Siblings with different sized names.

What I’m trying to ask is
What do you think about siblings with very different sized names?
Letter wise.

For example-
[name]Constantina[/name] + Sia
Or
[name]Nicholas[/name] + [name]Bill[/name]

[name]Even[/name] though the longer names could have a nn in the future does it seem weird to have such different sizes?

It doesn’t bother me.

I think it’s odd. It’s almost setting up expectations, like, this is the elegant child, and this is the cute one.

I think it depends. I’ve been told that compared to all the other names on my girls’ list, [name]Eva[/name] is super short, and she’ll feel a bit left-out. Sure, it’s only 3 letters and a lot of my other favorites can be up to about 7-9 letters, but syllable-wise, [name]Eva[/name] is no shorter than [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Hannah[/name], and it ages just as well (if not more so). But [name]Anastasia[/name] and [name]Posy[/name] as sisters? Yeah, I would find that a bit odd. Or something like [name]Alexandria[/name] and [name]Jake[/name].

I find it kind of weird. It just looks unbalanced to me when you’ve got a long name with a short one. Especially for twins, this really puts me off.

I do think that it’s a bit odd. If you have a [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Ted[/name], for instance, most people would automatically think [name]Ted[/name] was a nn. If you have [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Ted[/name], people would either assume they’re both nicknamey fn’s or nn’s. I don’t think it’s a big deal, though. A simple correction to those who get it wrong…

I don’t like it, I think I am a bit OCD with names and sibsets. I like to have the same amount of syllables for the full name for each kid to match. For example, [name]Willa[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]June[/name] [name]Marie[/name], or [name]Theodore[/name] [name]John[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] [name]Lenore[/name].

I think it depends on the names and why they were chosen. I love long girls names and would like to stick to 9 letters (or atleast 7/8) for any more possible children but I do like shorter boys names. I tend to leave them off my list because I don’t like the look of something like [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Alec[/name].

My twin nephews are [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Flynn[/name], although [name]Sebastian[/name] goes by [name]Seb[/name] 90% of the time.

I’m not aware of anyone ever having commented on their names being odd together, but they fit well together in my mind. [name]Will[/name] admit to being biased though, they’re fantastic kids!

It depends really. There are a few things you have to take into consideration such as the styles of the names. I do find that I like names to be of the same length or the sibset seems unbalanced. But…using ashthedreamers ‘[name]Eva[/name]’ I have tried to make some sibsets that seem OK with different lengths:

[name]Eva[/name] & [name]Isabel[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] this)
[name]Eva[/name] & [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Eva[/name] & [name]Beatrix[/name]

However, on the whole I would always go for similar lengths.

I don’t think length matters. A lot of the examples here above is one classic and one nickname ([name]Bill[/name], [name]Posy[/name], [name]Ted[/name]). Lots of short names are REAL names. [name]Eva[/name], [name]Alba[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Adam[/name]. They all totally hold their own against [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name].

The thing that bothers me more than the length about your examples is that the short names are very nickname-y, [name]IMO[/name]. [name]Constantina[/name] and [name]Zoe[/name], for example, or [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Ryan[/name] are just fine, but I wouldn’t pair a long formal name and a short nickname in a sibset. Like one of the previous posters said, it seems like you’re expecting one to be elegant and the other to be cute.

Yeah it always strikes me as a bit off

I find the name/nickname clash bigger than pure syllable count.

I can deal with [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] together easily. They’re very different in length but similar in style and formality. [name]Lulu[/name] is longer than [name]Jane[/name] in syllables but would look stranger with [name]Elizabeth[/name] to me.

I generally like a similar number of syllables or letters but that’s secondary to similar style.

I think people, name nerds in particular, tend to over think the importance of sibsets. Really, as long as one child isn’t named [name]Jesus[/name] and the other Hittler, or something else that is so opposite, it should be fine.

I paused a bit because of my kids names and then adding a [name]Penelope[/name]… I guess it doesn’t matter as long as you love the name an it adds some spice!

I think it depends on the names. Things like [name]Cian[/name] & [name]Alasdair[/name], or [name]Tess[/name] & [name]Calliope[/name] go great together, but [name]Bert[/name] & [name]Quintessa[/name] would be weird. I think it’s more about the styles than the length of the names themselves.