Simple name for a beach babe & adventurer!?

hey everyone, my first time posting so hopefully I’m doing this all correctly! hoping to start a family soon, I’m a total name nerd but cannot decide on girls name if a daughter ever arrived… Would love to hear your suggestions!:blush:

So the kind of girl we hope we’ll be naming would be easygoing, fun & outdoorsy , she’ll surf, swim & hike, travel a lot when she grows up :sunglasses::ocean::airplane::sunny: [name_f]Sassy[/name_f] beach babe and adventurer, but a trad home girl at heart, she’d be more of a [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] or [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (but wow those names will seem cool on her!:crossed_fingers:) than an [name_f]Océane[/name_f] or Zaphira.

We’re Welsh/Cornish origin, live on the coast and LOVE the ocean, so a subtle ocean meaning or Cornish origin would be nice, but I don’t have my heart set on it. Also we have Spanish and Swedish relatives so I’d really like it to be easily pronounceable in other cultures!! [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] could work but that’s almost too common where we live, although it’s unusual in the rest of the world. Could go unusual tho in the middle spot, [name_f]Dwynwen[/name_f] or Taliesin…?

really want a simple first name tho that’s easy to spell and pronounce, but also so she doesn’t have a ton of other people with the same name. I used to love [name_f]Maren[/name_f], pronounced MA-ruhn, but there’s too much variation on spelling and pronunciation , people would get it wrong all the time!

So far my usable list is: [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Bethan[/name_f], [name_f]Briallen[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_f]Bonita[/name_f]

MN possibles… [name_u]Greer[/name_u], [name_u]Faine[/name_u], [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_u]Fenn[/name_u], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_u]Wynn[/name_u]

Brother names would be (in order of preference) [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Drew[/name_u] or [name_u]Brett[/name_u].

any thoughts or suggestions?? am I being too fussy?!

5 Likes

How about [name_f]Merryn[/name_f]? It’s a Cornish name possibly related to the Welsh Meirion, from Marianus “ocean”.

Very similar to names like [name_f]Maren[/name_f] and [name_f]Megan[/name_f] but more clear on pronunciation.

Unusual and cool, but with a warm, homespun feel (love that cheerful [name_u]Merry[/name_u] nickname!)

I love [name_f]Merryn[/name_f] :heart: Congratulations and good luck!

Yes! that could definitely work. love that warm feel, don’t want to go too cool / sassy

I love this suggestion

What about Cordelia?

thanks!:blush: hmm I feel like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is maybe too unusual? Also I’d love it to have a short version , e.g. [name_u]Merry[/name_u] or even [name_f]Ryn[/name_f] (or [name_u]Ren[/name_u] if we went with Maren), but nothing jumps out as an obvious NN for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]

The first name that came to my mind was [name_f]Adriana[/name_f] because of the Adriatic [name_u]Sea[/name_u]. I don’t know if it’s common in your area, but here in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] it’s not (but it’s not too unusual either). It has cool nicknames too: [name_u]Ari[/name_u] or [name_f]Ana[/name_f].

Second thought was [name_f]Mira[/name_f], which has multiple beautiful meanings, including [name_u]Ocean[/name_u]. It’s close to [name_f]Maren[/name_f] and more straightforward regarding spelling.

Finally, there’s [name_f]Talia[/name_f] (meaning by the water).

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find

Ooh I love [name_f]Bethan[/name_f], [name_f]Alana[/name_f] & [name_f]Megan[/name_f] from your list! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] (of the sea) was my first thought, as it’s a bit classic leaning but still uncommon without being too different. Also thought of [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (sea circle), [name_f]Maya[/name_f] (water), [name_f]Marissa[/name_f] (of the sea) and [name_f]Kendra[/name_f] (water baby)! :heartpulse:

1 Like

[name_f]Dwynwen[/name_f] as a middle would be dreamy!!

[name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_f]Bethan[/name_f] and [name_f]Alana[/name_f] are gorgeous!!

A couple of suggestions:

[name_f]Kerensa[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]

Really liking some of the variations on [name_f]Maren[/name_f], thanks guys as I was brain blocked on that but couldn’t seem to get past that name, I really liked it!

@Camelia no I’ve never heard of [name_f]Adriana[/name_f]! but I agree it has really nice connotations. it’s a real adventurer/traveler name, but I’m definitely leaning towards more classic/“home girl” names just with that chilled vibe too… [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is definitely an option though, nice modern spin on trad [name_f]Myra[/name_f]

@leafsgirl44 @Greyblue [name_f]Marina[/name_f] and [name_u]Marian[/name_u] also I’m really thinking about now, thanks!

