Sister for Virginia...Sylvia?

Hi all! Officially in the “any day now” wait for baby #4, our second daughter. We’re still mulling over a hefty short list at this point :see_no_evil:.

My question is this- our first daughter’s name is [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] (goes by [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] a good majority of the time), and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (NN [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]) is a top contender. But my hormonal overthinking brain is worried about naming both my daughters after (albeit amazing) women writers who both had tragic endings :grimacing:. Am I over thinking this? [name_u]Or[/name_u] does the [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m]/Sylvia Plath connection seem problematic to you too? [name_f]My[/name_f] DH is unconcerned :joy:. Thanks!

3 Likes

I made no connection to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], so I think it’s usable. They’re both the same vintage style and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] go very nicely together

3 Likes

This is exactly what I needed to hear :joy:. Thank you both! Overthinking is my middle name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] didn’t want to name my daughter [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and then have every other person we met bring up their names’ literary namesakes.

1 Like

Virginia & [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] go so well together! Yes, I did make the connection immediately, but I wouldn’t have assumed it was on purpose, nor do I think it’s problematic.

I’m aware of both writers but didn’t think of either of them immediately, so it seems fine to me!

I don’t think the [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath connections are a problem! [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]’ would be a great sister for [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]’.

Those are wonderful sister names, and I never would’ve made that connection!

Same for me - I wouldn’t have made the connection if you hadn’t mentioned it, and I’m an avid reader of both authors. I think generally authors’ first names aren’t automatically associated with them unless the name is more unusual. Like, I wouldn’t think that siblings [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_m]William[/name_m] were named after [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], and [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] either!

Congratulations and good luck!

I actually love the literary connection between those two sister names — both great writers, and for me their lives and works define them far more than their deaths. I don’t think it will be something many people (if any) think of when meeting adorable sisters with these names.

Namesakes aside, I think [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] make for wonderful sibling names. Both strong and sophisticated, traditional but not common, with a long history and many illustrious namesakes. And I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] for short, especially with [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I actually didn’t think of it, even though I love [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_m]Woolf[/name_m] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath!

I really like them together.

I didn’t make the connection to the writers either. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was how wonderfully those names go together. I also like the shared ‘v’ in their names.

The other thing I will say is that the literary connection is even less noticeable when you consider the names of all your children. When you add your sons’ names to the mix, it will significantly dilute the perception further. [name_f]Nor[/name_f] does it seem a problematic one in the first place. If it ever comes up, you can tell the person it was just a nice coincidence.

Look forward to hearing your final choice once the baby arrives!

I got the connection but I actually love it. As a [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] myself, I very rarely get [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath comments and when I do it’s always a positive thing. I love the literary connections of [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], they’re so perfect together! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I wouldn’t have caught that even though I love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath so I don’t think it’s a problem! I think the names are wonderful together too :blush:

I didn’t think of the associations until you pointed out. They’re wonderful together!

Firstly congratulations :partying_face::partying_face:

I am aware of both writers but until you pointed it out I did not see any connection and since having it pointed out do not see any problem. I think [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] & [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] work perfectly together go for it!

I didn’t even think of putting the two names together until you said that! But I think [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] sound quite nice together.:blush:

I don’t really know who you’re talking about. [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are sooooo sweet together, I love it.

Both names have the same style and even though I know both authors, I didn’t think of them. [name_m]Even[/name_m] after reading your comment about [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath, I’m not bothered by it. I think you should go for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] if you like it :slight_smile:

Sylvia is beautiful! Goes very well with [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]! I think naming your daughters after incredible authors is so beautiful and inspiring! I wouldn’t worry about the tragic ending part because most people only think about the works of literature when thinking of those authors!