sister for Isla Hope

Hello All! I am new to nameberry, but am finding it very fun & insightful! I saw today the blog post about all of your top 10 favorite names and saw that [name]Isla[/name] was on a lot of lists, so I thought you might enjoy this naming challenge!

My dd is 9mo old [name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name], and she’s as pretty as a picture, stops traffic sort of baby who has been walking since 8 1/2 months and is just the cat’s pajamas! She’s so much fun, we are working on another!!

If we have a boy next, he’ll be [name]Grant[/name] [name]William[/name] ([name]William[/name] is dh’s mn, and his father’s name - and it’s sort of cool b/c [name]Hope[/name] was my middle name and I gave it to [name]Isla[/name], so he’s going to give [name]William[/name] to [name]Grant[/name].)

We are pretty perplexed though on a girl’s name. So here is our current list, I will * those that I like, but have yet to sell dh on. That doesn’t rule it out in my book though, he didn’t like [name]Isla[/name] at first either!

My current Favorites:

[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]/[name]Marina[/name], possible nn [name]Marni[/name]* - I’m really excited about this one, but dh is being stubborn about it.
[name]Freya[/name]*
[name]Gemma[/name]*
[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]* - dh really hates this one, reminds him of tv psychic, also we have a male sheep named [name]Cleo[/name], but I love it and think it goes great with [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Ester[/name]/[name]Esther[/name]*
[name]Calla[/name]* - dh thinks this is too close to [name]Isla[/name] sound-wise, plus his ex’s ln was callahan so he thinks that’s too close. eye rolling
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Anabel[/name]*
[name]Camille[/name]*
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name] (this is dh’s favorite but I’m not into it, I used to love it but feel it’s too popular and doesn’t go quite right right [name]Isla[/name])

lol, not many names on this list dh DOES like! Well, what do you all think?

I really love the name [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]/[name]Marina[/name], possible nn [name]Marni[/name]-- I really like [name]Marina[/name], but I think some of your other choices go better with [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Freya[/name]-- I’m not personally a fan (it makes me think of something fraying) but it’s a nice name

[name]Gemma[/name]-- This is really nice!

[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]-- I really like [name]Clio[/name], and it does go well with [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]Ester[/name]/[name]Esther[/name]-- I don’t like it at all; it sounds lispy to me

[name]Calla[/name]-- It is really close to [name]Isla[/name], since they both have the -la ending…

[name]Hazel[/name]-- I really like this with [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]Anabel[/name]-- I love it spelled [name]Annabel[/name], and I think it’s really nice with [name]Isla[/name]

[name]Camille[/name]-- This is nice, too

[name]Aster[/name]-- Not really a fan…

[name]Naomi[/name]-- I love this, especially with [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]Eliza[/name]-- It sounds way too similar to [name]Isla[/name]

[name]Audrey[/name]-- This is nice, but I like others on the list better

I love [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Clio[/name], and [name]Hazel[/name]. My favorite would have to be [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Naomi[/name], I think they make a great pair!

Here are some others:

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Grant[/name] [name]William[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name] magic naming by you. Well done.

[name]Aster[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] is nice but not wow.

[name]Camille[/name] is nice but with [name]Isla[/name] there seem to be too many “l’s”.

[name]Marin[/name] is pretty and keeps the sea/island theme.

I would never give a child a name that says No or Nay eg [name]Naomi[/name].

I like [name]Calista[/name] but it will probably be ditched if DH’s ex had this kind of name.

Otherwise

[name]Alicia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Kate[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name] and [name]Isla[/name], not sold on [name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Belle[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Deidre[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name] and [name]Isla[/name], [name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (or [name]Joy[/name] meaning of [name]Caroline[/name])
[name]Miranda[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Cressida[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]

I love your baby girl’s name, and your description of her made me smile. :slight_smile: She’s sounds like such a sweetheart. :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Grant[/name] [name]William[/name] is very handsome, by the way.

From your girls’ names, I think that [name]Camille[/name] really captures [name]Isla[/name]'s exotic-yet-familiar feel.

Some more you may like (and I apologize for not paying closer attention to the previous suggestions):

[name]Aveline[/name] (Irish name)
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Poppy[/name] or [name]Nell[/name])
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]/[name]Marina[/name], possible nn [name]Marni[/name]*: I know a lovely [name]Marin[/name], and think the name works well with [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Freya[/name]*: I unfortunately think of frayed fabric, but I know that a lot of people really love this name.

[name]Gemma[/name]*: I think it’s beautiful and can see it with [name]Isla[/name], too. I wonder if it may be mistaken with [name]Jenna[/name]. Hmm…

[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]* : I love it (and as a nickname for [name]Clementine[/name]), but if you have a sheep named [name]Cleo[/name], I think I’d go with something else.

What about [name]Cora[/name]?

[name]Ester[/name]/[name]Esther[/name]*: I think some of your more exotic names work better with [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Calla[/name]*: I really love this name, but I know I’d personally mix it up with [name]Isla[/name], calling her Cisla (with a hard C) if I were calling them both to dinner.

[name]Hazel[/name]: I love this name so much, I can better see some of your other names with [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Hazel[/name] feels a lot mustier to me than the frillier [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Anabel[/name]* I love the name [name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name], but with only one N, I’d pronounce it [name]Onna[/name]-bel, as opposed to [name]Anna[/name]-bell, which may be what you’re going for.

[name]Camille[/name]*: I think this name is AMAZING, and I love it with [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Aster[/name]: I think it’s beautiful, but I’d personally worry about “a$$” teasing because of the name’s beginning. Also, if you add a D to the end, which I can see kids doing, it sounds like two not very nice words.

[name]Naomi[/name]: I think it’s really pretty, but I can better see some other names, like [name]Camille[/name], with [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Eliza[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] this name, too, but it’s too close to [name]Isla[/name] to me because of the long I.

[name]Audrey[/name]: I think it’s so pretty, but I’m with you! I can better see some of the other names with [name]Audrey[/name].

I really love your list! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

[name]Isla[/name] is too close for [name]Eliza[/name], just my thinking…

I think the best name to go with [name]Isla[/name] is [name]Fiona[/name]! [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Camille[/name] would be pretty! Others I like with [name]Isla[/name] are [name]Blair[/name], [name]Catriona[/name], [name]Greer[/name], [name]Lorna[/name], [name]Mairi[/name] ([name]Mary[/name]), [name]Marnie[/name], and [name]Skye[/name]…

I love the names [name]Cleo[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] together, I think they’re so cute. Hopefully you can convince your husband to use that.
I love [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] together, I think they’re so cute. They’re both classic and pretty.
[name]Maren[/name] was on my favorites for awhile, and I think that [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Maren[/name] go so well together.
I also like [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Anabel[/name] together, although personally I prefer it spelled [name]Annabel[/name].
[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Audrey[/name] would be super cute, but [name]Audrey[/name] is a little too popular for [name]Isla[/name]. Maybe [name]Audra[/name]?
I love and adore the name [name]Eliza[/name], but I think [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] are too similar to use :frowning:

My favorites along with some suggestions:
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Audra[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Maren[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Juliet[/name]

Your daughter sounds adorable - you have my belated congratulations! [name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name] is a lovely name, too.

[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]/[name]Marina[/name], possible nn [name]Marni[/name]* - I think [name]Marina[/name] goes quite well with [name]Isla[/name], and is very pretty.
[name]Freya[/name]* - I adore [name]Freya[/name], and think [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Freya[/name] are just similar enough to make perfect sisters, but not too much so.
[name]Gemma[/name]* - I personally prefer some of your other names, but [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] do make lovely names for sisters.
[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]* - I like this one, but I think some of your other options are better with [name]Isla[/name], personally.
[name]Ester[/name]/[name]Esther[/name]- I adore this one, and think it goes quite well with [name]Isla[/name], despite their having somewhat different feels.
[name]Calla[/name]
- this is quite close in sound to [name]Isla[/name] … not so close that if you both loved it it would be a huge problem, but close enough that I prefer some of your other choices.
[name]Hazel[/name] - pretty, and very nice with [name]Isla[/name].
[name]Anabel[/name]* - I feel this is too long to go with [name]Isla[/name], personally, but it is pretty.
[name]Camille[/name]* - for some reason this doesn’t feel right with [name]Isla[/name] to me.
[name]Aster[/name] - personally, I prefer [name]Esther[/name], especially as it avoids the ‘ass’ teasing. It also seems a little modern to go with [name]Isla[/name], but that is just my opinion.
[name]Naomi[/name] - quite pretty, and it goes reasonably well with [name]Isla[/name], but it’s not as stunning as some of your other options.
[name]Eliza[/name] - I feel that this is really too close to [name]Isla[/name], unfortunately.
[name]Audrey[/name] - it is quite popular but I wouldn’t say it was too popular (although I don’t live in the US). It is such a lovely, classic name, and I think it goes well with [name]Isla[/name].

My favourites would have to be :
[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Freya[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Esther[/name].

Others you may like :
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name].

Have you thought about middle names yet? [name]How[/name] about another virtue name? [name]Faith[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] are very popular at the moment, but there are some other lovely choices out there - [name]Verity[/name] is one of my favourites, and there is also [name]Serena[/name]/[name]Serenity[/name], or, if you wanted to stick to one syllable, I adore [name]Joy[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name].

Good luck!

Dh is pretty set on having a “meaning” mn, his favs are [name]Joy[/name] and [name]Faith[/name] - I personally think its a little too cutesy, but I’m willing to let him have his way on it. I like to pick the first name and then find a mn that goes with it, I don’t understand how people do it the other way around, I think it would make the job of picking a first name a lot trickier.

[quote=“kellihope”]

Dh is pretty set on having a “meaning” mn, his favs are [name]Joy[/name] and [name]Faith[/name] - I personally think its a little too cutesy, but I’m willing to let him have his way on it. I like to pick the first name and then find a mn that goes with it, I don’t understand how people do it the other way around, I think it would make the job of picking a first name a lot trickier.[/quote]

What did you think of [name]Caroline[/name] meaning [name]Joy[/name]?

oh, I missed that I guess. Actually [name]Caroline[/name] was on our list when we were naming [name]Isla[/name]. That might be kind of cute, have her fn be [name]Caroline[/name] then the mn be something else - like the opposite of [name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name] - [name]Joy[/name] something.

