Sister for Phoebe

Thinking of names for [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Jane[/name]'s sister. I like classic names that are not overused. I love [name]Phoebe[/name]'s name but I think I am looking to go a bit more unusual this time. That said, flowery and fanciful doesn’t usually appeal to me. I tend to like more no-nonsense, if you know what I mean. Here’s what I’ve got.

[name]Margo[/name] (this was long thought to be the ONE. Now, I am wondering if it sounds fresh enough, esp. since a recent spate of Margarets and Maggies in my circle.)

[name]Sybil[/name] (this might be my new fave. We have a two syllable last name starting with S, and I have always liked alliterative names. Also like the Greek origin sharing with [name]Phoebe[/name]. And this definitely fits the bill for not running into other same-named babies at the supermarket!)

[name]Helena[/name] (Great grandmother is [name]Helen[/name], so that’s nice. [name]Don[/name]'t like the upward trending that seems to be going on.)

[name]Blythe[/name] ([name]Love[/name] the name, don’t know how I feel about it with [name]Phoebe[/name]. Seems kind of random.)

[name]Sylvia[/name] (This was considered when we named [name]Phoebe[/name]. I like it some days better than others.)

Middle name will be for DH’s grandmother, as [name]Jane[/name] came from mine. Therefore, I could go with [name]Jeanne[/name] or [name]Eugenie[/name], depending on the flow with the first name.

What do you think?

[name]Helena[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] are beautiful and sound the best with [name]Phoebe[/name] in my opinion.

[name]Margo[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] jane
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Sybil[/name] [name]Julia[/name]

[name]Sybil[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name] sounds really cute to me. It reminds me of the child actress [name]Sybil[/name] [name]Jason[/name] from the 1930s.

My favorites are [name]Margo[/name] and [name]Helena[/name]. [name]Jeanne[/name] goes with both; [name]Eugenie[/name] could also work with [name]Margo[/name] but not as good a flow with [name]Helena[/name].

[name]Margo[/name] - while I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Margo[/name], I think it is quite similar to [name]Margaret[/name] so I can see how it would bother you if there are same-age babies in the same circle. While [name]Margaret[/name] has a lot of nns, [name]Margot[/name] only really has [name]Margie[/name], which is similar to [name]Maggie[/name].
[name]Sybil[/name] - I just don’t like the sound of [name]Sybil[/name], sorry!
[name]Helena[/name] - I also really like [name]Helen[/name]. I like [name]Helena[/name], but there are quite a few options for pronunciation. To me the classic [name]Helen[/name] may be a good answer.
[name]Blythe[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name]. Although it doesn’t link overtly to [name]Phoebe[/name], to me they share the same spirit of good cheer. They’re both such happy names. Plus, they’re both just starting to sound fresh again. I think this is definitely your best option. [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name]. So pretty!
[name]Sylvia[/name] - This is the name I was going to suggest when I first read your post before I saw your shortlist. I think it goes brilliantly with [name]Phoebe[/name].

I would vote for [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] in that order.

I love [name]Margo[/name], and, as I said, it was always what I had planned on. For some reason, [name]Maggie[/name] is THE hot name right now among my friends. I know of four women in my circle who were hoping each other wouldn’t have a girl so they could use it. So I don’t want [name]Margo[/name] to seem run-of-the-mill. Also, I just can’t get to love any of the spellings. [name]Margo[/name] looks a bit incomplete, [name]Margot[/name] looks like, sorry!, maggot to me. =(
[name]Sybil[/name] seems to have the least support here. I understand that, but something about it appeals to me. It really pops with the LN.
[name]Helena[/name] is probably more flowery than my usual tastes. I prefer Hel-in-a. I would hate to be correcting pronunciations all the time, but plain [name]Helen[/name] is a bit too rhyme-y with my last name.
[name]Blythe[/name] I love. Simple and clean. Nameberry freaks me out with the “could be the next [name]Brooke[/name]” prediction. WHAT?!
[name]Sylvia[/name] is beautiful. I love the meaning. The only problem is that I live in a border state and it is more common among the Hispanic population, meaning there are more young [name]Sylvia[/name]'s around than one would suppose.
I am such an agonizer!!

[name]Margo[/name] - so cute

[name]Sybil[/name] - I don’t like [name]Sybil[/name] that much. I don’t know why, I just never liked it. It makes me think of the word syllable.

[name]Helena[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Helena[/name]! Also love [name]Eleni[/name], the Greek form of [name]Helen[/name].

[name]Blythe[/name] - I tend to go for randomness. I think [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] are darling together.

[name]Sylvia[/name] - I used to love this name until one of the posters shared that to her the name [name]Sylvia[/name] looks like the word saliva. Now I prefer [name]Sylvie[/name].

Middle name will be for DH’s grandmother, as [name]Jane[/name] came from mine. Therefore, I could go with [name]Jeanne[/name] or [name]Eugenie[/name], depending on the flow with the first name. - [name]Jeanne[/name] and [name]Eugenie[/name] or lovely names.

Other no-nonsense names to go with [name]Phoebe[/name] ([name]Phoebe[/name] is one of my favorite names!):
[name]Ardith[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] - kind of matchy, but I love it.
[name]Delphine[/name] - nn [name]Della[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] - nn [name]Edie[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Irene[/name] - Greek, means peace, so lovely and underused.
[name]Iris[/name] - the Greek goddess of the rainbow! If it were me, I might choose this one!
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Melina[/name] - a Greek name
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

I love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Jane[/name] so much! :slight_smile:

[name]Margo[/name]: I really love it, and think it’s great with [name]Phoebe[/name]!

[name]Sybil[/name]: Because I think of [name]Sally[/name] [name]Field[/name]'s character in the movie [name]Sybil[/name], I like some of the other names more. (I’m sorry!) :frowning: It’s a great name, and I really need to attach it to a new association.

[name]Helena[/name]: I love [name]Helena[/name], and think it’s wonderful with [name]Phoebe[/name]. You could call her [name]Nell[/name] for short. :slight_smile:

[name]Blythe[/name]: I love [name]Blythe[/name], but can better see some of the other names with [name]Phoebe[/name].

[name]Sylvia[/name]: I like some of your other names more…

I’m voting for [name]Margo[/name] or [name]Helena[/name]. :slight_smile:

More you may like:

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] (nn [name]Cleo[/name])
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] (has the fee sound, though)
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] (feels spunky to me like [name]Phoebe[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Sally[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Have you thought of [name]Marguerite[/name]? It has the whole pretty French thing that [name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margo[/name] has without the spelling issues and it stands more distinct from [name]Maggie[/name] I think. Anyway, just an idea!

[name]Margo[/name] - I think this is a lovely sounding name, but I understand what you mean about the spelling. [name]Margo[/name], [name]Margot[/name] or Margeaux. [name]Margo[/name] looks unfinished, but not horrible. I’m just afraid she’ll spend her life saying “[name]Margo[/name] with no T” It can get annoying…take it from a “[name]Valeri[/name] with no E” That being said, I love my name and wouldn’t want it spelled any other way.

[name]Sybil[/name] - I really really like this name. I think [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Sybil[/name] sound very good together.

[name]Helena[/name] - This is a pretty name, but it seems a bit weighty to use with [name]Phoebe[/name].

[name]Blythe[/name] - I have always loved this name. I think after [name]Sybil[/name], this is my favorite combo with [name]Phoebe[/name].

[name]Sylvia[/name] - I don’t like [name]Sylvia[/name]. I love [name]Sylvie[/name] though. Only thing is… [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] kind of sound the same to me.

I really like the [name]Sybil[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] combo the best. [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] are my second favorite.

[name]Sybil[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name]

I really love the combos [name]Margo[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] is one of my favorite names, and I’ve always thought [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] both went with it really well. I’d never thought of [name]Margo[/name], but I really like it!

Other names I like with [name]Phoebe[/name]:
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Leona[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]

[name]EDIT[/name]: I really love lamps idea of [name]Marguerite[/name]! This is such a beautiful name and a great alternative to [name]Margo[/name], though I don’t think [name]Margo[/name] will blend in with [name]Maggie[/name] too terribly.

Well, y’all have pretty much nailed my taste! Of the ones you suggested I have considered
[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Sally[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
And my dog’s name is [name]Olive[/name]!

I love the idea of [name]Iris[/name], but my last name starts with an 'S" and when you chop of the ‘S’ it becomes an even more common surname. Therefore, a child named [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Frances[/name] would be constantly correcting her last name, which we have to do enough already.