Simon or Tobias?

[name]Hi[/name] berries,
It’s been over a month since I last posted, and [name]Andrew[/name] and I have put that time to good use, discussing names practically 24/7. When I last posted, our boys’ list was long and all over the place. But now, we’ve narrowed it down to (what I think are) our top two - [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name].

If you remember, we’re Americans living in [name]London[/name] and our son, [name]Oliver[/name], came as a bit of a surprise. Overwhelmed by our move and impending parenthood, we didn’t think much about names and had absolutely no idea how popular [name]Oliver[/name] is here and in the US. When we found out we were expecting again, we had hoped to find a name that wasn’t too popular in the UK or the US (we plan to move back in a few years), but that seems to be a very difficult task. So instead of settling for a name we don’t love just because it’s unpopular, we’ve elected to ignore UK popularity given that we will be moving back to the US in a few years. And that’s certainly made finding names we love a whole lot easier.

So with popularity aside, which do you prefer?

[name]Simon[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name] ([name]Toby[/name])

• [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Simon[/name]- or -[name]Oliver[/name] ([name]Ollie[/name]) and [name]Tobias[/name] ([name]Toby[/name])-

Thanks in advance!

P.S. A girl will be either [name]Beatrice[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name].

I actually really like both options, but I’ll vote for [name]Simon[/name]. As for the girl names mentioned I really love [name]Beatrice[/name] the best.

I really like [name]Simon[/name]; it sounds smart.

I live in the UK and I can’t imagine anyone ever used [name]Simon[/name] here nowadays. It’s very much a middle aged man’s name more than anything and I just don’t like the sound of it. Having said that it isn’t popular and actually fits well with [name]Oliver[/name].

Howver, I adore the name [name]Tobias[/name] - and I think [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Toby[/name]/[name]Tobias[/name] would be lovely. I also think the girls names [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] would fit better with [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name] than with [name]Simon[/name].

I vote [name]Simon[/name] it is one of my faveorites!!

I adore [name]Tobias[/name], nn [name]Toby[/name]! [name]Tobiah[/name] is my favorite way to get to [name]Toby[/name] though.

I quite love both names but [name]Tobias[/name] wins by a nose. If you have three boys [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Tobias[/name], and [name]Simon[/name] would be quite the set!
I also love [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] both but [name]Louisa[/name] gets my vote by a nose again.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, ladies!

I have to agree with jesba and go with [name]Tobias[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name]. They’re fabulous.

I really like them both, but as you can see [name]Tobias[/name] is the top boy’s name on my [name]Dream[/name] List! So mine is a vote for [name]Tobias[/name]. [name]Tobias[/name] has everything going for it–familiar but not too popular, solid masculine sound, the cute and versatile nickname [name]Toby[/name], and the meaning “God is good!”
[name]Simon[/name] is wonderful, too; I had it on my short list for a while, and it’s still on my long list. But right now I just love [name]Tobias[/name].
Congratulations and best wishes!

I really like [name]Simon[/name]!

[name]Simon[/name] – I know a number of Simons - elegant name

I vote for [name]Simon[/name], but of course, I’m biased - I’m due to deliver a little [name]Simon[/name] any day now!

[name]Simon[/name], please! I’ve always had a soft spot for it. It is just so adorkable.