Sister for John

Which name sounds better with her brother [name]John[/name]?

[name]Judith[/name]
[name]Mair[/name]”ad

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] both names, but I just can’t pick which one I like better. [name]Both[/name] are family names that have nicknames that I love ([name]Jude[/name] or [name]Judy[/name] for [name]Judith[/name], [name]May[/name] or [name]Mair[/name] for [name]Mair[/name]”ad). I’m reluctant about [name]Judith[/name] because of the double “J” names, but I also get worried about [name]Mair[/name]”ad because of the accent.

What do you guys think?

I like [name]Mair[/name]”ad, nn [name]May[/name] with [name]John[/name]. [name]Judith[/name] is a little too matchy I think. [name]Mair[/name]”ad is accessible but just a little different”I like it alot!

I don’t know how to say the M name and I don’t get a wow vibe with [name]John[/name] and [name]Judith[/name].

My first thought was [name]Elise[/name].

I’m also not quiet sure how to pronounce the M name. I think [name]John[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] make a cute sibset.

[name]Mairead[/name] is cool, but I don’t know how to pronounce it. But you can tell everyone how to pronounce it, plus her nickname could be [name]May[/name]. Since [name]Mairead[/name] is a form of [name]Margaret[/name], her nickname could be [name]Maisie[/name] which I just love. Or [name]Maggie[/name] or [name]Meg[/name].

I would go with [name]Mary[/name].

OOO I like [name]Alice[/name]! That’s a family name too. Adding that to my list, if not as a first name, definitely as a middle name.

I do like to use family names because I was named after an older family member and became very close with her because of the naming. Also it felt cool to have a story behind it. [name]John[/name], though it sounds sort of “plain [name]Jane[/name],” has always been my favourite. [name]Do[/name] you guys think that having such a common name as [name]John[/name] paired with such a unique name as [name]Mairead[/name] will seem strange?

Also, [name]Mairead[/name] is pronounced “muh-raid.” It’s very Irish, and I am as well ! :slight_smile:

I totally agree with Olivegreen! [name]Mairead[/name] is beautiful, classic and underused (at least outside of [name]Ireland[/name]).

Depending on where you are in the world, I do think it might be a little strange to have the exotic [name]Mairead[/name] paired with [name]John[/name]. I love [name]May[/name] with big brother [name]John[/name], though! [name]Judith[/name] I don’t like as much - it seems dusty to me (as opposed to old-fashioned and stylish) and has the matching J.

I think [name]John[/name] is a versatile name that can go with almost anything. When I was young, a lot of dads wanted their sons to be named [name]John[/name] so I’ve heard of [name]John[/name] paired with lots of different sibling names. My cousin is named [name]John[/name]. His father loved that name.
So, to me, [name]John[/name] and [name]Mairead[/name] are great together. I wouldn’t put a unisex or trendy girl’s name with [name]John[/name], but [name]Mairead[/name] is an old Irish name for [name]Margaret[/name] who was a saint just like [name]John[/name]. They work together.