Sibyl

In the past month I have started watching Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] along with reading The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] by [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u] and with both of these having a character with the name [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f], it’s starting to grow on me. It’s so different than most of the names I like but I adore how sweet and unique it sounds especially with the ‘el’ ending. What are your thoughts?

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]/Sybil a lot. I had never heard the name before Downton, but the show made it seem quite appealing as a name with such as strong, yet sweet character. I would love to see it used on a girl today! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] !

1 Like

I think it is so sweet!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]/Sibyl, charming name with a great meaning

1 Like

Love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. Look up [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Ludington ([name_m]Paul[/name_m] [name_u]Revere[/name_u] wishes he could be her). Drunk history also did an episode about her.

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]/Sybil! It feels ready for revival, and is sweet, bright, and smart. The character from Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] is also a great namesake, as well as (like @PRSing said) [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Ludington.

1 Like

Always had a soft spot for [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]

1 Like

Sibyl was my very favorite name when I first joined Nameberry 7 years ago. :upside_down_face: I still like it a lot and prefer this spelling to [name_f]Sybil[/name_f].

2 Likes

Sybil is quirky and bright

1 Like

I love [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]/Sibyl because of Downton. I actually prefer the [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] spelling partly in honour of the character, and because I like how it looks better. I think [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]’s a really bright, strong, positive sounding name in need of a revival.

2 Likes

I love it! I prefer it spelt as [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] personally - seems more ‘balanced’ on the page like that - but that’s just me! I knew it before Downton but maybe it’s just more common in [name_m]Britain[/name_m] than elsewhere. I quite like other, similar-sounding ‘guilty pleasure’ old names like [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] as well.

Downton has such a wealth of good names - [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Freda[/name_f]… the list goes on!

2 Likes

I ADORE [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]/Sybil ! It sounds so elegant and sweet, yet in a slightly unusual and punchy way. I used to strongly prefer [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] because it does look more balanced, but I am now being drawn to [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] as it feels more quirky.

Amazing name.

1 Like