Sister for Isla - Jane or Eilis

We’ve narrowed baby girl’s name down to either [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] (AY-lish) or [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

We’re trying to decide which goes best with older sis [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. We love the combo of one Gaelic name and one classic.

Helpful things to know:

• we live in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], NY
  • pronouncing [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] (AY-lish) like the character in the [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] movie/book, not like EYE-lish as listed on nameberry

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

I would go [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] for two very different reasons.

1. You live in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], and most Americans struggle with Irish names.
  2. If you [name_f]DO[/name_f] run into people who understand Irish phonetics, their instinct may be to pronounce it Eye-lish which is how I would pronounce it. I have lived in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] for several years now (for college) but am originally from Manhattan and know several girls named [name_f]Eilis[/name_f]/[name_f]Eilish[/name_f] who live in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. 3 go by Eye-lish and 1 goes by Ay-lish. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and Eye-lish sound waaaaay too similar, and even though this is not your preferred pronunciation, I can see you running into problems with it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] Ay-lish and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] are a little too close for my taste personally.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: If you want the Ay-lish pronunciation, you could spell the name [name_f]Ailis[/name_f] or [name_f]Ailish[/name_f]. I know two and both pronounce their names as Ay-lish.

Agree 100% with the PP.

Agee with emilyrule97.

I would think about using [name_f]Ailis[/name_f]/[name_f]Ailish[/name_f] but even then they’re close to matchy-twin names, like [name_u]Harper[/name_u] & [name_f]Harlow[/name_f].

Fortunately, both names are gorgeous. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] flows beautifully and is a superb choice. I can see why giving up [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] might just be too hard - it’s so appealing to say - but if matchy twin makes not quite what you’re after, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] would be my pick!

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] is beautiful.

I like both, but [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] gets my vote.

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] gets my vote. To me [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] are too close together. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is lovely and a great match to [name_f]Isla[/name_f].

I concur that [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] are too similar. Would you consider [name_f]Aisling[/name_f]? ([name_u]Ash[/name_u]-ling) [name_f]Aisling[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is beautiful.

Another vote for [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] feel to close in sound for my liking so I would have to go with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as first name. I adore [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and would love to see a little girl with the name!

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f]! [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] sound lovely together and I agree with everyone else, [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] are really close. I did know a little girl a long time ago whose name was [name_f]Eilish[/name_f] (spelled with the h) and pronounced it the way you are planning to, it’s very cute. I think with more difficult pronunciations it’s nice for them to be the middle name as you’re more likely to tell someone your middle name before they ever read it - meaning you can tell them how its correctly pronounced.

I’m not feeling [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. They seem like very different styles and I don’t see them matching well at all. I do agree that [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilish[/name_f] sound too similar to be siblings, but I love that combination much better! If you really love that name I definitely favor [name_f]Eilish[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Perhaps:
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] & [name_f]Capri[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] & Nosara
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] & [name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] & [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] & [name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] & [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

If I had to choose from your list, I would choose the name [name_f]Eilish[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] - it’s beautiful :slight_smile:

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f]. This is quite beautiful and I agree with the pps about [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] being too similar.

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] for sure! [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] is beautiful but its way too close to [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] - it’s more usable in the US, and I think [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] are too similar, especially with the EYE-lish pronunciation

Thanks everyone!

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] as a first name. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], it’s so simple but beautiful. I do think [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] would have trouble with people spelling and pronouncing her name and also think it sounds similar to [name_f]Isla[/name_f].

Whilst I prefer [name_f]Eilis[/name_f], it is much to similar to [name_f]Isla[/name_f]