Silly to use more than one flower name?

We are expecting baby #3 and are considering naming her [name]Dahlia[/name]. Our first daughter is named [name]Lily[/name]. Is it silly to use more than one flower name in a family? This is pretty much the only name my husband and I have both liked.

On my list I have: [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Mae[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Beatrix[/name]
On my husband’s list: [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Sasha[/name] and [name]Lana[/name]

Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Wow! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name], and [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] are among my favorite names. :slight_smile:

You said you have three children. Is [name]Lily[/name] your only other daughter? If you have three daughters, with only two having floral names, the third daughter’s name will feel like it doesn’t belong, but if this baby will be your second daughter, and you aren’t averse to a floral theme, why not? I think it’s truly a matter of personal preference.

On the bright side, not everyone will associate [name]Dahlia[/name] with the flower (I was so surprised by this when I recently asked people about the name), so that’s something to keep in mind if you’re still uncertain. (There’s another name, [name]Dalia[/name], that isn’t a floral name.)

I honestly think it comes down to what you think and how you feel. If I met you, and you introduced your little [name]Lily[/name] and Dahila to me, I’d notice their lovely names first, and then think it sweet that they’re your little flowers. :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Mae[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] is the name I plan to use someday (hopefully sooner rather than later!).

Good luck! :slight_smile:

P.S. I think [name]Lana[/name] is destined to encounter pronunciation issues ([name]Lon[/name]-nuh, Lan-uh, [name]Lane[/name]-uh, etc.)…

I just want to suggest another less obvious floral name, [name]Delphine[/name], in case you’re not set on [name]Dahlia[/name]! :slight_smile:

I think they are nice together, I love [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] & [name]Nina[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Jacinta[/name],[name]Jessamine[/name],[name]Lucinda[/name],[name]Imogen[/name],[name]Georgia[/name],[name]Francesca[/name],[name]Harriet[/name],[name]Tabitha[/name],[name]Emmeline[/name]

Thank you. Our #2 is a boy, so there is separation between the two girls. I am doing my own playground test ("[name]Lily[/name], [name]Zach[/name], [name]Dahlia[/name] - time to go home") and it sounds ok. :slight_smile: And, I agree with you about [name]Lana[/name]. I’ll pass that along to my husband.

I don’t think so in this case, most people don’t know that [name]Dahlia[/name] is a flower and so won’t make the connection. [name]Dahlia[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] definitely sound like sisters. [name]Just[/name] out of interest, is [name]Lily[/name]'s full name [name]Lillian[/name]?

Gorgeous names, btw.

[name]Dahlia[/name] is beautiful, and I think it’s fine with [name]Lily[/name]. I don’t associate it with the flower at all.

I don’t think it’s a problem at all - like [name]Jill[/name] I find what matters most on this topic is personal preference, as the ‘theme’ is quite subtle, and that I’d notice how gorgeous the names were before anything! I’ve always had a strong soft spot for [name]Lily[/name], and [name]Dahlia[/name] is one of my favourites, so I definitely think they’re lovely names that compliment each other well.

Saying that, my girls have a completely unintentional flower theme in their names too, granted one is in the middle spot. My DDs are [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Rae[/name] & [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Belle[/name], and not a single person has picked up on it yet! I’m aiming to fit [name]Dahlia[/name] or [name]Violet[/name]/[name]Viola[/name] into my next combo!

Good luck!

I don’t think so. I’m expecting triplets (girls) and I really love the flower theme so we may go with either one, two or maybe three flowery names. I think if they’re subtle, it’s even better. My three elder girls have non-flowery themed names though.

[name]Gracie[/name]

Hello,
I usually lurk, but I thought I’d post another similar alternative to [name]Dahlia[/name]; [name]Talia[/name], it’s pronounced like [name]Dahlia[/name] except with a T. You might (or might not) recognize it from the Italian version (I think; I may not be remembering correctly) of the sleeping beauty fairy tale. One of my college professors had a granddaughter by the name of [name]Talia[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a suggestion. I’ve also heard [name]Malia[/name] pronounced like [name]Dahlia[/name] and [name]Talia[/name] as opposed to the way the Obamas pronounce it with more emphasis on the -lee- syllable.
:slight_smile:
[name]Angie[/name]