Sister for Petra

Current names that we are considering, but not in love with any (yet)

[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] ([name]Una[/name]?)
[name]Alice[/name] (I like the idea of this name, more than the name itself, if that makes any sense)

suggestions? We’re are sort of casting around blindly right now.

Thanks!!

I love [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] with [name]Petra[/name]. [name]Petra[/name] is a beautiful choice by the way :slight_smile:
Here are some names that I think go well with [name]Petra[/name].

[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name] ”[name]Elsa[/name]”
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] ”[name]Evie[/name]”
[name]Mathilde[/name] / [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] / [name]Adela[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] ”[name]Greta[/name]”
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]

My favourites are [name]Petra[/name] and [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Petra[/name] and [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Petra[/name] and [name]Mariel[/name].

To help me a bit, what is Miss [name]Petra[/name]”s middle name (if you don”t mind sharing)?

I hope you like some of these suggestions :slight_smile:

I think [name]Alice[/name] would be lovely with [name]Petra[/name]! What about:

[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Magdalen[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]

[name]Petra[/name] sounds nice but only if you have a European accent where it has a softer sound. The way we say it is harsh and uncompromising.

Oops hope that didn’t offend you. Of your choices I like [name]Gretchen[/name] the best with it and I would also like [name]Lorelai[/name], [name]Liesel[/name], [name]Brigitte[/name], [name]Sabine[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name].

rollo, no offense taken. We love her name and have received nothing but good comments about it.

kaybee, her middle name is [name]Marie[/name], a family name.

As for all the suggestions, don’t you think a name ending in “a” would sound too matchy matchy with [name]Petra[/name]?

I like [name]Liesl[/name] & [name]Mathilde[/name], but my husband does not. [name]Ingrid[/name] is out for personal reasons.

I like [name]Camille[/name] b/c it is very much the same type of name as [name]Petra[/name] – reached its peak in (US) popularity during the 1920’s, both around 500 on the SSN name list. In fact that’s where I first came across it as an idea, while researching [name]Petra[/name]'s past popularity.

My favorite with [name]Petra[/name] would be [name]Gretchen[/name], then [name]Camille[/name]. Also, I don’t think a name would be matchy with [name]Petra[/name] solely because they both end in -a. For example I think [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Petra[/name] would be a bad pair since they have almost all the same sounds, but something like [name]Eliza[/name] with [name]Petra[/name] would be fine since they only have the a in common. Although I love [name]Alice[/name] I feel it’s a little common next to [name]Petra[/name] which makes it feel meek. Great choice by the way! [name]Petra[/name] is such a cool name.

I love [name]Petra[/name] for a little girl! [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Gretchen[/name] would make really nice sisters.

Suggestions:
[name]Adelaide[/name] / [name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] / [name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Alberta[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Monika[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name] / [name]Elsie[/name]
[name]Billie[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]

triceratops – I agree with [name]Alice[/name] feeling a little plain next to [name]Petra[/name]. But for some reason it still “calls” to me. And you’re right - [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Petra[/name] sounds fine, [name]Greta[/name] & [name]Petra[/name] silly!

maike - I like [name]Giselle[/name], but am not sure my husband will (we’ll see!) and also [name]Tilda[/name], but again, is it too similar in sound? [name]Petra[/name] & [name]Tilda[/name]?

I think I’m liking [name]Camille[/name] more and more but abhor the idea of the nickname [name]Cammy[/name] / [name]Cami[/name] (apologies to all you Camis out there!). I guess we could go [name]Millie[/name] instead.

The nickname [name]Millie[/name] is absolutely do-able, as the pronounciation (my pronounciation anyway) emphasises the -mille anyway.

[name]Camille[/name] is my favourite of your choices, followed closely by [name]Alice[/name]. I don’t find the name [name]Gretchen[/name] has an appealing sound. Did you like any of my suggestions previously?

I agree, [name]Cammie[/name] isn’t a great nickname. I like [name]Millie[/name] though, also [name]Milla[/name] or [name]Mia[/name] are possibilities as well. [name]Camille[/name] isn’t that long though, so I don’t think it would have to have a nickname.

More ideas-
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Verena[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Zadie[/name]