Sibset face-off

Ok, I’m narrowing in here. Posting in the girls’ section, because most of my worries are about the girls’ names, but it’s really a sibset issue. Last name is similar to “Garden.” Not sure how many kids we’ll have. Probably only one or two, though I’d love to name my own [name]Von[/name] Trapp family. If we have two boys, maybe [name]Crispin[/name] Wythe and Ywen [name]Marsh[/name]?
I’ve got two possible sibsets emerging:

[name]Mab[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] ([name]Margaret[/name] for my favorite aunt)
[name]Imogen[/name] Solace (nickname [name]Ginger[/name]. I just discovered Solace. Wonderful word, love the sound, feels so old-fashioned.)
[name]Clement[/name] Ywen (nickname [name]Cy[/name] for C.Y. initials. Ywen would honor my father indirectly. As would Wythe- below.)

PROS: [name]Mab[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] feel well-balanced in this set. I adore the two virtue names, very much a tradition in my family. Ywen is a favorite.
CONS: If I only have one daughter, I will probably want to honor [name]Margaret[/name], and may miss out on [name]Ginger[/name].

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] (nickname [name]Ginger[/name])
[name]Mab[/name] [name]Muriel[/name] ([name]Muriel[/name] is my great grandmother’s name, maybe more graceful than [name]Margaret[/name] with [name]Mab[/name]?)
[name]Crispin[/name] Wythe or [name]Crispin[/name] [name]Henry[/name] (nickname [name]Cy[/name] for C.Y-heavy mn. Many generations of Henries in my family)

PROS: I love zippy [name]Crispin[/name], which honors my grandma. [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is very complete and gets me to [name]Ginger[/name] with first daughter.
CONS: [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is complete, but a bit… old-lady (not edgy-puritan-old-lady coolness like [name]Imogen[/name] Solace?) DH really likes [name]Crispin[/name] but isn’t wild about Wythe or [name]Henry[/name]. Rejects all other Y-names that might get us to nickname [name]Cy[/name], which we love.

Your opinions are much appreciated! I am putting the cart before the horse but I crave cognitive closure. :-b
PS- I know [name]Mab[/name] and [name]Ginger[/name] raise some eyebrows, but I’m attached to them both.
PPS- I told DH I was worried about his side of the family not being represented as much in our names, though he did come up with beautiful [name]Crispin[/name] and [name]Mab[/name], and loves all Shakespearean names. He said, “They’ll have my last name!” So generous.

Thanks [name]Eve[/name]! It’s “[name]YU[/name]-wen” like [name]Ewan[/name] [name]McGregor[/name], but less squashy-looking with this spelling imo. Means yew tree in Welsh (I’m largely Welsh.)

Wow, these are stunning! I knew from seeing some of your posts that you had great taste, but these just take the biscuit :slight_smile: I think I prefer the first set because [name]Imogen[/name] Solace is perfection, plus I love the contrast between amazingly refreshing, spritely [name]Mab[/name] and classic [name]Margaret[/name]. Also loving [name]Clement[/name] Ywen as a way to reach beloved [name]Cy[/name], and I definitely know what you mean about Ywen being less squashy than [name]Ewan[/name]. Great meaning, too.

[name]Imogen[/name] Solace vs [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] - Although both are lovely, I definitely prefer [name]Imogen[/name] Solace to [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Imogen[/name] Solace has a sort of pure, lacy vibe with an awesome edgy kick, especially with the nn [name]Ginger[/name]. [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] feels safer, and lacks the quirkiness of the Solace combo.

[name]Mab[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] vs [name]Mab[/name] [name]Muriel[/name] - Really love the alliteration of both [name]Mab[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Mab[/name] [name]Muriel[/name], but I think [name]Margaret[/name] is more grounding and gives the name more solidity and substance than [name]Muriel[/name]. I like the classic feel of [name]Margaret[/name] here, rather than the more clunky vintage feel I get from [name]Muriel[/name]. I understand wanting an elegant name to go with [name]Mab[/name], but I actually see [name]Margaret[/name] as more elegant than [name]Muriel[/name] (call me strange, haha).

[name]Clement[/name] Ywen vs [name]Crispin[/name] Wythe/[name]Henry[/name] - This is difficult, as I get great but fairly different imagery from all three options here. [name]Clement[/name] Ywen is sunny and zesty, with green and earthy tones. I picture a pretty grove of trees with rich leafy colours and clear skies. [name]Crispin[/name] Wythe sounds like an intelligent, bookish little boy who has magical adventures (please excuse my fanciful imagery, these names have really captured my imagination). [name]Crispin[/name] [name]Henry[/name] I see as a smart, fashionable student with an arty streak, always carrying a notebook and a cup of coffee. I think (think) my favourite is [name]Clement[/name] Ywen, possibly because with [name]Crispin[/name] there’s always an annoying voice at the back of my mind whispering “crispy [name]Crispin[/name]”, although it’s a hard one to call.

I hope some of that makes sense and is of any kind of use to you :stuck_out_tongue: The slightly artsy, slightly old-fashioned vibe these names have is just delightful - I really don’t think you can go wrong!

