Sister for Rebecca

Hello,

Please help me decide on the name for my second daughter. I have a toddler named [name]Rebecca[/name]. It is very important to me that the names “go together.” Here are the choices, in alphabetical order:

[name]Christina[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Sara[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]

Some of the above choices are mine, some are my husbands. There is one I am very strongly leaning toward that I cannot get out of my mind and haven’t been able to for nearly my entire pregnancy! But I would like to know what others think. Which is the best name to go with [name]Rebecca[/name], and why? Or, if there are other suggestions, please offer them too. Our last name is 2 syllables. Thanks!

My favorite is definitely [name]Susanna[/name]. I can certainly see her as [name]Rebecca[/name]'s sister. I think they’re both classically sweet, but spunky at the same time. [name]Do[/name] you call [name]Rebecca[/name] by a nickname at all? Because the nicknames [name]Becca[/name] and [name]Susie[/name] flow just as well as the full names. Many of your other names could work well too, but this is far and above my favorite combination. They seem to me to have the same style, sound like they were probably popular at the same time. Hmm, quite nice.

oh, also, I’m very curious what your favorite is… after all, that’s the most important thing!

[name]Rebecca[/name] is a beautiful name! I also love the names [name]Clara[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Natalie[/name] (like it more than [name]Natalia[/name] unless your last name goes better with [name]Natalia[/name]), and [name]Veronica[/name]. But I don’t really like [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name] together. Too much “ca” at the ends of both names. I love [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] the most with [name]Rebecca[/name]. [name]Sara[/name] is pretty, too. My sister named her daughter [name]Julia[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]. [name]Sara[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] are both biblical names just like [name]Rebecca[/name]. So they are all well-suited. I also like [name]Rachel[/name]. When I say [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] to myself, they just sound nice together. It’s hard for me to pick just one of those choices because so many of them are lovely. I would have to know what your last name is.

I like [name]Christina[/name] best with [name]Rebecca[/name].

I love the name [name]Julia[/name]. It is my daughter’s name. It’s a classic name and I think it goes well with [name]Rebecca[/name]. I also like [name]Susanna[/name] and [name]Sara[/name]. Two other pretty biblical names are [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name]. I think you should use the one that you’ve been leaning toward. If you love the name, then it’s the right one.

Thank you all for your advice. The name I cannot get out of my head is [name]Susanna[/name], so I was very happy to read the first post! It’s strange, because before this pregnancy it was never a name I thought about much, but now I just can’t get it our of my head. Once in a while I think of [name]Julia[/name], but I always come back to [name]Susanna[/name]. It just seems like her name.

I like the way it has the same # of letters and syllables as [name]Rebecca[/name]. Also, both names are consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel-double consonant-“a”. [name]Both[/name] have Hebrew and biblical roots, and both were used in the days of the puritan settlers in New [name]England[/name]. Neither are super popular, but neither are unheard of.

My only concern: are they too matchy-matchy? And since [name]Rebecca[/name] is more of a common name, with [name]Susanna[/name] a little more of an unusual choice, would that influence their personalities at all?

And what about the song “Oh [name]Susanna[/name]”?

oh i’m so glad [name]Susanna[/name] is your favorite! Addressing your concerns, I don’t think they’re too matchy-matchy at all. And I HATE matching names. Sure, they have the same pattern, but the sounds are so different that it doesn’t sound matchy to me (I’d be more concerned about [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name], personally).

As for [name]Rebecca[/name] being more common, I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not like [name]Susanna[/name] is an exotic name, it doesn’t sound uncommon. I actually just looked it up on the SSA list and was shocked to see it hasn’t been in the top 1000 since '97. It certainly sounds more common than it is.

I love [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Susanna[/name]!

I like [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Susanna[/name] together. To me they sound related enough to be a really good pairing, but far from the matchy territory.