Sibset Disappointment?

This might just be me. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you ever come across a sibset and their names are gorgeous or super matchy or in some way set your expectations, and then you find out the last siblings name and it ruins it? Examples-

brothers [name_m]Rocco[/name_m], [name_u]Lennox[/name_u], and baby [name_m]Winston[/name_m] playing together, then big sister [name_f]Emma[/name_f] comes over. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] ruins it for me

I teach swim lessons and there are siblings [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_m]Sean[/name_m], and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I asked them what their youngest sister was and they said [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

Have any examples of sibsets that just don’t match?

Edit: help me I just met two sisters at the pool named Amelie and Sawyer

Yes! It does bother me. The most recent one for me was older brother [name_m]Levi[/name_m] and little sister [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. They just don’t go at all to me.

Lol the [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], [name_m]Sean[/name_m] and [name_f]Eva[/name_f] one though–it grates on me! Such a name nerd problem

I may have a variation of this, I get sibset disappointment when I hear the names and the theme is all-to-clear, ever-dominating to me that the individual names shrink into the background. It feels tacky and constricting like a corset to me.

Examples:
[name_u]Kim[/name_u], [name_f]Khloe[/name_f], [name_f]Kourtney[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]

When I meet sibsets like that, the theme usually has been set early on so the names of the last kid or two often seem quite forced to me and not joyful and vibrant at all, but rather chosen just to fit the theme.

I personally do not get disappointed. For me, siblings are different people and their names can be completely different or unrelated. I don’t analyse the names of families I meet

I think names should be a case by case basis. But I really don’t like it when there’s a name theme like [name_f]Gia[/name_f] , [name_m]Graham[/name_m] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and then the parents name the 4th baby [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. That just looks odd to me. I think if after baby #2 you have to commit if that’s what you want

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Jewel[/name_f] and… [name_u]Jayden[/name_u]

Obviously, it doesn’t matter at all, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have some feelings of dissatisfaction in some instances.

I know a family with 10 children. All of the boys names end in -an and all of the girls names begin with A. Except for one daughter, whose name is [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. I just wonder: why?!? Haha

Yes, yes, yes!

Sibsets that I have recently come across like this are…

[name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Hailey[/name_f], [name_f]Carly[/name_f] and [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (all girls)
[name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] and [name_f]Wendy[/name_f]

I know that it shouldn’t bother me, but the thought; “What were these parents thinking?” pops into my head! :slight_smile:

My grandmother, [name_f]Janet[/name_f] had the following siblings: [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Judith[/name_f], [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m], [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]. And then, [name_u]Michael[/name_u].

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_m]Luke[/name_m]

[name_f]Nadia[/name_f], [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]

[name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Holly[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]

Apparently a lack of alliteration irks me haha

I knew:

• [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Holly[/name_f], and [name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
  • [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u], [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u], [name_m]Liam[/name_m], and [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
  • [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], and Britten

It’s weird how in both these examples, it was the first child who got left out of the trend.

My friend told me about her neighbors who have 4 girls and a boy named [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], and… [name_m]Quinlan[/name_m]. They had the girls first then the boy so I guess they just ran out of ideas for a fourth girl?

Also just met sisters at my dance recital named [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]. With [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] being the oldest.

Well, some people just like names, and don’t really care about making sure the names “go” together.

It’s weird how in both these examples, it was the first child who got left out of the trend.

Whether true or not, this strongly suggests a blended family.
Maybe the oldest child is from a previous relationship.

Other than saying my own kids names/ proposed names out loud together and maintaining loose origin themes myself, and noting other people’s obvious trends, I have not really thought about this much at all! Some of the above look and sound perfect together to me :confused:

ETA my interest in names comes from an interest in words/ language/ culture/ history I guess rather than a Sims type thing, if that makes sense. I mean I do notice family names and whether same ‘type’ but I don’t go further than that, or haven’t beforehand, I may start looking more now…

I met sisters called [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]! What a sibset!

One of my friends, named with the casual name [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], is a firstborn and has a twelve years younger sister, named [name_f]Prudence[/name_f]. I see that the naming style of the parents can drastically change throughout the years.

To me, [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] isn’t at all casual and is a similar type of name to [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] (although they don’t go terribly well together). I think culture, being part of how we categorise and perceive names, means names are not same type to one person will be to another.

Yes, things like this grate on me massively!

I know there have been many instances of it but right now I can’t think of any!

One celebrity one that frustrates me is [name_u]Blake[/name_u] Lively and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] [name_m]Reynolds[/name_m]'s daughters: [name_f]Inez[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u]. [name_f]Inez[/name_f] is vintage, frilly and feminine and [name_u]James[/name_u] is trendy and masculine. They just don’t go!!

I only notice when it’s something obvious - like my pre-namenerd self would notice - and only when refering to larger sibsets. Example: [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m], [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] and… [name_m]Joe[/name_m].
A lot of the pp’s examples are fine by my standards; I don’t like matchy much. Also a 2 kids sibset doesn’t tell me much about the parents style, like [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] & [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - maybe [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] is mom’s favorite name and [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is dad’s; or maybe their 3rd girl would be [name_f]Adriana[/name_f]; [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Adriana[/name_f], the style is not to have a style. Also I LOT of people, me included, have different styles for boys and girls.

It only bothers me when one or more of the siblings have awesome, well thought out, beautifully rare names, and then one has a trendy mashup name that will seem dated in a few years. I just feel kind of bad for that kid. Otherwise it doesn’t bother me. Each child is their own person! They likely won’t live together for most of their lives so I try to see it as not a big deal.

Singer [name_f]Brandi[/name_f] Carlile and her wife have a daughter called [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], which I think is a beautiful distinguished and very feminine name. Then they announced the name of their second daughter: [name_m]Elijah[/name_m].