Sibs with same initial? is it ok?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries! I recently narrowed down (way down) our list for baby #3 to 2 names. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] (which i [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Love[/name_u] and is my #1 fave) or [name_m]Levi[/name_m] (my husband’s fave, I’m a little torn bc of it’s sky-rocketing popularity, or so it seems) Most likely his name will be [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]Levi[/name_m].
HOWEVER, My other 2 kids are [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_f]Selah[/name_f]. So my question, is it ok to have 2 kids with the same initial and 1 kid with a different initial? is it weird? will [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] feel disconnected? This is probably my last child so I won’t be able to redeem myself with a different initial later on.
Please help!

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

My name is [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], and I have two brothers named [name_m]Austin[/name_m] and [name_u]Tyler[/name_u]. It’s never really been weird for us. [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] has never complained about being the only T. So I think you’re fine! :slight_smile:
If you’re still doubtful, you could always name him [name_m]Levi[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] so the initials are all different. I don’t think you have to worry though!

I think if you had five kids, and everyone but [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] had “S” names, he would feel left out. But, with only three kids, it is totally ok to have two beginning with the same letter, he won’t feel left out. I’d just make sure [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_f]Selah[/name_f] don’t share a middle initial, too.

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]Levi[/name_m] is a great combo, I love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_f]Selah[/name_f], and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] together!

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]Levi[/name_m] is a great name! When it comes to the initial, me and my three sisters (+ mother) all have names starting on A. However, my brother has a name starting on M. He really likes his name and has said he doesn’t care that he didn’t get an A name. I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_f]Selah[/name_f] & [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is a wonderful sibset!

I really don’t think it’s a big deal. I think as nameholics, we worry over little things like that but most of the population does not. Also, the two S names have different sounds so it isn’t as matchy. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]!

Of course it’s okay. My dad is the only person in his family without a “J” name and he’s never cared in the slightest.

I would personally avoid it. Seems a bit off, and the other child will be left out.

My husband is the only S among three Js and he thinks it’s a bit weird, but doesn’t care. I love [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] for you and I think your choice is really the best for the sibset. [name_m]Levi[/name_m] is indeed skyrocketing.

I don’t see an issue with two S names and I. But three S names and then an I would seem off to me.
And [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] is handsome.

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]Levi[/name_m] is gorgeous! Personally, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, especially since the ‘s’ sound in ‘[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]’ is different to the ‘s’ sound in [name_f]Selah[/name_f]. c:

I think it would be completely fine.

Has anyone mentioned [name_m]Bill[/name_m] Cosby’s real life kids yet? All of their names all start with “E”, because it stands for “excellence”. It’d be extra fitting if the letter chosen for the children’s names had some special significance for the parents…

I don’t see a problem at all! The nickname [name_m]Shep[/name_m] is cute too.

Thanks everyone for your input! My mind is more at ease about choosing a second “s” name for our family. Plus, you’re right, [name_f]Selah[/name_f] and [name_m]Shepard[/name_m] are different S sounds. Thanks again!

I thought I’d just add that I have a sister named [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] and a brother named [name_m]John[/name_m]. However I am from a family of eight so it might have been hard to keep them all different.

I feel like it’s actually quite common for 2 siblings to have the same starting letter with one, or two with a different letter. I see it quite frequently.
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_f]Selah[/name_f] and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] it just fine. If you love [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] more, why use a name you like less? Doesn’t make sense to me.
My brothers’ names start with the same letter and mine is different- I couldn’t care less, to be honest. I’ve always felt left out that I got a filler middle name while my brothers got family middles, but the first initial situation never comes in to play.

My friend [name_m]Tim[/name_m] has a sister named [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] and a brother named [name_u]Chris[/name_u]. [name_u]Chris[/name_u] has never complained about having a different first initial than his siblings. I think you’ll be okay. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’m in this situation as well. I have 3 kids and the youngest and oldest start with the same letter. It’s really a non-issue! We just picked the names we loved the most and didn’t give it a second thought.

Best of luck!

I think it’s fine, not a problem at all.

Because [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] has that S/Z sound at the start, it actually fits that way with [name_f]Selah[/name_f] and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], and helps all three of the names sound melodic to my eyes when I read them out together.

It’s not a big deal at all. Personally, I’d try to steer clear of matching initials, but all in all, it’s just a weird preference some people have. If you love [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], use it. By the time the children are all old enough to realise that [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is the only I, they’ll probably be too old to care about it.