Sidney - girl or boy?

[name]Sidney[/name] is all boy. [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] has a definite masculine feel to me, as [name]Evelyn[/name] was used as a boys name in the past, but I may be in the minority in that opinion. I also think of [name]Sidney[/name] Poitier.

While [name]Sidney[/name] is the boy spelling and [name]Sydney[/name] is more the girl’s spelling, any [name]Sidney[/name]/[name]Sydney[/name] I saw, I would assume it was a girl just because it’s so much more popular for girls. I don’t like it on a boy, [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] is all girl to me as well.

I generally see [name]Sidney[/name] as a boy and [name]Sydney[/name] as a girl. My first thought when hearing it before seeing it written is girl, though, because all of the [name]Sydney[/name]'s I’ve known are female. When [name]Evelyn[/name] is added as a mn, I would definitely think female no matter how the fn was spelled. I agree that a more masculine mn should be added as a second mn if you’re worried about him being mistaken as a her.

Girl. Especially with the middle name [name]Evelyn[/name].

For me, it comes down to the spelling. [name]Sydney[/name] is girl, [name]Sidney[/name] is boy. I’ve known more girl Sydneys than boy Sidneys, but I did meet a young boy [name]Sid[/name] (guess at around aged 4 ish) on the train fairly recently and he really suited the name.

I would lean to the girls if I saw it but also feel like I would need something else to go off of to verify either boy or girl, so basically I’d be clueless.

If I saw [name]Sidney[/name] alone in print, I’d assume boy.

If I just heard it, I’d think “[name]Sydney[/name]” and assume girl. If I saw or heard the combo [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name], I’d assume girl.

[name]Both[/name] [name]Sidney[/name]/ [name]Sydney[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] are girl names to me. So if it a little boy I would at least give the first OR middle name a masculine “only boy” name!