similar sounding sibling names

My DH and I have narrowed our list down to basically two names. However, his favorite, everyone has said sounds too similar to our DD name. He doesn’t think this one bit, whereas I can see how it could be similar, but not TOO similar to throw it out.

My question is, would YOU throw out a name because others said it sounded similar to your other kids name? [name]Even[/name] if you loved it?

I think it depends on how many people mentioned it - if a lot have, then they may well be right. Also, it depends on how close - [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Matthew[/name] or [name]Aster[/name] and [name]Asher[/name] are too close, but I think pairs such as [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] could be fine, so long as the nicknames used were significantly different ([name]Lottie[/name] and [name]Cara[/name], as opposed to [name]Carlie[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Cara[/name]/[name]Carrie[/name]).

Perhaps, if you don’t mind telling us the names, us Namberryites could give our views, and possible alternatives if the names really are too similar?

Good luck!

I agree with twinkle. If it seems like a lot of people make that comment, then I would say they are probably way too similar and I would probably drop the name from consideration. The other issue is that if you plan on having any more children, having two with similar names and one without will likely make the one stand out and feel left out. However, in the end, it is really what you want to do.

If you are willing to share the names with us we could give you our thoughts and possibly suggest some names that have the same feel, but are maybe less similar.

The names are:

[name]Lilia[/name] (lil-e-ah)
and
[name]Isla[/name] (eye-la)

my hubby doesn’t even understand why people are saying this, because he keeps says "they start with different sounds and end with different sounds. I can see it though…

I think they are kind of similar, but at first I read [name]Lilia[/name] as [name]Lila[/name], which is definitely rhyming with [name]Isla[/name]. I have two aunts who are twins, [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Lyla[/name], so I kind of think they are twinsy cute, but I also wouldn’t say they are awkwardly similar, like a [name]Nate[/name] and [name]Kate[/name], or [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Isla[/name], they are more like a [name]Karen[/name] and [name]Kathy[/name] - sisters I knew in my neighborhood (even moreso, [name]Karen[/name] is derived from [name]Katherine[/name], so they essentially have the same name).

[name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] is kind of too close for me, but I don’t think it’s necessarily too close in an objective sense. If [name]Lilia[/name] were [name]Lilian[/name], I could see [name]Isla[/name] as fairly distinctive enough, still not for me, but on a scale of [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] to [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Zenobia[/name] (random), it’s closer to the first one, but a lot better. [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] would be too similar (I guess not worse than my aunts), but the spelling is too similar. [name]Lyla[/name], or [name]Isla[/name] is distinct, [name]Isla[/name] by far more, because it doesn’t also start with an L and there’s an S in it. [name]Ileana[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] might be a better comparison - those seem very similar but different enough; I think [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] is ok, if that’s what you love, I can’t see a good reason to try and prevent it.

I actually don’t think these names are too close. I can see how they are very similar - in style, feel, and sound, but they are also very different. It’s hardly like they’re two variations of the same name. Of course, it might depend on what you call [name]Lilia[/name] - [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are clearly distinct; [name]Lia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name], not so much.
In my opinion, if you love [name]Isla[/name], it’s fair game and [name]Lilia[/name] does not automatically rule out [name]Isla[/name], the way it rules out [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lilian[/name], [name]Leila[/name], [name]Lola[/name], or [name]Lila[/name]. ([name]Lila[/name] and [name]Isla[/name], of course, is another example of too close).
On the other hand, saying “[name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]” is bit of a tongue-twister.
[name]Lilia[/name] is a beautiful name, and if you’re still open to suggestions, some others I could see with it (which remind me is [name]Isla[/name]) are:
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Perla[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Simona[/name]

Yes! That’s what I’m getting at I supposed…saying them together is a tongue twister…maybe that would be a better way to describe it to my husband.

; )

Yep! That was my issue when I saw the names on your other thread. I imagined calling [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] to dinner and became tongue-tied. :slight_smile:

I do think that [name]Isla[/name] is a beautiful name, though!

Good luck!

I don’t think they are too close, but yes - together a toungue twister.

But if you really love the name, then go for it. You’ll figure out the best way to say them together!

Good luck!

Yeah, together, [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] is a real chore on the tongue!

Hmmm…could you say [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Lil[/name]?

… or [name]Lia[/name]?

we do usually call her “[name]Lil[/name]” or “Lils” at home…so I guess that could work out better.

I had the same problem naming my last child. I fell in love with the name [name]Rhys[/name] the second I saw it…however I also have a son named [name]Bryce[/name]. Everyone kept saying that the two names were too similar in sound and to go with something else. Needless to say I ended up going with the name [name]Rhys[/name] anyways, and I’m glad I did.

I’m going to have to put in a vote for saying they’re too similar–they both end in the same vowel, and neither has any consonants other than L. There really doesn’t seem to be enough to make one name totally distinct from the other.

They are similar but I think they still work well together, and if you really like the name I don’t think it should prevent you from using it.

We named our daughter [name]Scarlett[/name] without ever thinking about how similar the sounds in her name were to [name]Skylar[/name], her older sister (my stepdaughter, doesn’t live with us full-time.) People who know us all well get their names confused a lot. But you know what, once you have more than one, you’re bound to do this no matter how distinctive the names are. My mom called me [name]Amanda[/name] tons of time, and my name is [name]Megan[/name]. It’s just one of those things. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I think [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] is a tough one, because like someone said, [name]Lilia[/name] may be read as [name]Lila/name, and then you’d have “[name]Lilah[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]” which would be strange.
Normally, I don’t think similar sounding names are an issue. For example, I have a daughter named [name]Clare[/name] and I really liked [name]Caroline[/name] for my third daughter (since named [name]Tess[/name]). Everyone told me [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Clare[/name] sounded too much alike. People did the same with my daughter [name]Ellie[/name] and another possiblity we had for my 3rd and were actually THIS close to using, [name]Leah[/name]. I guess I can see where they’re coming from with [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Clare[/name], and [name]Ellie[/name] and [name]Leah[/name], but again, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. [name]Just[/name] a personal opinion! Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I do not think they’re too similiar.

Perhaps spell it [name]Lillia[/name]? I know there is an anime series with that spelling, lol! :slight_smile:

We’re set to have a Mathijs and [name]Mathilde[/name]… so maybe I’m not the best of judges, ha!

I don’t think they are too close. Similar yes, but both names are on my favorite list and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them together.

Good luck!

Yes, for me too. I could see myself accidentally saying [name]Lyla[/name] & [name]Isla[/name].

This happened to my sister and I a lot when we were little…and usually by our own mother! We are [name]Anne[/name] ([name]Annie[/name]) and [name]Dana[/name] (or [name]Annie[/name] and [name]Dana[/name]) We would usually get stuff like [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Dana[/name], [name]Dani[/name] and [name]Annie[/name], [name]Dan[/name] and [name]Anne[/name], etc. … and I don’t think our names are even that much alike!

If they were my children-I would butcher their names constantly. I think it would be more of a problem as home than out in the world. Could you change the spelling/pronunciation a bit to avoid this?