[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]/[name]Marina[/name], possible nn [name]Marni[/name]* - This is my absolute favourite with [name]Isla[/name] - I think it’s such a stunning sibset and I love [name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]. I also like [name]Marina[/name], but I don’t think the a ending works with [name]Isla[/name].
[name]Freya[/name]* - I like [name]Freya[/name], but I think it’s a bit similar to [name]Isla[/name] possibly
[name]Gemma[/name]* - same as [name]Freya[/name], although I love the name [name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]* - I agree that it goes nicely with [name]Isla[/name] and I love [name]Cleo[/name] (I think we have the same taste in names, because I love all of yours so far!). But if you already have a current pet (or in your case, a sheep!) I think it’s hard to lose the association.
[name]Ester[/name]/[name]Esther[/name]* - I would use the [name]Esther[/name] spelling. I think it’s a little clunky next to [name]Isla[/name] but that could change soon. I have only met one [name]Esther[/name] and it suited her beautifully.
[name]Calla[/name]* - Associations like that are hard to shake - I wouldn’t be able to use one of my exes’ names or a name I associated with them. I do also think it’s too similar to [name]Isla[/name].
[name]Hazel[/name] - I think [name]Hazel[/name] sounds a bit harsh with [name]Isla[/name].
[name]Anabel[/name]* - I love the name, but something about it isn’t working with [name]Isla[/name] for me.
[name]Camille[/name]* - I love this! I think it works beautifully.
[name]Aster[/name] - I also really like this, apart from the teasing potential. [name]How[/name] about [name]Aspen[/name]? Somehow it seems to invite this a bit less.
[name]Naomi[/name] - I wouldn’t have thought of this, but it actually works really well with [name]Isla[/name] for me.
[name]Eliza[/name] - Again, I love the name, but not with [name]Isla[/name].
[name]Audrey[/name] - I agree with you, it doesn’t quite work sound-wise. But I get the same feeling from [name]Audrey[/name] as I do from [name]Isla[/name].

A few more ideas (sorry for repeats):
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]

By the way, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Grant[/name] with [name]Isla[/name] - it’s just perfect!

i was just rereading the responses and noticed that at least 3 of you suggested [name]Miranda[/name]. . .interesting!

i wish! I love [name]Cora[/name], but dh’s cousin’s baby is named that, and he has a very small family so it’s out.

[quote=“kellihope”]

i wish! I love [name]Cora[/name], but dh’s cousin’s baby is named that, and he has a very small family so it’s out.[/quote]

Really? I love that name, but have yet to meet an actual [name]Cora[/name]. I really love your baby girl’s name, too. :slight_smile:

Take care!

First of all, [name]Isla[/name] [name]Hope[/name] is lovely!

[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]/[name]Marina[/name], possible nn [name]Marni[/name]* - I once met a girl named [name]Marni[/name]. It’s cute, but can’t say I’m crazy about it. [name]Marina[/name] just sounds like, well, a boat marina. [name]Marin[/name] I’ve run into as both a last name and [name]Marin[/name] county in [name]CA[/name] which is huge (not that that means anything). Anywho, I can’t get behind this one.

[name]Freya[/name]* - Pretty. But if you’re dh’s worried about [name]Calla[/name], isn’t this closer sounding to [name]Isla[/name] than the others? They might sound like matchy-matchy twins if you go this route.

[name]Gemma[/name]* - Cute!

[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]* - Objectively, I think it does really suit [name]Isla[/name]. Sadly, though, I have to go with dh. I can’t quite dispel Miss [name]Cleo[/name] from my head.

[name]Ester[/name]/[name]Esther[/name]* - A classic. Though I’m fonder of [name]Hester[/name] myself.

[name]Calla[/name]* - [name]Lovely[/name]!

[name]Hazel[/name] - Pretty and suitable.

[name]Anabel[/name]* - Underused name. I especially like [name]Amabel[/name].

[name]Camille[/name]* - Pretty and refined. A definite match for [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Aster[/name] - Maybe a little too whimsical?

[name]Naomi[/name] - Pretty, but it doesn’t seem as exotic as [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Eliza[/name] - One of my all time favorites! But I think there are others that would match [name]Isla[/name] better.

[name]Audrey[/name] - I agree with you. Too popular. Which is a [name]SHAME[/name] because it’s perfectly strong, feminine and graceful.

HTH!

I’ve sat here thinking about this like the procrastinator I am.

Since so far [name]Camille[/name] is my favorite, let’s start with the Classics:

[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Corinne[/name] ([name]RIN[/name] not REEN)
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Rosalind[/name]

The slightly Exotic:

[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Anais[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Esme[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Isobel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Paloma[/name] - This could fit under nature too.

A touch of the Fanciful:

[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Mirabel[/name]

If you want to match Nature elements:

[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Ceres[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Clover[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] & [name]Violet[/name]