Sister for Elsa Helen

I was wondering if you could help me - I am trying to decide on a name for a sister to my little [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name]. [name]Elsa[/name] was named after both grandmothers, [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Helen[/name]. There are no other family members we wish to name after, but in my family everyone has either a first or middle name starting with an H for the last 5 generations.

Our shortlist names (that we both agree on!) are:

[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Roxana[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Kallan[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]

(I went in two directions, [name]Elsa[/name] is an Old Lady Name and as European name, hence the scanadinavian [name]Kallan[/name] which is think is sooo pretty.)

Middle names I have thought of are:
[name]Hyacinth[/name]
[name]Haven[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Hillary[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name].

[name]Heather[/name], [name]Holly[/name] and [name]Hope[/name] are out as middle names. Any other middle names and name combos gratefully received!

Is [name]Elsa[/name]'s given name [name]Elsa[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name]?

Its [name]Elsa[/name]. We named her after her grandmother [name]Elizabeth[/name] but wanted to differentiate her from her cousin [name]Elizabeth[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Christy[/name],

I really love your first daughter’s name! Your list is wonderful but I fear none of the first names you have listed really posses the same quirky, vintage characteristics that [name]Elsa[/name] does. So I hope this is alright because I would like to throw a few more out there for you to consider.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - This would fulfill the requirement of an H name and would be lovely as a first (or middle name).

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Judith[/name] [name]Hestia[/name]

[name]Lillith[/name] Hesper

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] and…

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Haven[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Honor[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Haven[/name]

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Irene[/name]

• other ideas

[name]Lilly[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Heloise[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Hillary[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Honor[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Heloise[/name]
[name]Lena[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Penelope[/name] - beautiful! I think this goes perfectly with [name]Elsa[/name], and offers so many nn options ([name]Penny[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Nel/name).
[name]Roxana[/name] - another lovely name, with a lot of spunk. The nns [name]Roxie[/name] and [name]Annie[/name] are both great.
[name]Harriet[/name] - like [name]Penelope[/name], I think that this would be perfect with [name]Elsa[/name]. It has good nn options, too - the tomboy [name]Harry[/name] or the sweet [name]Hattie[/name]. However, too H names in a row could sound a little breathy … how about having this in the middle? It matches [name]Helen[/name] nicely in style.
[name]Louisa[/name] - another pretty name which would be great with [name]Elsa[/name].
[name]Lydia[/name] - another one!
[name]Juniper[/name] - a great name, but perhaps a little too out-there for a sister to [name]Elsa[/name].
[name]Kallan[/name] - this feels a little trendy, or surname-y compared to [name]Elsa[/name], in my opinion.
[name]Jacqueline[/name] - nice, but a little dated in my opion.
[name]Darcy[/name] - seems trendy next to [name]Elsa[/name].

[name]Hyacinth[/name] - very unusual and vintage!
[name]Haven[/name] - personally, I don’t think that this has the same class as [name]Elsa[/name] or [name]Helen[/name].
[name]Hadley[/name] - very trendy.
[name]Hillary[/name] - a little dated, in my opinion.
[name]Hannah[/name] - a lovely, simple choice, and I love the fact that it is a palandrome!

My choice for a first name would be [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name], and possible [name]Roxanna[/name]. For a middle, I think that [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Hyacinth[/name] or [name]Hannah[/name] would be perfection.

Some combinations :
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] Hycainth
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Hannah[/name].

Good luck!

If you are into Scandinavian names, how about [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Hanne[/name]? A beautiful H name with Scandinavian spelling that is easy to say. It matches well with [name]Elsa[/name].

[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Christy[/name],

I really love your first daughter’s name! Your list is wonderful but I fear none of the first names you have listed really posses the same quirky, vintage characteristics that [name]Elsa[/name] does. So I hope this is alright because I would like to throw a few more out there for you to consider.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - This would fulfill the requirement of an H name and would be lovely as a first (or middle name).

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Judith[/name] [name]Hestia[/name]

[name]Lillith[/name] Hesper

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name]

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Hazel[/name][/quote

Thank you for your suggestions - I quite like all of these names for names, especially [name]Ruby[/name], which was my grandmothers name, but unfortunately there is already a little [name]Ruby[/name] in our family! [name]Pheobe[/name], [name]Willa[/name], [name]Judith[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] were all particularly unattractice school mates and my husband dislikes every name with ‘[name]Lil[/name]’ in it. I used to have a pony called [name]Celeste[/name].

I hate it how bad connotations ruin lovely names!

Oh I love [name]Lena[/name]! Unfortunately my husband does not :frowning: that was at the top of my list! [name]Clara[/name] is a good friend of mine, although I love the name.

I REALLY like [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Irene[/name] - going to write that one on my piece of paper…

Amusingly about [name]Sadie[/name], I am Australian and you just can’t have an Australian [name]Sadie[/name] - we have an iconic song everyone knows called ‘[name]Sadie[/name] the Cleaning Lady’!

That is a terriffic idea - it is on my list!

I definately think that [name]Kallan[/name] and [name]Darcy[/name] are the left fielders here, I just dont know if i can give up [name]Kallan[/name]. The problem would be that it doesn seem modern and made up even though it isn’t. I can lose [name]Darcy[/name] because I like it as a boys name if there ever is a boy, after my fist boy who will be [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name], if there ever is a boy!

[name]Hadley[/name] is trendy, but I still like it as a middle name because it means ‘from a field of [name]Heather[/name]’, which is my middle name.

[name]Juniper[/name] is my way of getting to use the nn [name]Juni[/name] without using my aunt’s name [name]June[/name]. I have 7 agressive Irish aunts. I am not using any of their names, as it could spark a war!

in looking up [name]Hanne[/name] I discovered Hanneli which I like even better!

in looking up [name]Hanne[/name] I discovered Hanneli which I like even better![/quote]
…and which my husband just nixed.

boo.

I love the name [name]Elsa[/name] and think a vintage-y sounding name would be flattering. Out of your short list I like [name]Harriet[/name] the best. I also think [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] sound really nice with [name]Elsa[/name]. Good luck!!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]. but my husband hates it :frowning:

I think every single person who wrote gave me something I needed!

I have refined the list, thrown [name]Kallan[/name] in the river, made [name]Darcy[/name] a boy and added [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Irene[/name].

New List

[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Irene[/name]/[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name] [name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]

Can I call a daughter [name]Harriet[/name] if I know that my first son will be [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]?

You could always use [name]Heather[/name] as the middle name … as [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] is named after two people, it might be nice for her sister to have a little bit of the family in her name, too, as well as the H connection. [name]Heather[/name] is a sweet name :slight_smile:

Haha, that is why I am always so worried about using family names - DH and I are both from large, close extended families, and I always worry that if we honour one aunt, the other ten might be offended!

I do love [name]Juniper[/name] (we considered it as a middle for one of our twin girls, and I was loathe not to use it; it is still on our list, and I hope to sneak it in there one day) and the nn [name]Juni[/name] is sweet, but I still think [name]Juniper[/name] does not totally fit with [name]Elsa[/name]. That said, loving both names is more important than them being in the same style, and [name]Juni[/name] does fit with [name]Elsa[/name], so if you were predominantly calling her that they would be good together.

Sorry, I changed my name because I realised there was another [name]Christy[/name] and I am now locked out.

New List:

[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Irene[/name]/[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name] [name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]

Much less daunting!

I also just saw that you like Scandinavian names…did I read that right? Our first was born in [name]Sweden[/name] (my husband is Swedish) and we named her [name]Linnea[/name]. Some Swedish names I think sound nice with [name]Elsa[/name] are [name]Linnea[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Ester[/name], [name]Siri[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name].

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] - two beautiful names, which match [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] in style perfectly, and have brilliant flow.
[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] - [name]Roxana[/name] is lovely, too. I slightly prefer the flow of [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Hazel[/name], but both are brilliant names.
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Irene[/name]/[name]Mary[/name] - both of these feel a little hard to say, but I do love [name]Harriet[/name].
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name] - pretty names, and excellent flow.
[name]Juniper[/name] [name]Hadley[/name] - my previous comments about [name]Juniper[/name] stand, but I do adore it. If it is your favourite, though, don’t let the differing styles stop you - however I think it should be paired with a middle which matches [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] in style, at the least. [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] are a bit woodland-overload, but how about [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]? Beautiful, and eliminates the problem of [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] having the same root, as it is in the middle.
[name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] - nice, but not as stunning as some of your other options, in my opinion, and it feels 70s where [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Helen[/name] feels 20s to me.

[name]Harriet[/name] is a beautiful name, but if you really love [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name], and you plan to have more children, I would personally avoid using it. Although, I am not sure how many non-name nerds would know that [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] have the same root. You could do a survey of friends and family, and see how many know.

My vote goes to [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Hazel[/name], with [name]Roxana[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] in second place.

Good luck!