it a little less girly.

What about [name_u]Luca[/name_u] or for a boy or a girl?

Boys:
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_m]Miller[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]

Girls:
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
Maitreya

Ok…how about these for potential brother names…

[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]
[name_u]Justice[/name_u]
[name_u]True[/name_u] or [name_m]Truett[/name_m] nn [name_u]True[/name_u]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_u]Sky[/name_u] (I knew a guy named [name_u]Skye[/name_u])
[name_u]Rylan[/name_u]

These are so random and all over the place! Hopefully some help? :slight_smile:

A few more…

[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_u]Leland[/name_u] (I know of a girl named [name_u]Leland[/name_u])
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]

I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is a perfect boys name. And I disagree that [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] is too girly. I think it goes really well and is a great name for a boy.

[name_u]Ash[/name_u]/[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_m]Forest[/name_m]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]

[name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Linnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]

[name_u]Everett[/name_u]/[name_u]Everly[/name_u] - think these would win out for me with [name_u]Sage[/name_u].

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] & [name_u]Everett[/name_u] or [name_u]Sage[/name_u] & [name_u]Everly[/name_u] sound gorgeous together .

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] works for a girl or boy and I think goes nicely with [name_u]Sage[/name_u] as well!

[name_u]Luca[/name_u] is on the list, although it’s pretty common now. I do like boy names ending in -a, though…

DH loves [name_m]Eli[/name_m] - potentially a nn if we go with [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. Not sure [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u] are a good combination, but I’m def keeping it on the list, although prob more for the mn.

I like [name_m]Leo[/name_m] too – [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] is an outlier on my boy’s list! Blame [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] [name_m]Cohen[/name_m]. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the girls’ suggestions, I love [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] and I still really like [name_f]Ava[/name_f], although the latter is too popular now for my taste.

You actually got a bunch that we’ve had on our list for our first!

Believe it or not, [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] is trending and somehow quite common in our area. I also really love Kensho, which is kind of the Japanese equivalent, but wouldn’t use it BC we don’t have any ties to Japanese culture or heritage.

I love [name_u]Justice[/name_u], DH doesn’t.

[name_u]True[/name_u] was a top contender. DH wanted it as a nn for [name_m]Truman[/name_m], which I didn’t like at all.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] and [name_u]Sky[/name_u]/e!

Thank you for weighing in on [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] for boys. I’m realizing that I do tend to like even some actual girl names for boys, eg knew a [name_u]Dana[/name_u] once and was only familiar w the name for girls before that. Loved it on a guy though.
However, I do want to stay a little tiny bit more on the “clearly boys side”, now. That has changed since baby #1.

I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] are perfect together. They’re both unisex and nature-themed. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is quite common though and I’m not sure if it has the spiritual, ethereal thing I’m looking for… But it helps to imagine the two names together!

[name_m]Forest[/name_m] was on our list, and [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] for girls, which your suggestion of [name_f]Linnet[/name_f] reminded me of.

For some reason, nameberry is crashing my browser, so I apologize for my slow replies.

After reviewing the suggestions so far, it seems that for this child, I’m liking ancient names that sound a bit ethereal, if they have a spiritual meaning great, nature is secondary…

[name_m]Aeneas[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]

are some examples. It didn’t feel right for our first, minimal and modern felt right then, and for the next one, the ancient ones sound right.

I love boy names that end in -as.

Any thoughts on [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and a name like [name_m]Aeneas[/name_m] as sibling names?

Hmm… Spiritual type names to go with brother sage… Have you considered

[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Rune[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m] /[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
Thales
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] ‘toby’

And maybe since you’re feeling ancient names…
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] ‘auggie or [name_u]Gus[/name_u]?’
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]
[name_m]Crispin[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]

Personally I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] (dove) work well… Good luck!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you liked some of the suggestions. :slight_smile:

I also like the names of [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Everly[/name_u] together.

I just thought of some more ideas

Sorry if these have already been suggested.
[name_u]River[/name_u], or [name_f]Remember[/name_f] for either gender.
Riverly for a girl.

Girls:
Hennessy
[name_m]Bentlee[/name_m]
Charlier
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_f]Acadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_m]Cannon[/name_m]
[name_m]Fox[/name_m]
[name_u]Canyon[/name_u]
Clayne

Ok, I’m having way too much fun with this challenge of finding a boy name for you! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] (someone previously suggested [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and it made me also think of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m])
[name_m]Acacius[/name_m]
[name_m]Aldous[/name_m]
[name_m]Amias[/name_m]
[name_m]Justus[/name_m] (but I’m guessing if your DH doesn’t like [name_u]Justice[/name_u] this is out too)

Boys
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_u]Oak[/name_u]
Alder
[name_f]Cypress[/name_f]

Girls
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

Either
[name_m]Pheonix[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_m]Rune[/name_m] is on my girls’ list. :slight_smile:

I really like [name_m]Jona[/name_m]/s/h and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]. Maybe a bit too biblical though. [name_u]Elias[/name_u] is, too… But it’s a family name, so I’m ok with it.

I keep hearing [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], it seems to be growing on me (after initial dislike BC it reminds me of [name_m]Gustav[/name_m] which i don’t like.)

[name_m]Julius[/name_m] I like; for some reason it reminds me of [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], which is also on my list (to honor my ancestors from the Adriatic Sea.)

[name_u]River[/name_u] and other water names are out for us since we have a rather prominent water association in our last name. :slight_smile: otherwise, [name_u]River[/name_u] would be so on our list.

[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_f]Lark[/name_f] I really like. But why does NB color [name_f]Lark[/name_f] pink? We actually have it on our list for boys…

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] goes on the list and [name_u]Canyon[/name_u], too. Underused nature name?

Thank you!

– edited to add: actually, [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] is beautiful too. Apparently means “idyllic place” in Ancient Greek? Must research! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m], [name_m]Acacius[/name_m] and [name_m]Amias[/name_m] are very cool! [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] I’ve heard on girls so far, but don’t know its history. [name_m]Acacius[/name_m] and [name_m]Amias[/name_m] are completely new to me! Plus, [name_m]Amias[/name_m] has that wonderful -as ending for boys that I seem to love. Thank you!