Sidney - girl or boy?

I’ve been browsing the birth announcement section on here and discovered a little boy who has just been named [name]Sidney[/name]. Have to say that I love the name for a boy. Here comes the question: would you assume [name]Sidney[/name] was a boy or a girl? What about the full name [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] Ackers? [name]Evelyn[/name] is non-negotiable as middle name: a family name (see my previous post for explanation!).

Thanks, [name]Lillian[/name] :slight_smile:

With the middle name [name]Evelyn[/name] (also my middle name!) a girl definitely.

[name]Sidney[/name] is the usual male spelling of the name while [name]Sydney[/name] is the female version. With just [name]Sidney[/name], I would guess boy but with [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] I would say girl. Since only family and close friends know the mn and you would only write [name]Evelyn[/name] on official forms, it shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. [name]Sidney[/name] Ackers would be the name your son will be known by and it sounds ok.

Oh how I love [name]Sidney[/name] on a boy! But middles like [name]Evelyn[/name] or [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Whitney[/name], [name]Allison[/name], ect are going to pull it over to the femme side.

[name]Evelyn[/name] is non negotiable? [name]How[/name] about [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Michael[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] to break it up? [name]Michael[/name] is just an example of a traditionally masculine name.

Boy! Boy! Boy!

Especially with the nick name [name]Sid[/name]. Boy. :slight_smile:

If I just saw [name]Sidney[/name] Ackers then I would say boy but if I saw [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] then I’d say girl.

[name]Sidney[/name] is gorgeous for a boy!

I love [name]Sidney[/name] for a boy, but I’d assume that [name]Sidney[/name] was a girl, and I’d be shocked to see a male [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]. As much as I like [name]Sidney[/name] for a boy, I don’t think you can use it with the middle name [name]Evelyn[/name]. I think it needs a more obviously masculine middle.

As a side note, [name]Orlando[/name] Bloom’s son [name]Flynn[/name] was named after an [name]Evelyn[/name], and I think that works, so it’s something to consider if you’re open to a sound-alike.

Without seeing the spelling, I would assume that it’s a girl only because I have been hearing it on girls a lot lately. My 4 year old has a [name]Sydney[/name] in her preschool class, her dance class and her gymnastics class! With that said, like [name]Mischa[/name] said, if I saw the spelling [name]Sidney[/name], that would make me think it’s a boy. I love the name for both boys and girls. It’s definitely my favorite place name.

[name]Sidney[/name] for a boy. The very similar, but feminine, [name]Sidonie[/name] for a girl.

To me, [name]Sidney[/name] is a boy and [name]Sydney[/name] is a girl, maybe because [name]Sid[/name] is more common as a nickname for a boy? My grandfather was [name]Sidney[/name], and there’s [name]Sid[/name] the [name]Science[/name] Kid…

I like [name]Sydney[/name] for a girl better than [name]Sidney[/name] for either anyway. But with [name]Evelyn[/name] in the middle, i’d skew towards female no matter how you spelled it, since it’s the type of surnamey thing that’s popular for girls now anyway. It will come across like [name]Sawyer[/name] or [name]Sloane[/name], especially with a (now) feminine middle.

With the spelling [name]Sidney[/name] I would assume boy and with [name]Sydney[/name] I would assume girl. [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] is a nice name and I love it for a boy.

I like [name]Sidney[/name] for a boy a LOT and I keep hoping someone will bring it back. It has literary precedents in [name]Sidney[/name] Carton from Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities and as the promising hero of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s last, unfinished work Sanditon, [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Parker[/name]. Unfortunately, if I heard it, I would assume it was a girl, but when I realized it was a boy, I would be thrilled. [name]Evelyn[/name], however, is firmly female for me.

I’ve only met one [name]Sidney[/name]- a boy. I also think of [name]Sidney[/name] Poitier

I prefer [name]Sidney[/name] on a boy, but I’ve only known a female [name]Sidney[/name]. If I saw the name [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name], I would feel certain that it was a girl and would be shocked (and feel a bit of pity) to find out it was a boy.

Thanks for your opinions. Was wondering if too feminine even though technically both names unisex! Think will go back to step one and see what else we can come up with! Thankyou again, L

[name]Sidney[/name]: Boy
[name]Sydney[/name]: Girl

[name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]: No question, girl!

With either spelling, I’ve never met a [name]Sydney[/name] under 20 who wasn’t a girl and I’ve never met a [name]Sidney[/name] over 40 who wasn’t a man.
That being said, just hearing the name for a baby today I would assume girl and just think the parents had changed the spelling if it was with an i.
Also, [name]Sid[/name] is a very unpleasant nn imo, not only because it reminds me of the bully in [name]Toy[/name] [name]Story[/name]

[name]Sidney[/name] is a boy’s name to me. And a great one at that.

It seems like the use of [name]Sydney[/name] for girls is a somewhat modern thing. I don’t like the name for a girl, regardless of the spelling.

I would say [name]Sidney[/name] is unisex, but leaning towards the boys, and [name]Sydney[/name] is a girl. However, with the name [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name], I would assume it was a girl, so I’d be very surprised (and not necessarily in a bad way) to find out it was a boy. :slight_smile: