Sibset Disappointment?

I don’t know what annoys me more name themes like [name_u]Corey[/name_u], [name_f]Cassie[/name_f], [name_u]Chase[/name_u], and [name_f]Callie[/name_f] or completely mismatched sibling name styles like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_u]Brinley[/name_u]. It amazes me that parents don’t take into consideration name popularity, style, and beginning letters when choosing sibling names.

It only bothers me when people start alliteration with the first couple kids and then stop, for example, I know a sibset that is [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_u]Micah[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Also, my friend is called [name_f]Aleisha[/name_f] and her siblings all have ‘unique’ spellings of name ([name_f]Aleisha[/name_f], Taeler, [name_f]Keira[/name_f], [name_f]Aimie[/name_f]) and then her smallest brother is [name_u]Ryan[/name_u].

Those are the only things that bother me. My boys and girls names are so different to eachother.

In terms of stopping a pattern

[name_f]Kayleigh[/name_f], [name_u]Jay[/name_u], Kyarah, [name_m]Jary[/name_m], and [name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], and [name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_u]Lex[/name_u], [name_u]Max[/name_u], and [name_m]Tom[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], and [name_m]Kaedyn[/name_m]

I visibly cringed at [name_m]Kaedyn[/name_m] with the rest of the sibset.

It does annoy me, though I would never commnent on it in real life. I have a friend who has three boys. Her oldest has a one syllable name that starts with a vowel, her second son has a one syllable name that starts with another vowel and the third baby is a two syllable name that starts with a consonant. I was like well that’s different. Like the names sound good together, just different than what I would have done.

Usually I see this most often in celebrities. I’m sorry, but [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] Kutcher and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] Kunis especially. This is our daughter [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] and our son [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m]. Like total completely opposite name styles I guess.

Yes I really don’t like it.

Some real life examples of ones that bother me.

[name_f]Shandi[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], and [name_f]Indra[/name_f] (boy)

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_m]Sebastiano[/name_m]

[name_f]Melinda[/name_f], [name_f]Teresa[/name_f], and [name_f]Krysta[/name_f]

My SO’s parents have five children. The initials of the first 4 children are A, E, I, and O (in that order). Then, finally, the youngest child’s name begins with an M!

However, I find the situation amusing rather than annoying. The vowel initials were not intentional, and my SO’s parents did not even realize until their eldest pointed it out before the birth of the last baby. My SO’s dad started campaigning hard for a U name, but my SO’s mother had been forced by her husband to give 3 of her first 4 children names that he liked without any consultation with her (in fact, she hated my SO’s name!), and knowing this would be her last she put her foot down and insisted on a name that she had happy memories associated with! In fact, I am very proud of her for standing up for herself!

Also, I will point out that some name grouping may appear strange if you are not very in tune with a particular culture/language’s naming traditions. For instance, my SO’s Spanish-speaking Mexican family. His oldest and youngest brothers have recognizably Spanish-language names, but his sister has a name more associated with English nobility, his name is a biblical name of Hebrew origins associated with the English language, and another brother has a name normally associated with Arabic-speaking peoples. However, all of them are actually perfectly acceptable names in Mexico, even if to some with less context they appear a bit mismatched.

[name_u]Avi[/name_u]'e11@, We$tin, & Mir@be11e

[name_u]Avi[/name_u]'e11@, We$tin, & Mir@be11e

Gr@ce, Pype®, & Cece1i@

[name_f]Amori[/name_f]@, $erenity, and Indir@

I saw this thread last week and thought I did not know any disappointing sibsets. However, I realized I know a family who has three kids, [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], [name_m]Brandon[/name_m], and [name_f]Kaitlin[/name_f]. I’m not exactly disappointed, but I don’t like it lol.

OP here! I didn’t mean to be rude if I offended anyone. I don’t think names have to “go” together per say, I’m just disappointed because I’m a pattern freak and things have to go together for me lol. I would never say these things outside of nameberry.

Anyways I realized another one, my old friend is very catholic and has 10 (?) siblings, so here they are. I’ll put their nicknames in parenthesis, most go full time by a nickname

[name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]), [name_m]Frey[/name_m]@, [name_u]James[/name_u] ([name_m]Jimmy[/name_m]), [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ([name_m]Tommy[/name_m]) [name_f]Helen[/name_f]@ ([name_f]Ellie[/name_f]), [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] (JP), [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] ([name_f]Lilly[/name_f]) and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] ([name_u]Danny[/name_u])

All such classic names, and they are all [name_m]Saint[/name_m] names, but then [name_m]Frey[/name_m]@! Norse mythology?

The thing is, people may have a myriad of reasons for choosing the names they do.

Take me, for example. My daughter’s name is [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], which is a very classic name. But it is also most famously associated with [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn. So with our subsequent children, I could have gone one of two ways. Either I could give all of my children classic names, or I could name my children after actors of Hollywood’s golden age. Or, I could give all of my children names that begin with the letter A. obviously, we decided to stick with classic names.

now we are trying for baby number three. both of our children have classic names that begin with a vowel ([name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]). Does this mean that we need to stick with the pattern and give our next baby a name that begins with I? personally, I don’t particularly care for any names that begin with I. so I’ll stick with classic names, even if they don’t fit the pattern of the names beginning with a vowel

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] go great together! I don’t care about patterns like that, only ones where it was obvious the parent was trying to make a pattern then stopped. I know that some of the names I like don’t go perfectly with my other names and that wouldn’t stop me, it just catches my attention when there’s something like [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] [name_m]Sean[/name_m] [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] chiming in to say that this sometimes happens when there are divorces/separations and then remarriages/re-partnering and the newest sibling is actually a step-sibling. This situation isn’t always obvious but it’s pretty common.

When there is a new parent involved, preferences and cultural backgrounds may be different than before and the naming pattern changes.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] my own siblings drive me nuts with it. My sisters are [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and [name_f]Kristina[/name_f] ([name_u]Mandy[/name_u] and [name_f]Krissy[/name_f]) very popular names in 1975 and 1978 respectively. I was born in 1985 and named [name_f]Jeannie[/name_f]. It just doesn’t go.

My son is [name_u]James[/name_u], his big brother that passed away was [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and his sister we don’t see very often is [name_f]Kasandra[/name_f]. Her name bugs me with the spelling and that it just doesn’t flow with [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u] but oh well what can I do.

Ooh do i have a good one for you!
My cousin has 5 kids, i love some name choices but her combination is a disaster. 3 girls starting with AU. And 2 very random boy names.

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]*
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]*
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]*
(Drives everyone up the wall calling them)

[name_u]Rio[/name_u]: ( I adore)
Mattox ( Hate…)

Ok this one is truly an outlier! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know their reasoning for choosing a pagan name?

I was thinking a lot about what makes a good, not tacky or restrictive theme when I was at the beginning of my mother journey… a previous poster pointed out that every name fits into several different categories, so there’s always more choice than people may perceive. In fact, I love a subset where all names complement and enhance each other, rather than underline “the one theme” which makes it feel tacky to me.

I also think others have a point in bringing up blended families and unexpected events. I’ve had three miscarriages. My naming themes went out the window. If I’m lucky, I will carry this one to full-term… which means two kids total for us. The theme idea has changed into “thank god im pregnant again” and if anything, then I think I want to make sure that I check off all my naming boxes that I didn’t check off with my first, because I was following all the good naming advice out there about “not using all your favorite names for the first child” etc.

So this means for me that right now, honoring my family and ancestry is top priority with this next name, and I care very little whether the name we’ll decide on will go with our son’s name.

Another thing that can happen aside from outside circumstances is that each baby can come with its own name… For example, I dreamed one of the names.

The matchiest sibset I know is: [name_f]Leeann[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Leandra[/name_f], & [name_u]Leigh[/name_u].
The most mismatched one I know is: [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], Hallelujah, [name_f]Dina[/name_f], & [name_f]Ella[/name_f].