Sister for James

[name]Hi[/name],

My son, who is almost 3, is named [name]James[/name] [name]Austin[/name]. We are expecting a girl in 3 weeks and I can’t commit to a name!! I just wanted some opinions about the names we are considering. I like strong, classic and original names but want whatever we chose to go with [name]James[/name]. There are some more unusual names that I like (like [name]Marlo[/name]) but I don’t think it sounds as good with [name]James[/name].

Here are the names so far:

[name]Olivia[/name] (although I am hesitant because its become quite popular)
[name]Elle[/name] - [name]Ellie[/name] (not sure because our last name is only one syllable name)
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Kate[/name] (but don’t like katie)
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]

Thanks!

[name]Olivia[/name]: definitely too popular (I’m an older [name]Olivia[/name] and I meet my two-year old counterparts constantly)
[name]Elle[/name] - [name]Ellie[/name]: This is a nn to me, either for [name]Ella[/name] (also very popular) or better yet, [name]Eleanor[/name] (which really works with [name]James[/name])
[name]Charlotte[/name]: A beautiful classic, much like [name]James[/name]!
[name]Kate[/name] (but don’t like katie): I love [name]Kate[/name] and it sounds great with [name]James[/name]. However, someone will inevitably call her [name]Katie[/name] (but you certainly don’t have to!)
[name]Sadie[/name]: cute as a nn for [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this one! Also a nice compliment to [name]James[/name].
[name]Elise[/name]: My least favorite. It’s difficult to say with [name]James[/name].

I’d go with [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Kate[/name], or [name]Lucy[/name].

Good luck!

To me, [name]Kate[/name], [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] are nicknames. Use [name]Katherine[/name] / [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name], classic names that all go well with [name]James[/name], as the given name on the birth certificate, and call your little girl by the nickname.

I like [name]Elise[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] from your list better than [name]Sarah[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name]. I do like [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Olivia[/name] is a great name and I would use it myself but it is SO popular.

Good luck.

Thought of another one - [name]Luciella[/name] and she would be called [name]Lucy[/name].

My grandmother was Lucielle, so it would be sort of a family name.

re: [name]Olivia[/name] - “I am constantly meeting my 2 year old counterparts” That is so funny! Made me laugh. That is exactly what I am worried about, it’s one of my faves but unfortunately its a lot of people’s favorite name too.

Thanks for the comments :slight_smile:

I like [name]Lucy[/name] and I like [name]Sadie[/name]!

What about [name]Marley[/name] or [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]?

Also, prefer [name]Lucy[/name] as given name, although I understand the family connection, I think [name]Luciella[/name]/Lucielle is more … fancy (?) than [name]James[/name]. Think [name]Lucy[/name] works well and is darling!

Also like [name]Katherine[/name], call her [name]Kate[/name]. If you call her [name]Kate[/name] and introduce her as [name]Kate[/name], don’t think she’ll get called [name]Katie[/name]. (I’m the opposite - [name]Katharine[/name], called [name]Katie[/name]. Never been called [name]Kate[/name], so think that’d be okay.)

Good luck!

I, too, think [name]Lucy[/name] would be great with [name]James[/name], in terms of both style and sound. (I second [name]Olive[/name]'s post.)

Good luck! :slight_smile: