Sibset Disappointment?

I love nitpicking sibsets! [name_m]Even[/name_m] when they’re actually fine lol. Like [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], and [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. Surely [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] could be a little less classic? Or [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]…is [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] too old for the rest? What about [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]? In reality these are all perfectly fine sibsets but namenerds do get bored.

My BFF growing up always loved romantic names like [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], [name_u]Carmen[/name_u], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]…etc. she dreamed about having girls with those kinds of names.

Then she got married and her husband was extremely picky about names and hates all the ones she loved. He was really harsh about it and even now, over ten years later, she still feels resentful about it.

They have three girls. My friend only got to have her way with one of them. Her last girl she was so worn down by her husband that she just said “I don’t care, name her whatever you want.” So sad.

Her girls are [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], Carmendy, and [name_f]Hailey[/name_f].

She hates the names [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] and [name_f]Hailey[/name_f]. :frowning: And she knows they names don’t go together at all. I think it’s her greatest regret, not fighting harder for names she loved.

@laurelrobyn - That is terrible! I can’t imagine having to give my child a name I hated! Her SO sounds like a nightmare…

I watch a couple on YouTube who just announced that their twins will be C@iro and [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], older brother Z@vier. It’s not too disappointing per se, but it does seem a bit odd to me to name one twin a name that isn’t used very often, and the other one a well known name. Idk, I just feel like C@iro stands out so much more than his siblings.

I don’t really care for others’ names much, individually or in the ways of sibsets. It’s none of my business, really, and I recognize that it isn’t always a priority for parents to make a more cohesive sibset. Names (and their style), in my opinion, shouldn’t have to be restricted for the sake of cohesion.

Of course it doesn’t matter, and I doubt that anyone here would say “those names don’t match” to someone’s face. I don’t think the thread is suggesting that sibsets absolutely have to match. Obviously, the idea of matching is very subjective. And as long as people aren’t being rude, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having opinions about names outside of the internet.

On the subject, I forgot about a family I used to know who had daughters named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Libby[/name_f]”, [name_f]Miley[/name_f], and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] “[name_f]Tori[/name_f]”. [name_f]Miley[/name_f] was the middle daughter, and I always wondered if the parents traded off who named the kids because [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] are classics that have always been popular but [name_f]Miley[/name_f] became well-known with the rise of [name_f]Miley[/name_f] [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m].

Edited for privacy

It does irk me a little bit, I won’t lie, but Mainly it’s only something I’d freak out about with my own children. I’m a stickler for patterns- you can best believe I’ll analyse my own children’s names, initials, nicknames, origin, length etc… with their siblings at great length, but I’m unlikely to think a huge anount about other families

I don’t think coordinated sibsets are terribly important to me. I like classic, gently old-fashioned names, but I would never discount a name that I loved just because it didn’t fit this bill.

I would call my future children [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m], and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]. I don’t know if they go nicely together in other people’s eyes, but to me they’re perfect. They’re a blend of family honour names and all-time favourites, and that’s all that matters to me.

I think the reason behind the parents’ name choice, and their love for the name, is more important than whether it is perceived as fitting a certain trend.

I also think there can be an opposite problem where the sibset is too coordinated. I once knew identical twin girls called [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Lila[/name_f] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. The names were just too similar for me.

I’m not disappointed so much as usually just… curious? Especially when some/all of the names are strong stylistic statements. I’m surprised when people who seem to have a strong sense of syle don’t have it consistently. To me, it’s like having your whole house done in mid-century modern decor… with a [name_m]French[/name_m] country kitchen. It’s fine, it’s your house… but why? If I know the reasoning and thought that went into the names, I find that mitigates that twinge of “disappointment” I might feel.

For instance, I know of a pair of twins named “J0s1e” and “Br1nl3y”. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time I hear the set, it bugs me, because those names are so wildly different to me, and I have no idea why the parents would choose to name their twins that way. I also know of a twinset named “Au5t1n” and “0bad1ah”. This one bugs me less because I know that the parents had two totally different styles and just could not agree on names, so they split the naming (each named one twin). The names still don’t “go” together, but it’s understandable, and the explanation makes it easier to appreciate the qualities of each individual name.

My own grandparents were definitely offenders, too; their kids are [name_f]Ladonna[/name_f], [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], and… [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. That’s down to the gender thing - they had much more conservative taste in boys’ names. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sisters- [name_f]Elliana[/name_f] and [name_u]Devi[/name_u]. It’s difficult to fathom how sibling name cohesion just isn’t that important to some people…

my cousin just had a baby with a massive age gap (16 and 14) and the baby’s name doesn’t fit i think?

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] , [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] and then [name_u]Seth[/name_u]? I know the theme is biblical names like the majority of names in my family but I just think [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] or [name_m]Issac[/name_m] would have gone much better and they’re still names that haven’t been used?? Thats just my mum & I’s view tho…

Oh overly matchy sets get me too. I knew identical twins named [name_f]Lacie[/name_f] and [name_u]Lexie[/name_u]. My sister also knew sisters named [name_f]Joy[/name_f], Joyelle, and [name_f]Trinity[/name_f]. No twins, they just liked [name_f]Joy[/name_f] so much they used it twice I guess?

I’m pregnant with #2 right now and though we haven’t found out gender yet, I’m struggling with boy names that fit with my daughters awesome name. Part of me wants to pick something cohesive, but the other part of me wants the freedom to just find any name my heart desires regardless of cohesion. It’s so hard! I love many types of names so I can understand having siblings with different style names.

I do wonder about the parents who choose mostly one style and then have an outlier that just doesn’t fit at all. It’s a big commitment, choosing baby names, and sometimes I think parents accidentally stumble onto a theme without really doing it on purpose and for their third or fourth kid they don’t want to follow their accidental theme.

Example, my daughter is [name_f]Nova[/name_f]. We like the names [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], and [name_u]River[/name_u]. If we named our baby [name_u]Orion[/name_u], then had a third, I don’t know if I could stick to the astrological theme. I would feel so constrained. So I’m tempted to purposefully NOT name my child an astrological name just so I’m not stuck with that theme in the future…

Sigh…it’s haaaaaard.

Yes! This is a pet peeve of mine. The most annoying thing is that it is within my family. The sib-set [name_f]Nova[/name_f] [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and… [name_m]Amir[/name_m]. The daughter is from a previous relationship, but still.
And, another sib-set: [name_f]Wilda[/name_f], [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and… [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]. This one actually puzzles me the most.

Yes! This makes me die a little inside. I have oodles, but I’m gonna post them all separately and as anonymously as possible.

C0nn0r, Br00ke, H@d1ey… and N0@h

I bet many will disagree with this because they start with the same letter and are not one syllable, but the style is very different to me:

F1nn… and F0×

Mi1es… and K@i. Both boys.

E1iz@beth M@ri1yn, Linds@y M@e D@wn, & [name_m]Rich[/name_m]@rd C01t0n. They go by E1iz@beth, Linds@y M@e, & C01t0n.