Sister for Kate - she has made up her mind

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there! Our almost 3yo, [name_f]Kate[/name_f] ([name_f]Katherine[/name_f]), will be expecting a sister in a few months. We’ve talked to her about names and handed her a bunch that we were considering. The one she loves is [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. She will say [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is her sister, ask me if she can give [name_f]Mila[/name_f] a kiss (my belly), and that she loves [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I’ve told her “I’m not sure that’s her name!” She will insist it is. Btw, she’s the only one who insisted we were having a girl while everyone around us said boy. She may be onto something!

Some opinions are that [name_f]Mila[/name_f] doesn’t go with [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

Other names we tossed around was [name_f]Emma[/name_f] (I’m not super excited about this one), [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I’m not super in love with any, but [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is probably my first choice if I had to label one.

We don’t like the names:
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]/[name_f]Kara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] sister names need to really “match”? I have a very unique name and I hate it but my sister has a very common name. We don’t match at all… my mom swears we do because we both start and end with K and A.

We loved [name_f]Kate[/name_f] because it’s timeless and classic. Clearly [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is not. All the timeless/classic names are so overused now.

Thoughts and suggestions?? Please help I literally have no names

I think [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is pretty versatile so [name_f]Mila[/name_f] doesn’t clash with it. I also love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. I wouldn’t do [name_f]Emma[/name_f] unless you love it since it’s so popular.

Suggestions of other classic names:

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] are nicely compatible. If you want them to be symmetrical in both having longer given names, you could use [name_f]Mila[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. I am fan of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], but your older daughter’s preference might swing me to [name_f]Mila[/name_f].

Perhaps [name_f]Mia[/name_f]? (Me-a)
It’s a pretty name and it’s like mila.

One option is finding a long form for [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. Some options include: [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f]

Also my name is [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] ([name_f]Katie[/name_f]). Other names on my parents short list were: [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (which you nixed), [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] & [name_f]Annabel[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] together! [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] isn’t bad or anything, but as a set they just don’t feel cohesive to me. [name_f]Mila[/name_f] doesn’t really appeal to me in general although it is pretty.

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] as a full name and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] or [name_f]Mila[/name_f] as a nickname.

Others (and some nickname options)
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] - [name_u]Lou[/name_u]/[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] - [name_u]Lou[/name_u]/[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - [name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Mila[/name_f]/[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] - [name_f]Sally[/name_f]/[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - [name_f]Ella[/name_f]/[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - [name_f]Becca[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

Going to echo once more the suggestion of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] as a full name for the adorable nn [name_f]Mila[/name_f]! [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] definitely mesh- you can have your cake and eat it too :slight_smile:

[name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] sound perfect together.

I just want to point out that your daughter is 3, and therefore will probably have a new favorite name before the baby gets here. I wouldn’t let her pick the name if it’s not what you and your husband want.

[name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] are lovely, but [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mila[/name_f], (as others have suggested) might work better and be more versatile

I agree w others who say that just because your 3 year old is into a name doesn’t mean u have to choose it. For example my 4 year old calls my bump flower biscuit and we will not be using that name. HOWEVER I also think the babies can name themselves. For example w many of my kids I had a clear front runner but when I met the baby a name I liked less on paper just fit her/him better. I think [name_f]Mila[/name_f] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] go great together. I also think your other names are great. I would wait to meet her see what fits. Good luck

I think [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is a lovely match with [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. It’s not quite as classic, no, but both are short, sweet and feminine, so I think they go together very nicely.

Here are a few longer names that could be shortened to [name_f]Mila[/name_f] that I don’t think have been suggested yet: [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], [name_f]Marielle[/name_f]/[name_f]Mariella[/name_f], [name_f]Marilla[/name_f], [name_f]Milena[/name_f], [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Michaela[/name_f], [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], [name_f]Melinda[/name_f], [name_f]Mallory[/name_f], [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], Rosamel

Or you could do a first name/middle name combo so the middle name has the “la” sound rather than the first name, for example: [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f], [name_f]Moira[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] – any of these could easily go by “[name_f]Mila[/name_f]” as a nickname.

Here are some more names that veer towards the classic style of [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kate[/name_f]:

[name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f], [name_f]Audra[/name_f], [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Analise[/name_f]
[name_f]Bea[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f]/[name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Brianne[/name_f]/[name_f]Brianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Eda[/name_f]/[name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f]/[name_f]Eva[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Francine[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriett[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_u]Hillary[/name_u], [name_f]Holly[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Justine[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Leona[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Moira[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]Regina[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Roslyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Sonia[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

Ok I think [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] work best out of the three however I still think [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] work great together! I think it’s definitely still usable.

[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/[name_f]Nora[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] “[name_f]Emma[/name_f]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]/[name_f]Em[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] “Fliss, Flic, Flicka”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] “[name_f]Becky[/name_f]/Beca”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Sally[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] “[name_f]Soph[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] “[name_f]Adele[/name_f]/[name_f]Della[/name_f]/[name_u]Del[/name_u]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] “[name_f]Liv[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] “[name_f]Beth[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] “[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] “[name_f]Annie[/name_f]/[name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Belle[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Louise[/name_f] “[name_u]Lou[/name_u]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] “[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] “[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]/[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] “[name_f]Tess[/name_f]/[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Aubree[/name_f] “[name_f]Bree[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]/[name_f]Elle[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] “[name_f]Mira[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] “[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Janessa[/name_f] “[name_f]Jane[/name_f]/[name_f]Essa[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] “[name_f]Mae[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] “[name_f]Amy[/name_f]/[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] “[name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] “[name_u]Alex[/name_u]/[name_u]Lexi[/name_u]/[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] “[name_f]Rose[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] “[name_f]Ro[/name_f]”
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Zoey[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_f]Kate[/name_f]” and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]/[name_f]Trixie[/name_f]”

I have three sisters and none of our names “match,” depending on what factor you look at. No one has ever noticed it except us. (One has an older name, one has a creatively spelled surname, one has a nickname, one has a creatively spelled old name)

I actually think [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] go well enough together; they are both considered nicknames for longer names, both well-used and familiar, and both have four letters. They manage to not share letters and syllables but still sound sweet together. I say go for it.

This.

Also, [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is often short for [name_f]Milena[/name_f]. The names are from two different cultures, while [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is considered an English classic, I’d consider [name_f]Mila[/name_f] a Slavic classic. It’s just not as well-known in the English-speaking world and may therefore come across as more modern, although it’s not (afaik).

I really don’t think names have to match at all. More importantly, each name has to stand on its own and there’s imo nothing worse than an oppressive name theme where the individual names drown in matchiness. So please, don’t pick a name like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], just because that’s maybe a more expected combo with [name_f]Kate[/name_f] than [name_f]Mila[/name_f].

Guys, sorry! I never even knew anyone responded but I thought I put notifications on!!!

All good advice. In terms of not letting [name_f]Kate[/name_f] pick out a name, I can’t help but feel its so sweet that she loves a name. After all, this has been my little bff for almost 3 years. It just tugs my heart strings. And, the fact she believed it was a girl from the start when no one else did… I really do feel like she’s onto something!

She somewhat likes [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] but she asks for [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I think we will either go with [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Mila[/name_f] or [name_f]Mila[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and I guess we will have to meet her. I’m still learning more towards [name_f]Mila[/name_f].

One factor in favor of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is that my husbands name starts wiht an A, I’m a K. So there’s K = [name_f]Kate[/name_f], A= [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. He’s in favor of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] as of lately, but he will CALL the baby [name_f]Mila[/name_f].

Confusing and I am taking a break from thinking about it haha :slight_smile: Thanks for everyone’s help

I think [name_f]Mila[/name_f] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] go great together! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you feel they don’t, I don’t think sibling names need to match too much.

I dont mind [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] together. To me, they are not too off. I mean if you had one kid name [name_f]Destiny[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and the other [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] [name_f]Elara[/name_f] [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] I’d maybe raise an eyebrow over where you naming taste suddenly changed.

Plus, I think its really sweet that you daughter is so invested and is love with the name [name_f]Mila[/name_f].

I don’t think sibiling names have to match. It’s always fun thinking of a good sibset, but [name_m]IRL[/name_m], if my 2 favourite names were [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Destinee[/name_f] that’s what I’d use.
I’m not a fan of [name_f]Mila[/name_f], nothing wrong with the name, I just don’t feel it.
But if you like it, it goes fine with [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

Classic names that aren’t overused are [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (I also really like [name_f]Kate[/name_f] & [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]), [name_f]Julia[/name_f]…