Siblings with a different amount of middles?

Is it weird or un-aesthetically pleasing for one child to only have one middle name and another to have two? I know that middle names rarely ever come up in day to day life so it’s not like people would notice, but just for myself, I don’t know if I could do it for the sake of cohesion. That being said, my favorite girl name combo has one middle and boy name combo has two. Should I add one or take away one? Does it matter? If you have children with a different amount of middle names from each other, or if your siblings do, I’d love to hear your perspective.

I think it’s fine, so long as you’re happy with it! After all, each child is their own person, so if they don’t match exactly, that’s okay :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Personally it would bother me so I couldn’t do it with my own kids, but I am a huge perfectionist :see_no_evil: It would bother me slightly less if the two middles were short and the other one was longer, eg [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

3 Likes

I think it’s perfectly fine! I have seven siblings and two of us have two middles while the rest do not. It’s never really been an issue for any of us, but I am one who has two middles (and as a namenerd, I would care if some of my siblings had one more name than me, but literally none of my other siblings care and/or seem to notice). I will say your kid is likely the only one to notice and/or care, and as long as you picked a name you love it’s not likely to matter to them anyway.

I also have a cousin who is the only one out of their 3 siblings with two and it’s never been an issue for them either, so I’d say it’s more common for that to happen

1 Like

Two of my kids have 1 middle and the baby has 2. She got 2 because I had two people I wanted to honor and her first name wouldn’t honor either of them. Currently TTC and I’m undecided whether to give 1 or 2 middles. I lean towards 1 for boys and 2 for girls flow wise, but my older daughter only has 1. Oh well. At least it has four syllables. :person_shrugging: She’s never complained that she only has 1 while her sister has 2. They’re 10 and 7 years old.

1 Like

For me I’m normally really a fan of two middles only if there’s some legitimate / sentimental reason for the double middle. So I wouldn’t necessarily place a second just for the sake of placing it but I am the type of personality that if my siblings had two and I had one or vice versa I’d notice it immediately and I’d want to know the why…. And the why explained in a way that doesn’t make me feel like Inwas given the shaft sort to speak on the names.

I would notice it and be bothered slightly, but not think much of it. Most people don’t really care about it, and others seemingly don’t know middle names. You’d be fine with that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] son has two middle names but our next child will most likely have just one. It bothers me to an extent. I wouldn’t want any resentment to develop later on. It also just kind of sounds off to me, you know? However, I’ve bent over backwards trying to come up with meaningful two middle combos only to become stressed out. [name_f]My[/name_f] new philosophy is, our next child will have two middles only if we happen to find some that we love, not just for the sake of matching his/her sibling’s name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband has actually has helped my perspective in this. He has two middles. His sister has two first names and one middle. One brother has three middles. The other brother had something like 6 or 7 until he changed it. None of them ever really cared. It wasn’t a source of contention or resentment. That helped me feel better about it.

I don’t think it matters much honestly. I have a friend who is like the fifth sibling out of six or seven and he has six middle names. All of his siblings only have one. He said his parents just couldn’t agree on one name at the time so they gave him all of the ones they were thinking of… six is a little excessive lol but I guess the point is that it’s not contentious or anything.

1 Like

I have two younger sisters. Me and my 1 year younger sister have a middle and my baby sis doesn’t. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother felt that her name is so full of light that all the other names would just feel so random. I totally agree with her and I feel that all our names weight the same. :blush: I don’t really think that the names for siblings have to be in the same aesthetics either. I mean, kids grow up and have their own lives. Me and my sisters literally live in different continents (and we are best friends :heart::heart::heart:).

Where is this possible? :exploding_head: In my homeland you can only give 3! I wanna move to the land of possibilities! Basically in my country you can have more than 3 if you already have them, so to say :grin::innocent::innocent::innocent:

Lol, land of the free, UHMERIKUH! :joy:

1 Like

Thank [name_m]God[/name_m]! I was kinda debating if I would be up to moving to some hard core jungle country in the sake of giving my future kids more middles :smile: I mean jungle could be cool… never been :smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother and I both have two, my sister only has one. She always said she wished she had two like us when she was younger but now she doesn’t care

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother and I have one middle while younger sister has two. It always bothered me even though the real reason was to avoid an unfortunate spelling of her initials.

Most likely has followed me into adulthood as all my children have two middles and I expect would still have even if I wasn’t such a name fan or someone with OCD who likes to match if possible :blush:

I suppose it’s just hard to know if it’s something that will bother them later but I prefer the idea of them starting out as equal as possible to aide family harmony (haha) and for me that includes the same number of names :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: currently trying to name no.6 and it’s no easy feat :rofl: