'Sibsets' and length

I’m curious to hear everyone’s opinions on whether the comparitive length of sibling names matter, and if so how much. For you, do names have to be the same or similar numbers of syllables, or is it only style that matters?

If one child has a four syllable name but goes almost exclusively by a shorter nickname (e.g. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is always [name]Betsy[/name] or [name]Elle[/name]) could you give a second child a one syllable name? Does it matter less when there are more children in a family (e.g. is [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name] more noticeable or ‘off’ than [name]Finn[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name])? Would wide syllable variation, such as sisters [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Martha[/name] and [name]June[/name] be alright, in your opinion?

[name]Auburn[/name]

To me, it only has to be similar in style. Not the same style or length. I can’t really like a sibset of [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] but I love mixing names from different origins ([name]Nikolai[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] or [name]Soren[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name])… Number of letters and syllables don’t even cross my mind. I feel like if you keep things the same, you’re limiting yourself now and in the future. [name]Just[/name] go with what you love and if that means pairing an [name]Elizabeth[/name] with a [name]Makenzie[/name] and Jaiyden, then so be it.

Honestly, I love [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name] together.

I don’t think it has to matter, but it sort of does to me. I do notice that [name]Finn[/name] is much shorter than [name]Sebastien[/name], even though I think stylistically they match. I would wonder if [name]Finn[/name] had a full name. I find it less noticeable in larger sets. I’m having similar trouble thinking of names to go with my [name]Gwendolyn[/name] for future siblings. She has a long full name but we use [name]Gwen[/name] a lot. It still seems odd to me to pair it with something like [name]Maya[/name] which is short and has no nickname. I don’t find it matters as much with siblings of different genders though - I don’t think I would notice a [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Gwendolyn[/name] or [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Sebastien[/name] as much.

i had to deal with this because i named my first daughter [name]Tess[/name]. names i like are either one syllable like [name]Elle[/name] or really long like [name]Adelaide[/name]. i decided i didnt want to limit myself to all one syllable so im going with [name]Adelaide[/name]. their nn bring them together with [name]Tessie[/name] and [name]Addie[/name]. future kids probably will be lengthy just because i like more of them than shorter names. each preg/child is so different im more concerned with flow…how easily it rolls off the tongue when you have to say all their names together alot and quickly!!

i had to deal with this because i named my first daughter [name]Tess[/name]. names i like are either one syllable like [name]Elle[/name] or really long like [name]Adelaide[/name]. i decided i didnt want to limit myself to all one syllable so im going with [name]Adelaide[/name]. their nn bring them together with [name]Tessie[/name] and [name]Addie[/name]. future kids probably will be lengthy just because i like more of them than shorter names. each preg/child is so different im more concerned with flow…how easily it rolls off the tongue when you have to say all their names together alot and quickly!!

Well, to me it matters. My son is [name]Dashiell[/name] but he is almost always [name]Dash[/name]. I love a lot of one syllable boys names that I don’t really love the longer versions for. [name]Finn[/name] is one of my favorite names but [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] just bothers me, so I’d have to use a longer version. And there are lots of others like that. So I sometimes wish I had just named him [name]Dash[/name]…

Anyway, I don’t think it matters for everyone, just for me :smiley: