Sister to Adair

Need help with suggestions naming a sister to my first, [name_u]Adair[/name_u] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]–due in a few months! We feel we struck gold with [name_u]Adair[/name_u] and are hoping for same magic. Looking for something that is uncommon, doesn’t end in “a” as our last names does, that is phonetic/easy to say (our last name is very challenging), and has some connection to [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] or [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] (loosening this a bit).

Any ideas? Names below that we’re thinking of so far. The no “a” ending is especially challenging. Thank you!

We like:
-[name_f]Esme[/name_f] (I know, not exactly phonetic and Scottish connection somewhat a stretch)

-[name_f]Fione[/name_f] (I like but we have nephew [name_u]Finn[/name_u] so might be too close)

-[name_f]Saraid[/name_f]/Seraid (love name, especially second spelling–as don’t love name [name_f]Sara[/name_f]–which I found in ancient Irish history books. Seraid was a queen in Muskerry. The trouble is the pronunciation. I like it said the way its spelled and seems folks with name do pronounce it this was in Aus and [name_f]England[/name_f], but it’s technically Sorid or Suhray.)

-Erraid (Scottish island, but error?)

-[name_f]Mairead[/name_f] (clearly I love the -aid sound. Husband thinks sounds old lady. Also pronunciation issues.)

-[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but becoming popular in area and husband doesn’t love so probably a “no.”

[name_f]Mairead[/name_f] is gorgeous with [name_u]Adair[/name_u]!! I love [name_u]Adair[/name_u] btw!

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and…

[name_f]Roisin[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Ismay[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabli[/name_f]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]

1 Like

From your list I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] best.

Other names that came to mind were [name_u]Skye[/name_u] and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]. Also really like the suggestion [name_f]Mabli[/name_f]

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] back, @ConcordNames! Your first daughter’s lovely name has really stuck in my memory so it’s great to see you again :slight_smile:

Congratulations on #2! I really like [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], Seraid and [name_f]Mairead[/name_f] from your list. I also love @Greyblue’s suggestions of [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Ismay[/name_f] for you.

[name_f]Fione[/name_f] would get mixed up with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], I think, and Erraid does look a little too close to “error” for comfort.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_f]Etain[/name_f]
[name_f]Liadain[/name_f]/[name_f]Liadan[/name_f]
[name_f]Iseult[/name_f]
[name_f]Marsaili[/name_f]
[name_f]Ione[/name_f] (OK, OK, not Scottish but v similar to Scottish island [name_f]Iona[/name_f])
[name_f]Eimear[/name_f]
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]
[name_f]Aifric[/name_f]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u]
[name_f]Morven[/name_f]
[name_f]Mairi[/name_f] (or [name_f]Mhairi[/name_f], but that’s not so phonetic in [name_f]English[/name_f] – pronounced VAH-ree)
[name_f]Islay[/name_f] (pronounced EYE-la, but you could maybe pronounce the final y to avoid the -a ending)
Faray
Lismore
[name_f]Ailis[/name_f]/[name_f]Eilis[/name_f] (or spell with a -sh at the end for easier pronunciation)
Fennor (form of Fionnuir)
[name_u]Fife[/name_u]/[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f]
[name_f]Aisling[/name_f]
[name_f]Deirdre[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_u]Adair[/name_u] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] that’s a very strong and pretty name.
[name_f]Mairead[/name_f] is my favorite- I don’t think it sounds old lady-ish at all. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is very pretty but I wouldn’t see it as a particularly Scottish/Irish name. I love [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]- too bad Hubby isn’t on board. Erraid doesn’t quite sound like a name? I do like [name_f]Saraid[/name_f]/Seraid but I think pronunciation might be hard. Would you be open to Welsh names? Very few of those end in “a”.

Some other suggestions:
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f]/[name_f]Brighid[/name_f]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Taryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Maureen[/name_f]
[name_f]Niamh[/name_f] (neve)
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ailish[/name_f]
[name_f]Marsaili[/name_f]
[name_f]Muriel[/name_f]/[name_f]Meriel[/name_f]
[name_f]Colleen[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f]! [name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] are great.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first idea was [name_f]Grier[/name_f]/[name_f]Greer[/name_f], but maybe that’s too unisex now? It seems much more unisex than the options you listed. Other great Gaelic/Scottish names with [name_u]Adair[/name_u]:

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] (love this!)
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Fia[/name_f]/[name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] (ooh, ends with an A, but it’s so lovely with [name_u]Adair[/name_u]!)
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] (AY-lee, which I love!)
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Lileas[/name_f]

This is hard, because so many of my of my Scottish and Gaelic favorites end in an A—[name_u]Fiadh[/name_u], [name_f]Iona[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Fenella[/name_f], [name_f]Oona[/name_f]/[name_f]Una[/name_f], etc.!

Good luck!

1 Like

From your list my favorites are [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Mairead[/name_f], and maeve

You have some great suggestions already please consider repeats as seconds

First thing that came to was [name_f]Oonagh[/name_f]/[name_f]Oona[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Oona[/name_f] & [name_u]Adair[/name_u] would be swoon worthy together

Other ideas

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] & ______:

[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
Caitrín
[name_f]Mab[/name_f]/[name_f]Mabli[/name_f]
[name_f]Siobhan[/name_f]
[name_u]Tierney[/name_u]
[name_u]Duffy[/name_u]
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f]/[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Clodagh[/name_f]
[name_u]Darragh[/name_u]
[name_f]Aine[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eithne[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_u]Marron[/name_u]
[name_f]Goldie[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u]

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]
[name_f]Mhairi[/name_f] (I nannyed a Scottish girl with this name and she pronounced it m-R-ee)
[name_f]Niamh[/name_f]
[name_f]Aisling[/name_f]
[name_f]Morag[/name_f]
Rosin
Sinaed
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] (reference to Irish 4 leafed clover)
[name_f]Aoife[/name_f]

1 Like

What wonderful feedback and suggestions–thank you all! Seems consensus around [name_f]Mairead[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f], which is great–my top two really. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the additional ideas too, thank you!

I really like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] with [name_u]Adair[/name_u]! I also like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and the suggestions of [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] and [name_u]Mirren[/name_u]. I’ll add:

[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Regan[/name_u]

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] sound perfect together. So complimentary.