Siblings for Miss Maura

FYI: We are not expecting, or even trying just yet, but we probably will soon. Our daughter [name_f]Maura[/name_f] will be 2 in [name_u]June[/name_u]. I like to feel prepared. :slight_smile:

I had a list of hypothetical sibling names going in my signature, but I scrapped it because I was feeling uncertain about them. I wanted to see what others would suggest as siblings for [name_f]Maura[/name_f]. Our last name is 3 syllables and starts with Mc.

[name_m]IRL[/name_m], we will almost certainly use [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] (this name carries a lot of personal significance) or [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] (I promised her to my husband because [name_f]Maura[/name_f] was mine and I vetoed his favorite, [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f]) for our next child, but I would like to have at least one more name for each gender that I feel pretty sure about just in case. I have this crazy idea that we could have twins next time because I’m a twin.

So, what would you name [name_f]Maura[/name_f]'s little little brothers &/or sisters? If twin boys: [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] & _____? If twin girls: [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] & _____? Also, if you have any imagery for the names, please share!

I love your daughter’s name. I’ve always been partial to it since it’s very close to my name. I wish I could use it, but there’s already a [name_f]Mara[/name_f] on my husband’s side =( Also, I think it’s cool that you are a twin!

It seems like you have a Celtic feel to your naming style, so here are my suggestions:

[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Kian[/name_m]/[name_m]Cian[/name_m] (kee-inn) or [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]/[name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_u]Brennan[/name_u]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], & [name_m]Killian[/name_m]/[name_m]Cillian[/name_m]

[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_f]Aoife[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_u]Keely[/name_u] or [name_u]Kelly[/name_u]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]/[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & Ailidh
[name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], & [name_f]Helena[/name_f]

Those are my Celtic picks. I’m sorry if some of them are off the wall. I suggested some of these based off of your hubby liking [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f].

Thanks! My husband is very Irish, he’s the one who wants to use all Irish-y names, but I like so many different things it’s hard to limit myself! My favorites from your suggestions are:

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] - It was on my list originally, I just worry people think it’s unattractive. My twin’s name is [name_u]James[/name_u], so it would make me happy to use [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] as a first name or [name_u]James[/name_u] as a middle after him.

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] - I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] this name, but one of my cousins is named [name_f]Fiona[/name_f].

I also like [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] (it was my favorite boy name when I was in high school), [name_m]Cillian[/name_m], and [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], but I’m not sure I like them for OUR kids, you know what I mean?

I’d be willing to consider anything, it doesn’t have to be Irish names. We tend to like more old-fashioned or traditional names. Right now, our favorite non-Irish name is [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], we both love it, but I don’t think we’ll use it unless hubby decided to give up [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]. I’m also not sure if we can successfully branch out from Irish names without having one that obviously doesn’t belong to the set, you know?

I completely understand where you’re coming from. My husband and I are part Irish so a lot of the names we like are Celtic/Irish/Gaelic. We both love the name [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] but we have gotten some negative feedback on it so I just consider it a GP. Since both [name_f]Maura[/name_f] and [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] are classic names, you don’t have to get stuck in one genre. Is there a reason your hubby is sold on [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] other than its’ origin? I think it’s lovely with [name_f]Maura[/name_f] and [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]. I also really like [name_f]Adele[/name_f].

I’ve gotten lots of positive feedback here on Nameberry about [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], but I don’t think what Berries like always translates well to real life, you know? I really like it, though.

I think he likes [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] because St. [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] of Kildare is one of the patron saints of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. He’s very Catholic. I think [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] is a fairly traditional name as well, he prefers the other spelling though because it’s closer to the original Irish spelling and it’s the one most often associated with the saint. Also, it doesn’t rhyme with ‘midget’ LOL!

[name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] are family names (hubby’s grandma and my aunt) and [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is an attempt at smooshing [name_f]Ada[/name_f] (his other grandma) with [name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] so we don’t have to leave one of them out. He’s not crazy about [name_f]Adele[/name_f], but I like it. Those are all only options as middle names, though.

Too bad about [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]… sounds so nice with [name_f]Maura[/name_f] and [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]! Though quite a bit more popular, so maybe something better… Like [name_f]Adele[/name_f] with them too if she ever moves up to first name spot. What about [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]?

And for boys, [name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] &
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_u]Keegan[/name_u]
[name_m]Damian[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]/[name_m]Griffith[/name_m]
[name_m]Fintan[/name_m]

I like [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], but my sister is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I’d love to honor my brother, but my sister…not so much. [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] is nice, but not for me. I prefer something more familiar and easier to pronounce.

Not crazy about any of those boy names, but thank you.