Siblings

Hello Berries,

My sister is pregnant and we were just discussing names, name combos and of course future children. This is my question to you… can siblings have the same first letter middle names? For example [name]Leon[/name] and [name]Lou[/name]? Or [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Lou[/name]? Is that too close? Or does it not matter? Thank you!

I think they can have the first starting letter so long as they’re still quite separate in sound. [name]Leon[/name] and [name]Lou[/name] seems better to me than [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Lou[/name], though I think that could still work because they sound different to me. The fact that [name]Leo[/name] is two syllables and [name]Lou[/name] is only one help. [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Louis[/name]/[name]Lewis[/name] would be better, though.

My grandmother and my mother did it for us. My mom and her siblings start with the letter “D”. They each have a different letter for their first name, so there was no confusion if they sent mail to the house. ie. Instead of two N.D.[name]Smith[/name], there was one N.D.[name]Smith[/name] and one M.D.[name]Smith[/name]. While my sisters and I start with the letter “L”.

To continue with tradition, I have thought about using the letter “E” or “F” as the common first letter for the middle name. It has proven to be challenging for me, so I am thinking of including a common letter instead. ie. [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Fable[/name] (off the top of my head) but it doesn’t look as special.

I don’t see the need to double up on any initial, unless you really want to. With that said, it is a middle name - so I wouldn’t be too concerned if [name]Lou[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] for example are the names you adore. It’s not for me though.

So for example it would not be weird if there were sib sets like [name]Alex[/name] [name]Leon[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Lou[/name]? Not saying I would use the first names I am focused on the middle.

I think it is fine but then again my sister and I share the exact same initials. A.L. F but I feel our names are very different. I’m [name]Alix[/name] [name]Louise[/name] and she is [name]Anna[/name] [name]Lillian[/name], never had issues with mail using only initials and in our home when we where younger I would use L to mark my things and she used and N.

My middle name is [name]Nicole[/name] and my brother’s middle name is [name]Cole[/name]. Who cares? My mom wanted my first name to be [name]Nicole[/name] so she calls me that all the time (my name is [name]Andrea[/name]) but when my brother [name]Wyatt[/name] got in trouble they usually said, “Quiet [name]Wyatt[/name]” or “[name]Wyatt[/name] Earp” instead of yelling his full name. I think middle names are fun but you don’t use them enough to need to overthink them.

That being said, I have a daughter [name]Harriet[/name] Franceszka and I am thinking about naming my boy due in February [name]Hobbes[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] and it certainly did occur to me that they would have the same initials.