Sister for Fiona - Beatrix, Eloise, Vivian, Maeve or ?

We’re expecting our second little girl in about 8 weeks… and can’t decide on a name! Our 2 year old’s name is [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Helen[/name] ([name]Helen[/name] was my maternal grandmother’s name) and our last name is very Irish - starts with O’.

We like older names, unusual without being too out there. My husband doesn’t like gender-neutral names. I’m not a nickname person - I tend to use people’s full first names, but realize that others will use nicknames so want to think something out that as well).

We’re torn between another Celtic-type name that would go well with our last name (like [name]Maeve[/name]) or giving up on that and selecting a different name all together. Middle name will likely be [name]Patricia[/name] in honor of my Aunt who passed away the day after we found out we were expecting this little one.

Would love your opinons on the following and also other suggestions!

[name]Beatrix[/name] (nn [name]Bea[/name])
[name]Eloise[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name])
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]

Other that I like that hubby isn’t sure about:
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Elora[/name]

Thanks!!

Well, I have a [name]Maeve[/name], so that’s my vote! Another suggestion is [name]Mira[/name] (could also spell [name]Meara[/name] for your Celtic connections). My name is [name]Erin[/name] and I have an O’… last name as well and I get tonnes of complements on it. I know some consider [name]Erin[/name] to be dated (I was born in the '70s) but it is coming back onto the scene. It is particularly growing in [name]Scotland[/name], and perhaps [name]Ireland[/name]? But I’m not overly certain, since I’m Canadian.

Good luck! Also, [name]Beatrix[/name] is one of my favourites, and I love [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Elora[/name]. You have great taste!

[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] is fantastic! [name]Maeve[/name] seems like the ‘obvious’ choice with [name]Fiona[/name], and I think it’s a gorgeous name. I do love [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name], too, but [name]Maeve[/name] ‘clicks’, I think.

[name]Maeve[/name] gets my vote! Perfect with [name]Fiona[/name].

I agree that [name]Maeve[/name] is a perfect complement to [name]Fiona[/name]!

I agree that [name]Maeve[/name] feels perfect with [name]Fiona[/name]. Look at the popularity for your state, though, if you are concerned about your name feeling unusual. I know in MA, where I live, it’s in the 50’s(!) while nationwide it isn’t even in the top 500.

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Helen[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] would be perfect [name]IMO[/name].

Thanks so much everyone! We didn’t have nearly this amount of trouble naming our first daughter :slight_smile:
Great suggestion to look popularity by state - a stat wouldn’t have even thought was available!
We had also tossed around [name]Brigid[/name], but just weren’t mad over it. I did take a moment of pause about both [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Brigid[/name] giving her intials of [name]BO[/name]… do people worry about initials?

Thanks again!

I like all your choices and [name]Maeve[/name] is fine if you want to stay with a Celtic feel. [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name] are on my long list but I can see the appeal of [name]Maeve[/name], although I prefer [name]Mavis[/name].

As for [name]BO[/name], maybe an issue but wouldn’t it be BPO?

I think that [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] goes perfectly with [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Helen[/name]. I also think [name]Beatrix[/name] would work well!

I have a [name]Fiona[/name], too. Personally, I disagree with everyone saying [name]Maeve[/name]. I think [name]Maeve[/name] would be jealous of [name]Fiona[/name], since I think [name]Fiona[/name] is a “pretty girl” name and [name]Maeve[/name]… isn’t :confused: At least to me! I like [name]Eloise[/name], but I love [name]Elora[/name]. It goes perfectly with [name]Fiona[/name]. They’re both melodic sounding, feminine, delicate, and I can hear “[name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Elora[/name] are coming over!” and it just sounds right to me.

My vote is [name]Beatrix[/name]. But I also love [name]Eloise[/name].

Other favourites:

[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Everly[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]

[name]Fiona[/name] & [name]Maeve[/name] is perfect <3
Maeve Patricia is gorgeous! I think that Eloise Patricia would also be lovely :slight_smile:

[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] is fantastic!

Thanks to all! I think we’ve reached an agreement at home… complete with a change in middle name to one that will honor my husband’s grandmother.

I feel such a relief once we can stop debating names back and forth. My mother, of course, doesn’t like our choice, but I expected that. We don’t typically share with family or friends our final choice because I think people are more likely to say that they don’t like a name when the baby hasn’t yet arrived! But my mom needs time for the name to sink in, so I told her today. She didn’t like [name]Fiona[/name] at first either, but loves it now.

@nosamanthas -I think you were spot on :slight_smile: Thanks for your comment!

I prefer [name]Eloise[/name] or [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Brigit[/name] is beautiful as well. I wouldn’t worry about the initials [name]BO[/name], as someone said it would be BPO, and it’s not very obvious/offensive.

ETA: I sort of agree that [name]Maeve[/name] isn’t a “pretty” name like [name]Fiona[/name]. Sorry :frowning: I know I’m in the minority there, as it’s a popular name in this forum.

What did you decide?

I couldn’t help but post, [name]Vivian[/name] [name]James[/name] is my 5 year old and her sister, [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Glenn[/name] was born last year. I wanted to compliment your taste in names!