Oh, I forgot to add that [name]Mab[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Clement[/name] are truly adorable together :slight_smile:

Thank you Ms LeFaye, for saying my names “take the biscuit!” I’ve never heard that before but now I must start using it. I’m really liking your thoughts about [name]Mab[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name]. I’d like to hear some other people’s opinions before I decide, but I think you may be right. [name]Crispin[/name] Ywen vs [name]Clement[/name] Wythe/[name]Henry[/name]… I like hearing what imagery the names call up- thank you. It’s hard to know… [name]Clement[/name] Ywen feels so peaceful, [name]Crispin[/name] so cheerful, sparkling… I do agree that [name]Clement[/name] has a better ending sound with a sister [name]Imogen[/name]. Not sure that’s a deal-breaker, but you make a strong point.

I like [name]Crispin[/name] more than [name]Clement[/name] (though both are nice); however, I too have to vote for the first sibset.

I like Solace-- it’s a wonderful word-name that I’ve never seen actually used, but what a breathtaking meaning. And it’s not so everyday as to drag the name down (like [name]Blue[/name] or [name]True[/name] or something). Paired with [name]Imogen[/name] it really works, from both a stylistic perspective and a rhythm/meter one.

[name]Margaret[/name] grounds [name]Mab[/name]. I think [name]Muriel[/name] is hard to pull off nowadays, despite its utterly lovely meaning, given that myoo starting sound. [name]Mab[/name] [name]Muriel[/name] is two odd names together. Something as sensible as [name]Margaret[/name] grounds [name]Mab[/name], not to mention honoring your aunt.

Again, I like [name]Crispin[/name] more, but you have to use Ywen!

[name]Blade[/name]! Relieved to see you, you little onomastic-surgeon! [name]Glad[/name] you like Solace.
[name]Imogen[/name] Solace, [name]Mab[/name] [name]Margaret[/name], and…

!!! It’s killing me. My two favorite boy names are [name]Crispin[/name] and Ywen for sure. Husband keeps saying “[name]Crispin[/name] Ywen” which just doesn’t fly. [name]Crispin[/name] VS Ywen. Who wins? [name]Both[/name] will be [name]Cy[/name] much of the time… Ach!

[name]Imogen[/name] Solace and Ywen [name]Marsh[/name], first choice by a slight margin

[name]Mab[/name] [name]Muriel[/name] (I disagree with pp in that I love the more unexpected choice of [name]Muriel[/name] and it IS fresh), and [name]Crispin[/name] Wythe~

Good luck, [name]Ginger[/name] :wink:

Not cinnamon indeed! Hooray! a [name]Ginger[/name]!
The thing about [name]Mab[/name] [name]Muriel[/name] is that it only works if I use [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name], because I’d really love to use [name]Margaret[/name] somewhere to honor my aunt who’s like a mother to me.
Ywen [name]Marsh[/name] huh? I like that one too! I just don’t know anymore… I’m beginning to think I really need to start having twins. Maybe if I eat a lot of yams to make myself hyperovulate. ([name]Just[/name] kidding! Sort of.)

You could do two middles. Something with 3 syllables in the middle and no Ns! Random example being [name]Crispin[/name] [name]Matthias[/name] Ywen X.

Huh. Interesting idea. Seems like a lot of effort just to use both names. And [name]Cy[/name] would really feel contrived with [name]Matthias[/name] in the mix. But I bet my husband would love to sneak a [name]Matt[/name] name in there somehow. Maybe [name]Matias[/name] would feel less… rectangular?
[name]Crispin[/name] [name]Matias[/name] Ywen …
?
[name]Clement[/name] Ywen
[name]Crispin[/name] Wythe
[name]Crispin[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
I think we’ll have to bite the bullet and choose one. What would you do?

I think it’s so uncommon for the non-onomast in a naming couple to suggest a name that the onomast loves, you should really seriously consider [name]Crispin[/name].

In all our Y name suggestions, there were two overlooked. The first is Shakespearean: [name]Yorick[/name]. The second is the most obvious yew-related name of all: Yew. It’s Ywen minus the offending N. and if you’re considering Solace for the middle, why not Yew? It works gorgeously from a meter and phonetic perspective, and obviously has the right imagery.

[name]Crispin[/name] [name]Yorick[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name] Yew

What do you think?

Otherwise, I vote Wythe.

[name]Yorick[/name]… I think I will have to ask my husband who knows [name]Hamlet[/name] inside and out. My initial reaction is that it’s strange to put a memento-mori within a name. Like wearing a hair-locket. I like it, but I’m not sure I’m so drawn to the name to justify the cleverness. My husband recently held the skull of a horse-thief whose last request before hanging was to play [name]Yorick[/name]! It was passed on to [name]John[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] [name]Booth[/name]‘s brother, and is now kept at the Players’ Club in NYC. Anyway, he was really tickled about it, so maybe he’ll love the idea of [name]Yorick[/name].

Yew: I’d thought about this, but discarded the idea because I thought it wasn’t as dimensional as Ywen. It’s not as lovely to say or look at, but it does serve the same purpose (tree name, honors my teacher Mr [name]Yu[/name].) I will give this one some serious consideration.

Thanks so much B!

Ok, so my husband thinks [name]Crispin[/name] [name]Yorick[/name] is too much [name]Shakespeare[/name] for one name, doesn’t give the kid room to breathe. I’m inclined to agree. [name]Crispin[/name] is most likely the name, and we’re between Yew and Wythe now. I’m going to shut this thread down, maybe post in the boys’ room later.

Thank you to all! E