Sister for Adelaide Elizabeth?

We are having another little girl and are seriously considering the name [name]Isla[/name]. My main concern is that she will have to correct the pronunciation her whole life. I am also a little concerned that the actress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name] is up-and-coming.

The middle name will most likely be [name]August[/name] - a family name on my husband’s side and my birth month.

Would love to hear your thouhts!

[name]Hi[/name]! I love your daughter’s name. :slight_smile: With [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]'s popularity and the rising popularity of her name (according to Nameberry, [name]Isla[/name] is going to become very popular), I can’t imagine an [name]Isla[/name] having to correct the name’s pronunciation that often.

If you’re not set on [name]Isla[/name], I can better see these names with [name]Adelaide[/name]:

[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] (but not with [name]August[/name] because of the back-to-back As)
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] (but not with [name]August[/name])
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] (close to [name]Isla[/name]'s sound, but I don’t think that [name]Ivy[/name] [name]August[/name] has the best flow…What about [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Augustine[/name]?)
[name]Iris[/name] (but not with [name]August[/name])
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] (but not with [name]August[/name]…Because [name]Louisa[/name] ends with an a and [name]August[/name] begins with one, I have to pause between them when saying the combo out loud)
[name]Lydia[/name] (ditto)
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] (but not with [name]August[/name])
[name]Tabitha[/name] (nn [name]Tibbie[/name], but not with [name]August[/name])
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] (but not with [name]August[/name]…)

Shorter names like [name]Isla[/name]:

[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Lila[/name] (although I can better see the others with [name]Adelaide[/name])
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m less worried about the miss pronunciation of [name]Isla[/name] as i am of its rise in popularity! I also don’t feel like [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] fit well together. I love [name]August[/name] as a mn.

I wouldn’t worry about the pronunciation especially because of the popularity! But [name]Isla[/name] seems like a different style from [name]Adelaide[/name] to me. Are you looking for other suggestions? I love the mn [name]August[/name]! - actually there’s another thread somewhere about using first name [name]Augusta[/name] and I think that’s adorable too, and cute with [name]Adelaide[/name] if you don’t mind the two A’s.

[name]Adelaide[/name] and
[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]August[/name]

Good luck!

I love a lot of the names that have been suggested, but many of them end with an ‘a’, and with the mn [name]August[/name], it doesn’t flow as well. Here are some other names I love with [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]August[/name].

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]August[/name] (or [name]Augusta[/name])
[name]Georgiana[/name]/[name]Georgina[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] (doesn’t go with [name]August[/name])
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Julianne[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]August[/name]** (really like this one :))

These names I think are more like [name]Isla[/name]'s style.

[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Norah[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Bonnie[/name]
[name]Joya[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

WDYT?

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]August[/name]!

I love the suggestions of [name]Penelope[/name] [name]August[/name]! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great input!

Is there anyone out there who actually likes [name]Isla[/name] [name]August[/name] as a name?

I love the names [name]Isla[/name] and [name]August[/name], what lovely choices! I do think it doesn’t flow all that well with the two As together and two S sounds. Maybe you could try it with an extra middle name to break up the two As? For example-

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Grace[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Rae[/name] [name]August[/name]

You could also hyphenate to [name]Isla[/name]-[name]Rose[/name], [name]Isla[/name]-[name]Grace[/name] etc. if you prefer.

But you are right- it is getting more popular. [name]How[/name] about these alternatives-

Isola (somehow Isola [name]August[/name] flows better to me!)
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Iona[/name] (also the name of a Scottish island)
[name]Illia[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Caja[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
Azra

I do love [name]August[/name]/ [name]Augusta[/name] as a first name- with nn [name]Gus[/name]/ [name]Gussy[/name] as well. Good luck.

I love both [name]Isla[/name] and [name]August[/name], but I do agree that the [name]Isla[/name] [name]August[/name] is a bit difficult to say. In theory it’s gorgeous, but I would get tripped up trying to say it a lot.

What about [name]Isla[/name] [name]Augustine[/name]? I think it actually flows pretty well and flows better than [name]Isla[/name] [name]August[/name]. I think [name]Augustine[/name] also sounds more feminine than [name]August[/name]. Or are you set on [name]August[/name] for the middle, no variations of it?

Our first born is named [name]Adelaide[/name] and our second is named Aila (same pronounciation as [name]Isla[/name]). We obviously liked both and thought they went well enough as a sibset. My husband’s heritage is Finnish, which is partly why we went with the Aila spelling rather than the [name]Isla[/name] spelling. We also liked the meaning better. Either way, I think the sound of the name is very pretty.

bbduesoon: What a strange coincidence! I guess we’ve hit upon a name that [name]Adelaide[/name]-minded people like :slight_smile: Part of the reason [name]Isla[/name] appeals to me is my Scottish heritage. My husband pointed out that with our Norwegian last name, our daughters and yours may truely have similar names. I will take [name]Augustine[/name] into consideration, thank you. Our last name starts with an S, so that has to come into play too.

I do like the names [name]Isla[/name] and [name]August[/name] (for a middle). I suggested some alternatives before but didn’t realize it seemed that I didn’t like [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Isla[/name] [name]August[/name] is not the best flow but it is only because of the back-to-back A’s. I personally don’t mind a slightly awkward flow because of the signficance of the middle name to you. I don’t think that [name]Isla[/name] [name]August[/name] is terribly difficult to say. [name]Isla[/name] [name]Augustine[/name] as suggested is nice as well, with the added benefit that it eliminates the two syllable names back to back. Is your last name also two syllables? If so, that would lead me to use [name]Augustine[/name] but again, because of the family significance, a little awkwardness of flow would be forgiven imo.

I think [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]August[/name] is adorable :slight_smile: