Sister for Nathan & Susannah. Discouraged…

I love Colette!! [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter Susannah’s friend (my friend’s daughter :slight_smile: ) is just ten days older and her name is [name_f]Colette[/name_f]. She sometimes goes by [name_u]Coco[/name_u]. So they’re [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] and [name_u]Coco[/name_u]. So cute.

1 Like

We can’t use color names :confused: Our surname is a secondary color starting with “G.” It kills me bc I love love [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and also adore [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. We named our dog [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] bc we thought it was funny but I couldn’t do that to my kid.

I don’t know why I always forget [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]. And I’m [name_u]French[/name_u]! Lol. Thank you!

What about [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]?
[name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] Gr… nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] Gr… nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
I also think [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] Gr… nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is fine!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] & [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] are lovely.

[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is super cute & totally works. I’m guessing that you’d find [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] too frilly? It’s another idea. I like [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] best myself.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] does seem to fit w/your crew, but it’s way popular & I don’t care for [name_u]Charley[/name_u]. It’s better for a boy & really bugs me that [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a soft ‘Ch’ & [name_u]Charley[/name_u] is harder. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is fun though.

The other name from your list that I want to mention is [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]. It’s your favorite of all time. Does your hubby like it? I think if it’s one that you both like, I’d go for it. [name_f]Olive[/name_f] (your last name) is maybe a bit odd (I love [name_f]Olive[/name_f] though!), but is [name_u]Haze[/name_u] (last name) that bad? Especially if it does happen to be the one name that you both love?

I won’t bombard you with too many suggestions, but a few ideas that stand out…

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]

Abigail/Abbie

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]

[name_f]Celia[/name_f]

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]

[name_f]Hattie[/name_f]

[name_u]Holly[/name_u]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]

[name_f]Maisy[/name_f]

Okay, that’s a lot. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] some inspire you. :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! I feel like it flows well with your surname, but it’s a little too common. How about:

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] (goes with Susannah)
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] (Addie)

You say [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is your all time favorite, is your SO not on board? What if you compromise on the middle name?

How about [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] (Madeline) instead of [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]?

I like the suggestion of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] which seems like a good blend of [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] :blush:Good luck!

So sweet :heart_eyes: I love that

The post says they can’t use color names, the last name + [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a color.

Ok.

I actually know a [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u] if that makes you feel any better OP!

1 Like

[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] “Maggie”
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] “Maddie”
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Libby[/name_f]
[name_u]Payton[/name_u]
Adrienne/Adrian

What about [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], or [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] for some similar names to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]?

I think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is stunning and such a classic. You could use [name_f]Carlotta[/name_f] to make sure [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is used as a nickname.

[name_f]Hallie[/name_f] is beautiful, sweet and delightful. What about [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_u]Halley[/name_u], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Holly[/name_u] or [name_f]Halia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] is so cute but I understand that there are some negative associations with the name. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] reminds me of [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f].

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Brielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Penny[/name_u]
[name_u]Joan[/name_u]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Donna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]

I dont think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is too formal!! To me it feels approachable and wearable! Plus, [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is lovely!!

I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and I don’t know why you can’t call her both [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and [name_u]Charley[/name_u]? It’s like you both have a personal connect with her.

Other ideas:
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f] (Evie)
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (Lia/Fifi)
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] (Abbie)
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] (Birdie)
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (Lulu)
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] (Claire/Clara)
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f] (Talia)
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] (Viv/Vivi)
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (Jojo/Josie/Posie)

[name_m]Nathan[/name_m], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], and:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Brianna[/name_f]
Winifred/Winnie
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

Also, just wanted to throw this in as someone named [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. (Full name Margaret.) I’m a millennial so this might not be the case for a baby born today since [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is so popular now, but EVERYONE first thinks my name is [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] when I first introduce myself. So naming her [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] will probably really reinforce that, and people may eventually just start calling her [name_f]Maddie[/name_f].

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] would have been my top suggestion to go with [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] and [name_m]Nathan[/name_m]! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] feels very versatile, equally able to be warm and homey like [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] as able to be regal (I think the nickname of choice further reinforces this, and Nell/Nellie, [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f], and Nates are to die for!)

[name_f]Helena[/name_f] is also very lovely, though I think it does feel a little more regal than [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] and [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] (though not necessarily by much, I still think they fit well).

Would you maybe be interested in [name_f]Helen[/name_f]? I think it fits beautifully with your children’s names, is familiar but still underused, and is more than ready for a comeback! Plus, you’d still have an easy path to Nell/Nellie :slight_smile:

I don’t think Eleanor(a/e) is too formal / regal for [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] at all, in fact I think they are very precisely matched, exactly the same style of name. [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] is a regal and beautiful (not stuffy), but with a more down to earth nickname, exactly as [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] would be. I think of these names in the same bracket as other classics such as [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (love), [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], Eliza(beth). [name_f]Helena[/name_f] would yield the same nn (Nell), but I would go for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] of the two to have a different ending sound. You’d also want to consider if it matters to you to end up with two nicknames of the same initial, [name_m]Nate[/name_m] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f], and Susannah’s nn be the odd one out.
I’ll echo other’s suggestions of [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and Magdalen(a/e) to get [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] nn. I think [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] would mostly likely get [name_f]Maddie[/name_f], and forcing an unintuitive nn rarely works irl imo, i.e, people will use the intuitive one whether you like it or not, unless you actually introduce the child as the desired nn only from the start. If that’s the case, it renders the longer name a birth certificate formality, and there doesn’t seem much point in that.
[name_m]Can[/name_m] I ask, what matters more to you, the nickname or the actual name?

Really!?! Married into it or by birth? I’m [name_u]Jeanne[/name_u] (pronounced Jean) [name_u]Green[/name_u]. I married into it, but people certainly chuckle when they meet me for the first time :slight_smile: I just don’t want people to say “Did they really do that to their kid?”

Thank you. The only nickname that matters is [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. I love it as a name but would want a formal name for her that’s we’d likely rarely use. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] became [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] by chance. I’d intended her to be [name_f]Annie[/name_f] but my son was only 17 months and we were playing with nicknames one day and he heard us say [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] and he said “Doo doo!!! And kept calling her that all day. She she became [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f].

1 Like

That’s cute as a button. Best of luck with whatever you choose, I’m sure it will be lovely as you have great taste.