2 Likes

We already have a friend with [name_f]Kerensa[/name_f] so I don’t want to get too close to that…

[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] and [name_f]Alana[/name_f] [name_m]Blanchard[/name_m] are almost heroines for girls round here in our surf mad community! so I think maybe that’s where those names came to mind from

Some combos going thru my head…
[name_f]Alana[/name_f] [name_f]Dwynwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethan[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Faine[/name_u]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u] [name_u]Wynn[/name_u]
[name_f]Bonita[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Merryn[/name_f] [name_u]Greer[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Adwen[/name_f]

1 Like

I love this aesthetic that your painting for your daughters name so gorgeous :ocean::sunny:

So my immediate thought was Marina she feels similar to the names you’ve been pondering on with that strong ‘m’ sound like Margot, Maria & Megan but also needs in the ‘a’ sound like Bonita & Alana. The name also means ‘of the sea’ so definitely suits your aesthetic. I would be tempted to use in the middle name slot Blythe or Felicity as then the name would loosely translate as ‘happiness from the sea’ which is gorgeous.

I think looking at names with meaning surrounding the sea would be great for you guys!

Here are some suggestions

Guinevere ~ white wave
Cordelia ~ daughter of the sea
Kaia ~ sea
Maire ~ drop of the sea
Mariana ~ Drop the sea
Marnie ~ of the sea
Morwenna ~ waves of the sea
Rosemary ~ dew of the sea
Miriam ~ drop of the sea
Marianne ~ drop of the sea

From this selection I absolutely love Rosemary, Marianne & Cordelia such gorgeous names.

Middle names I really like Daisy, Faith & May but I think if you go with a sea meaning name a middle name that can translate to something like Marina Blythe ‘happiness from the sea’ would be great.

Middle name ideas

Celeste ~ heavenly ~ heavenly sea
Estelle ~ star ~ star of the sea
Esme ~ beloved ~ beloved sea
Amy ~ beloved ~ beloved sea
Dorothy ~ gift ~ gift from the sea
Sofia ~ wisdom ~ wisdom from the sea

Hope these ideas give you from inspirations

Wishing you the best of luck!

@tori101 yes I really like all that you’ve come up with there… I think [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] is really cute but maybe just as a NN but I’m going to store that one up and see if I can find a full name it derives from.

Yes I think this sea & happiness combo would be really nice, I like the name [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] but it seems to have been quite overused among kids I know these days, but as a middle it’s great.

Thanks so much guys :heart:

1 Like

@Sunnyvale I think [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] could work for [name_f]Marina[/name_f] :sparkles::sparkles:

I’ve actually not seen [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] in use wish I did though she’s stunning

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like my ideas good luck with it all

I love your ideas of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Megan[/name_f]. Also like the suggestions of [name_f]Merrin[/name_f] (prefer this spelling) [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Maire[/name_f]. A shorter version of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] could be [name_f]Cora[/name_f] or [name_f]Delia[/name_f].

Would you consider:
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f], [name_f]Morganne[/name_f], [name_f]Morganna[/name_f] meaning is sea born, sea song or sea circle.
[name_f]Mariel[/name_f], [name_f]Marielle[/name_f], [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] meaning drop of the sea.
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u] meaning is unrelated to the sea, but I love name. Means great ruler, great chief.

I like [name_u]Faine[/name_u] and [name_u]Fenn[/name_u] as middle names. Another name I came across is [name_f]Thalassa[/name_f], a Greek name meaning the sea.

Some ideas:

[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Kyler[/name_u]
[name_f]Brynna[/name_f]
[name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorinda[/name_f]
[name_u]Dayle[/name_u]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Sheila[/name_f]
[name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_f]Darla[/name_f]

Came to suggest [name_f]Maren[/name_f] and @katinka beat me to it! [name_f]Merryn[/name_f] is also great!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] absolute favorite from your list would be [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Faine[/name_u]. :heart_eyes:

I think you have a sensational list and you don’t need suggestions, but lists are fun, so I will give you some anyway.

[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
Ann/Anne
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
Arinda
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]
[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]
[name_f]Bettie[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Catharine[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dora[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Evaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_u]Jessie[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
Lurania
[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Marlene[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]Mattie[/name_u]
[name_f]Medora[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
Modie
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Pyper[/name_f]
Rachael/Rachel
[name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rubie[/name_f]
Sallie/Sally
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Thyrza[/name_f]
[name_f]Vada[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]
[name_f]Zelpha[/name_f]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f]

I agree actually! I think this is a great compromise between Maren and Merryn. I know people may still sometime spell it wrong but maybe it’s worth it for a lovely name!

Margot and Merrin is a nice sibset too, if we were blessed with 2 daughters! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Margot Faine doesn’t have that Cornish touch or any relation to the sea, but Margot is a nod to travel & adventure, with Greek and French roots & some great namesakes. And Faine means “joyful”, so if Merrin Blythe roughly means “joy from the sea”, I’ll take Margot Faine as meaning “joy from travel and adventure” ! :blush:

I also really like a lot of the other suggestions you guys have come up with, it’s so hard to decide! But I feel a lot more confident that “the one” will definitely become clear when the time is right :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: Thanks again all

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestion of Merryn!! I also would throw out [name_f]Maia[/name_f] as a suggestion.